Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production Halt on Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live by the Fremont factory. I'm still seeing daily truckloads of Model 3/Model Y's but with non-US license plate mounts. Looks like they might be prioritizing deliveries outside of the US.
My advisor told me in March that the first 2 months of production each quarter are designated for orders outside the US. The third month of the quarter is when they concentrate on fulfilling US orders. My estimated delivery date is showing as 5/10 - 5/23. My advisor told me today that this date is really just a guesstimate and could change several times before I actually receive the car. The important day is when you receive the VIN that has been assigned. Your delivery will most likely be about 2 weeks after that.

Can you guys update your signature with order configuration and date of order? It would help all of us to follow delivery dates.
I don't even remember when I ordered. I am an existing Model 3 owner. I first ordered the Model Y as soon as it was announced. A few months later the price dropped and I canceled and reordered the same car and saved $2k. I was asked to take deliver in Feb of 2020 (14 months ago) but I have put the order on hold multiple times to delay taking delivery, until now.

My advisor told me in March that the first 2 months of production each quarter are designated for orders outside the US. The third month of the quarter is when they concentrate on fulfilling US orders. My estimated delivery date is showing as 5/10 - 5/23. My advisor told me today that this date is really just a guesstimate and could change several times before I actually receive the car. The important day is when you receive the VIN that has been assigned. Your delivery will most likely be about 2 weeks after that.
Your advisor is not that informed unfortunately. Model Y’s produced at Fremont are only for the U.S.

I had my delivery dates change 3 times in the last 24hrs. I got excited with 4/12-4/25, then it changed to 4/13-4/25, this morning it’s back to 5/5-5/25. I assume that I should have gotten a VIN yesterday if it were really going to deliver as early as this week...

I had my delivery dates change 3 times in the last 24hrs. I got excited with 4/12-4/25, then it changed to 4/13-4/25, this morning it’s back to 5/5-5/25. I assume that I should have gotten a VIN yesterday if it were really going to deliver as early as this week...
Ouch! That’s painful to think about.
Mind putting your order details into your signature so we can easily tack what orders are getting what dates?

Reactions: Anndybo
I officially got a vin number! 173xxx April 12-16th delivery day. Ordered Dec 2th 2020, delayed till March 30, 21.

Located in Bay Area. White/ White / LR / Inductions
First, congratulations!

Still trying to fully understand the delay process since it seems to be unofficial. Upon your order on 02Dec2020 did you know you wanted to delay until end of March? And if so, was an initial VIN ever assigned, but you just were not ready and then did you ask to be delayed until 30Mar2021? Or did you have to continue to delay after several VIN assignments and you just waited until the first VIN after March 30th?

Reactions: olsookie
I officially got a vin number! 173xxx April 12-16th delivery day. Ordered Dec 2th 2020, delayed till March 30, 21.

Located in Bay Area. White/ White / LR / Inductions
I also ordered long time ago but delayed taking delivery for a very long time until now. Just got the 173xxx vin a few days ago, just a few days after I put my order out of the holding pattern.

In fact, I ordered the first time soon after the announcement of the Model Y in 2019 and reordered in mid 2019 when the price dropped. I was asked to take delivery in Feb 2020 but have been delaying it ever since (14 months+)

First, congratulations!

Still trying to fully understand the delay process since it seems to be unofficial. Upon your order on 02Dec2020 did you know you wanted to delay until end of March? And if so, was an initial VIN ever assigned, but you just were not ready and then did you ask to be delayed until 30Mar2021? Or did you have to continue to delay after several VIN assignments and you just waited until the first VIN after March 30th?
If you have a date hold on your reservation, they will not assign you a vin until after that day.

Otherwise, they will assign you a vin based on your config and your reservation # seniority. You can continue to delay delivery after you have been assigned a vin as well. When you're ready to take delivery again, you will be one of the first in line.

I inquired about early ordering to get a place in line but my SA advised that Tesla stopped doing that last year. Now if you place a deposit and delay your deposit is counted as a "preorder" Only you let the SA know you are ready they your place in line is based on shipping destination, and configuration.
I also learned that it is faster to add FSD after taking delivery unless you must add it at time of order because you have to include it in your financing.
VIN numbers may be assigned to your order but you may not know about it as it takes 2-3 days before the order page is updated with the VIN. In most cases the SA can inquire and get the number for you the time it was assigned as well as the date of build or born date,

My opinion is that Tesla also prioritizes shipping distance to achieve faster and higher delivery numbers, which is why California will get sooner target dates than those of us on the East Coast. Transit times are 5 days here in North FL.

I inquired about early ordering to get a place in line but my SA advised that Tesla stopped doing that last year. Now if you place a deposit and delay your deposit is counted as a "preorder" Only you let the SA know you are ready they your place in line is based on shipping destination, and configuration.
I also learned that it is faster to add FSD after taking delivery unless you must add it at time of order because you have to include it in your financing.
VIN numbers may be assigned to your order but you may not know about it as it takes 2-3 days before the order page is updated with the VIN. In most cases the SA can inquire and get the number for you the time it was assigned as well as the date of build or born date,

My opinion is that Tesla also prioritizes shipping distance to achieve faster and higher delivery numbers, which is why California will get sooner target dates than those of us on the East Coast. Transit times are 5 days here in North FL.
Tesla focuses on export first month, east coast 2nd~3rd month and west coast end of 3rd month of each quarter.

In the last quarter, WA/OR/CA all got theirs the last 2~3 weeks of March. From Feb~mid March the East Coast and Mid West were receiving theirs.