Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Something You Love About Your ICE Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In terms of the Mercedes Benz petrol cars I owned most recently before the Tesla, I am not sure there was anything I "loved" about them that the Tesla lacks. But it did have the advantages of doors with frames around the windows (my biggest annoyance about the Tesla, especially in winter), a better HVAC system (especially the defroster), and a CD player (sorry, I am a bit old school!). Actually, scratch the CD player -- the Tesla USB port reads every CD I own from a memory stick and I never have to re-load 6 CDs to get a new bunch of songs.
The fit and finish and some of the creature comforts were no doubt better, and there was a more extensive choice of paint colors, but I am content with model S despite its immature cabin design and lack of some amenities.
Actually, maybe the one thing I missed initially was that I could buy a good used high quality car for $15,000 or less that still was comfortable, quiet and had many years of life left on it. Not sure Model S will get to that point....

Reactions: arnis
After not having driven the old car for almost two months, I used it today (fits long stuff inside). What I immediately noticed as much better than in the Model 3 was the visibility. Now while the Model 3's massive A-pillars really obscure stuff in an obvious way, I think it's more than that, somehow. The old car just felt so airy, I had the impression that I could see so well. Perhaps it's because one sits a bit higher up in it.

And the steering; no power assist, feels heaps more communicative, lots of feedback from the tyres. Sure one has to turn the wheel many more degrees but that's not an issue if one is not racing...

But the rest. Ugh!

Popping into 4 low and plowing through 3 feet of snow without a worry. X is great in the winter, but can’t do that trick.

What he said.

my other... not so eco friendly... 'car'
FB_IMG_1549954030584.jpg

I love that I can take the doors and roof off my anti-Tesla: a 15-year old Jeep Wrangler. Biggest reason it's still around.

Otherwise, I'm only in the gas line at Costco twice a year. Those trips, plus an annual oil change and $250 per year for insurance constitute my annual cost of ownership.

In winter
2005 Jeep TJ - 2.jpg
I have trouble driving it enough to keep the battery charged....

It did come in handy when a F-150 rear ended my Model X.

Gotta tag onto this old thread.
It's been a long while since I've owned anything fun to drive until we picked up the 3 a few days ago and WE LOVE IT! Out of necessity/kids/lifestyle I've been stuck driving full sized trucks and SUVs for years. The 12mpg pig of an ICE vehicle will still have it's place though. It hauls the 5 of us plus 3 friends, dog, and all we need out there doing what we love to do. It's already just a weekend warrior and with the 3 in the stable now, this will probably only be driven when needed. It does what we need it to do.

fullsizeoutput_6d.jpeg

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
... I have trouble driving it enough to keep the battery charged....

I still own three pure ICE vehicles - two 2-seater fun cars plus a Suburban. Funny thing is that I have to conscientiously remember to drive them every now and then to keep their batteries charged as well. (Really want to replace the Suburban with something more 'rightsized' and plugs in. But nothing appeals to me yet. Maybe a Cybertruck someday?)

Easy to repair Can get parts anywhere Can take it to any competent repair shop If it gets damaged I can fix it myself If the engine or transmission goes bad I can go to GM and get a new one and replace it myself Sucks getting gas though However a car payment and insurance on a Tesla would be higher than what I spent a month on gas insurance and maintenance

That I can tow my trailer with 3 ton of hay on it.

I put an aftermarket hitch on my 2015 Model S with which I towed a trailer that would carry 3 tons. You said "can" tow. EVs have tons of torque and "can" tow a lot, and more easily than a similarly powered gas vehicle. Gas engines have really poor torque compared to their horsepower. That's why Tesla wants to get a semi into the mainstream, as it can pull 80,000 lb up a 5% grade and maintain the speed limit, rather than the 25 - 40 mph that standard trucks make on the same slope.

But I doubt you used your car to haul your hay.

One thing I like on most ICE cars (incl all BMW-s I have owned/used) - optimized parasitic load.
In that aspect MOST EV's, especially Tesla, is absolute F with a minus (Model 3 is still far from "ok").
Tesla just doesn't get it - car that is asleep shall never draw more than 50mA from 12V line.
OK, Tesla can do 100mA and recharge 12V using HV battery once a week. That is far from what is actually happening.
Tesla is "computer on wheels". Imagine your laptop draws 20% of power per day in standby and 5% in off state.

Second was already mentioned - actually capable HVAC. Missing pollution sensor, missing
condensation sensor, non-adjustable rear vents, non adjustable face vent temperature, non adjustable air distribution ratios
(can be fixed with software), non-adjustable AUTO mode (can be fixed with software).

1965 MGB Roadster. Really fun car to drive when you are young and lots of opportunity to learn how to fix things. I would not want to drive one now. (Well, maybe a little). A car from a different time and place.
Buying a classic car only makes sense if you have experience as a mechanic and want to keep it going or fix it up as avocation, or if you can spare the money to pay someone else to do that. I've been tempted over and over to buy a Corvair or a 1972 Lincoln Mark IV ( just checked listings again today) but that would be money I wouldn't have to put toward my Teslas.