Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity cost $9.99/month for many Model 3 versions

Will you subscribe to premium connectivity?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It usually shows I have a connection though, and music will be streaming, but it will still say routing with no traffic data.

I'm hesitant to take it back in because I just got my car back from service again, for like the 8th time. But if it is indeed a real issue then I had better get it back in before my warranty runs out.
Have you tried pressing the little traffic light icon off then back on? I've seen this once or twice but it was when I was in a dead cell spot that I know my phone cuts out as well.

Actually the SR+ does have the capability. I accidentally had it for a few minutes after one update along with google earth satellite view; others have reported the same thing happening after a software update.

Yes I agree. For me, I'm not really interested in web browsing or Slacker just the satellite maps and visual traffic. When my SR+ was delivered with 2019.15 installed this was installed but within three days, it was gone after an update.

I wonder if it will be the same price as other trims?
I thought the Standard Plus and (off-menu) Standard were the only ones with the "Partial Premium" trim, and thereby software-limited?

I did ask about buying in to the full infotainment package when I was considering the SR+, and the answer I got was "I'm pretty sure they're planning on making that an option sometime, but we have no timeline as to when that will be".

I thought the Standard Plus and (off-menu) Standard were the only ones with the "Partial Premium" trim, and thereby software-limited?

I did ask about buying in to the full infotainment package when I was considering the SR+, and the answer I got was "I'm pretty sure they're planning on making that an option sometime, but we have no timeline as to when that will be".

I think what @vickh was wondering is if after other trims’ ‘1-year free’ expires (and Tesla actually expires it, as opposed to now when nothing has happened yet) will they pay the same price for the functionality or will SR/+ owners have to pay more since we never paid for the feature to start with.

For the SR/+ I could see it being (a) the same, or (b) more, or (c) the same and a one-time “activation” fee.

In any case we already know the car is capable of it. I don’t think that was ever in doubt. It has LTE. The first SR+’s rolled off the lot with satellite maps in day or night mode by mistake, etc :)

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
You’re right, it does include the browser, satellite view maps and live traffic. And I agree, I’d happily pay just for access to live traffic on the maps. I’m so used to it on my current car and really couldn’t go back.

FWIW, the traffic on the current Tesla system has a L-O-N-G way to go. Waze is light years ahead and offers real-time hazard and public service (aka Police) location information based on live user reports. The traffic display in my Model 3 doesn't know about a freeway exit being closed (construction) now for over 5 months - that's pathetic. So my iPhone sits on the wireless charging pad running Waze giving me reports/routing on traffic and police locations and I ignore the Tesla traffic system.

Too bad they can't/haven't integrated Waze into that big beautiful screen!

FWIW, the traffic on the current Tesla system has a L-O-N-G way to go. Waze is light years ahead and offers real-time hazard and public service (aka Police) location information based on live user reports. The traffic display in my Model 3 doesn't know about a freeway exit being closed (construction) now for over 5 months - that's pathetic. So my iPhone sits on the wireless charging pad running Waze giving me reports/routing on traffic and police locations and I ignore the Tesla traffic system.

I hear you. Would be nice to have some form of apps even to get more media / nav type of stuff on screen.

But in general, having google maps with traffic info built in is quite nice.

Reactions: PhantmMenace
FWIW, the traffic on the current Tesla system has a L-O-N-G way to go. Waze is light years ahead... {snip}

I agree 100%. Still using Waze every day.

What's strange, given all that, is that the data on the MFD's navigation are sourced from Google, which is Waze.
Unless it has changed in the last couple of months, Waze is still it’s own platform. While there is some data exchange with Google Maps, they still operate independently. Have personally proven it a couple of times when I had a passenger in my car that used Google Maps exclusively and we compared the different routing. Though it was a Google engineer who told me about the remaining separation.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DopeGhoti
Yea just the satellite images are from Google. The "regular" maps are in house (Tesla made a big deal about it a year or so ago) and the Navigation/Routing data is from Navigon and/or TomTom.

So without Premium Connectivity you don't get Google Maps at all and with it it is just the satellite images.

Tesla is updating its maps and navigation with open source mapping platforms - Electrek

i found this out that today when Tesla's reroute put me thru a gated community, while Google did nothing on my phone till I backtracked Luckily it was a brief detour.

Reactions: ISoGrumpy
i found this out that today when Tesla's reroute put me thru a gated community, while Google did nothing on my phone till I backtracked Luckily it was a brief detour.
I first realized it when Tesla it told me to turn on a road that was not a road (just an entrance) that didn't connect to my destination. Apple Maps did the same thing. I know something was up. Apple Maps uses TomTom (but is switching to in house). So it was obvious the route was from TomTom and NOT Google Maps.

Thanks for asking that question and also answering it yourself with the link. Should be available for purchase later this year it says.

Where can Premium Connectivity be purchased?
Tesla owners will be able to purchase Premium Connectivity through the in-car touchscreen. We anticipate rolling out this functionality later this year.​
Be aware that video and sound do NOT work in the Model 3 web browser (at least not yet).

Reactions: darth_vad3r