Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price Drop of $2k on M3P+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Believe that Tesla was pretty smart about this.

The end of year tax credit created tremendous demand, and Tesla was able to ramp up production higher than ever before. They began to batch produce many cars, so could quickly process last minute orders.

This increased production rate reduced their costs and they are now able to reduce prices a bit, which partially offsets the new, lower tax credits.

The new, lower price, will also increase demand in the 1st quarter.

Nobody is due a refund.

I disagree. It was really silly to do this the day after. They should have at least waited until middle/end of the quarter.

For further evidence see: share price.

Why would they? Because you only save 1750 over the people who buy now, instead of 3750? If I was Tesla I would patiently explain that "well you purchased last week so will be getting the full tax credit, so your effective price is $1,750 lower than everyone who is buying now, so unfortunately we will not be able to refund any monies paid".

What argument would you even use to try to justify it? Completely different than the performance upgrade package debacle, as in that case the price actually DID change, somewhat arbitrarily, and people actually DID pay more. Anyone purchasing last week is paying less.
Cause people always feel entitled.

FFS, not again. You folks bought your cars at a price that you were happy with. That's why you bought them. Knock it off. If you're truly unhappy and you snuck in at the deadline, you're within your 3-day window to return the car.

Tell you what--for anyone interested, I'll reimburse you the $2k you're complaining about, right after you send me over the $3,750 you were eligible to obtain by purchasing by 12/31.

I see what you did there!

Reactions: Zaxxon
>>> I ordered the 3LR on October 15 and was $55k, at delivery on October 20 it dropped to $54k (I got the $1k back), today it's $51k...

How does one find the current price for a 3LR? It's not on the order page ... you make a phone call?

Originally the Model 3 Webpage was more detailed that now,
and you were able to find the following information:

$35,000 --> Model 3 (Base Short range battery: not available)
$14,000 --> Long Range (Optional)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$49,000 --> Model 3 Long Range - RWD

$ 5,000 --> Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive (Optional)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$54,000 --> Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive

Note: On the current Model 3 Webpage I find the $40,450 "After savings" and the $51,000 "Before savings"
to be confusing and even deceiving since the $4,300 Gas Saving is estimated over a period of 6 years
(but people seems to believe that the $4,300 Gas Saving is annual)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Incentives & Gas Savings
  • Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive$51,000
  • Incentives- $6,250
  • Gas Savings- $4,300
  • Price after Est. Savings$40,450
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Final Chance To Order Tesla Model 3, S, X For Full Tax Credit

Hi —-,

We recently introduced a more affordable Model 3 Mid Range Battery option for $34,200
after federal tax credit and gas savings.*

As a reminder, the full Federal Tax Credit of $7,500 ends after December 31, 2018.

Current delivery timelines are 4 weeks for the west coast, 6 weeks for central
and 8 weeks for the east coast.

For delivery under 4 weeks, you can pick up your car directly from our Fremont factory.

Order your Model 3 at https://tesla.com/3.

*Taxes and fees not included. Price includes savings of a $7,500 Federal Tax Credit
and estimated gas savings of $4,300 over 6 years. Depending on where you live,
you can save even more with local incentives.

Tesla | All Rights Reserved | 3500 Deer Creek Rd. Palo Alto CA 94304 Privacy Policy | Unsubscribe

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: TEG
I honestly cant even understand ANYONE talking about "refunds" in this situation.
NO ONE who bought at december 31st has "suffered" any sort of loss, unless they cant take the full tax 7500 tax credit... and if thats the case THEY KNEW IT ON DECEMBER 31st, and there should have been no rush for them to buy anyway in that case.

I was told I wouldn't be able to do the rate match guarantee if I didn't take delivery by the 31st. So that was my reason for wanting to take delivery before the 31st.... not the tax credit which doesn't apply to me. Also I think now they extended the guarantee, so I really feel duped. If I didn't need to rush to get the rate match, I could have waited and gotten the car at $2000 cheaper AND done the match! I really hope they offer a refund.

Reactions: adaptabl
Guys regardless of why he wants to return the vehicle and if that's a reason you agree with shouldn't matter and should be just background nouse.

I think the real issue is Tesla not honoring the one day return policy. That to me makes his situation very shady. Yeah, yeah some of y'all might say the return is only for people that aren't happy with the car and shouldnt include returning for the 2k price difference. To them I'd say why should the reason of the return have any bearing on if Tesla honors the policy or not.

Tesla not honoring the return policy should be the issue and not the 2k difference.

I called up my dealer to initiate a car return since I took delivery on 12/31 and dealership was closed yesterday. They said 'no return' since it's beyond the 1 day period even though they were closed yesterday so technically today is the first business day in my opinion. But they apparently don't see it that way.

I think they created a false sense of urgency for customers to buy by year end knowing that they will discount the cars right after. My dealer even stated today that further discounts to the MSRP will likely happen as the tax credit keeps getting reduced.

What is the real value of our cars if they keep cutting the price like this? Being in VA, my annual property is still going to be at a pre-tax credit valuation. Oh well....

3LR generally means the long range RWD, which is why people were confused.

3D is usually used to denote dual motor aka AWD.

I wonder if the 3SR should be called Model 3 Standard Range instead of Short Range?

The later 'short' name seems to be a little bit an awkward name for such exceptional and outstanding car.

Don't the 3SR will still get about 200 miles range, which is still impressing?

Last edited:
Look, Tesla is going to continue making better cars than your Tesla. They will go faster, look cooler, have more range, have nicer finishes and ultimately improved hardware. The price has gone down now too. . . It's how this whole thing works. . . You folks who just bought your cars are the latest in a very long line of "victims" of said progress. . .

This forum is littered with so many of these incidents going back years. .. Enjoy your car. It's transformational technologically, automotively and environmentally. . . All good.

Happy New Year.

I disagree. It was really silly to do this the day after. They should have at least waited until middle/end of the quarter.

For further evidence see: share price.
In hindsight with all the whiney people perhaps. Walk into any car dealer and everyone gets a different price.

But now they are simply cutting the difference. If they made the change mid-quarter it would claimed to be because they were not selling enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: NeverFollow
In hindsite with all the whiney people perhaps. Walk into any car dealer and everyone gets a different price.

But now they are simply cutting the difference. If they made the change mid-quarter it would claimed to be because they were not selling enough.
When both the 3LR and 3LR-D where available at the same time, it was a little frustrating to see the Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive option

jumping from $5k to $6k, then $4k, and finally $5k making you wonder if you should wait or jump when making a decision for getting a M3.

In hindsight with all the whiney people perhaps. Walk into any car dealer and everyone gets a different price.

I suspect there may be more price cuts later in the quarter to bring the final purchase price equal to or lower than it was in Dec 2018 and even more in Q3 2019

You know if they take off the premium interior that gets you down to 39000 and then the credit gets you down to 35250. Close enough I think. But that would probably require another production tent I guess, which is another topic.