Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production X Configuration Has Begun!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congrats! Did you by chance mean 94xx? I don't think most would try to hide the second digit so maybe you just typed it in wrong?

If we know the second digit was a 4, then we can assume up to 9500 or so have been invited to configure. If 9xx4, we don't know if it's 9004 or 9994. :confused:

I guess even with those numbers, we could assume reservation holders from 1 up through (somewhere between) 9500-10000 have been invited so far. :smile:

Another TMC user reserved in April '14 and is 90xx... I did some forum searching since I am obsessed :) So presumably his is 90xx as well.

Oh crud. So if I consider biting the bullet and pick a 90D instead of a 70D, Tesla forces me to buy the silly air suspension, too, increasing the price even more. Every time I have a service loaner with air suspension I'm so glad that I have coils in my P85D.
It seems pretty clear to me that Tesla wants to make it easy for me to decide to cancel the reservation...
Isn't the air suspension included in the 90D or are you just forced to order it? (a required option - if that makes sense).

Congrats! Did you by chance mean 94xx? I don't think most would try to hide the second digit so maybe you just typed it in wrong?

If we know the second digit was a 4, then we can assume up to 9500 or so have been invited to configure. If 9xx4, we don't know if it's 9004 or 9994. :confused:

I guess even with those numbers, we could assume reservation holders from 1 up through (somewhere between) 9500-10000 have been invited so far. :smile:

I'm 98XX (May 2014) and do NOT have the configure button, maybe next week...

Anyone else unhappy to wait another year for a Model X 70D? We went ahead an order a Model S today so we at least have something cool to drive for the next year while we wait!
Welcome to the forum, SRLMD - great first post...
yeah, very disappointed in the additional delay (even started a thread just about that 70D deliveries starting H2/16)... when I reserved the car I was told I'd have it in "late 2014" - now it looks like late 2016... but then again, I reserved the Model X after driving a Model S for a while :)

I reserved the Model X after driving a Model S for a while :)[/QUOTE]

We wanted a Tesla after that first test drive in February! Now we are kicking ourselves for not immediately ordering a Model S! Oh well, it will be here soon and we can still hold our spot for a Model X next year...

I have been wondering about the air suspension. This would be my first Tesla, so don't have any feel for the difference between air suspension and coils for driveability, etc. You seem to not be a fan. Why?

Anyone else have an opinion as well?

I've been staring at the configurator for a week and can't make up my mind. Several permutations and no clear winner yet! FWP, for sure.

Sean

Oh crud. So if I consider biting the bullet and pick a 90D instead of a 70D, Tesla forces me to buy the silly air suspension, too, increasing the price even more. Every time I have a service loaner with air suspension I'm so glad that I have coils in my P85D.
It seems pretty clear to me that Tesla wants to make it easy for me to decide to cancel the reservation...

I have been wondering about the air suspension. This would be my first Tesla, so don't have any feel for the difference between air suspension and coils for driveability, etc. You seem to not be a fan. Why?

Anyone else have an opinion as well?

I've been staring at the configurator for a week and can't make up my mind. Several permutations and no clear winner yet! FWP, for sure.

I've done a lot of reading on this too, and the consensus I see is that it's really, really hard to tell the difference between the Air and the Coils. The Air is nice if you know you'll have a driveway that scrapes or the like. There's also a small, theoretical improvement in efficiency with the Air, although it's not enough that anyone seems to include it in their range calculations. Finally, if you want the towing package, you have to have Air. With those as the only known differences, you then have to decide if those improvements are worth $2,500.

Some random thoughts after ordering today...

90D, White/Tan/Black Headliner/5 seats/Autopilot/Hitch accessory/Premium Upgrades (Ouch!)

Order before test drive: Wasn't going to order until test drive, but was satisfied after ride @ Reveal. If it ends up not working out, I'm confident it could be sold at a minimum loss (especially after already using the tax credits) until the backlog of reservations is exhausted. Interest rates still very low, so not much lost tying up capital for awhile if necessary, so risk minimized and I get to play with it for awhile at least, hopefully for a very long time.

Black Headliner with Tan seats: The light version is a couple shades off of the Tan seating... looked light inside, but colors looked a bit off. Black matches the back of the seats and the dash and looks matched.

90D vs 70D: Extra mileage with 5 seats should max out range for traveling with less anxiety. (Kids are grown up) Air suspension with 90D OK since it is a SUV and it should elevate seating position more than coils. More consistent that way & a few months earlier delivery. Also if resold... more marketable.

Premium Package... the real dilemma... but again it goes to marketability later on... extra amount not really necessary, but hoping amount amount lost on any resale won't amount to much.

Lastly, the White nose... After December 18, I'm sure it will forever be reinforced (excuse the pun)/associated with Star Wars Storm Troopers! But my son promised to install a Blue LED light in the front opening so as to leave no doubt about that! As Mel Brooks said... May the Schwartz be with you!

For whatever it's worth, my most remembered first impression after the ride at the reveal, actually was the fantastic smell of the car.

Happy configuring/ordering everyone!

Anyone else unhappy to wait another year for a Model X 70D?
We went ahead an order a Model S today so we at least have something cool to drive for the next year while we wait!

I reserved the Model X after driving a Model S for a while :)

You may find that you have enough utility with the massive rear trunk in the Model S that you don't really need the Model X. :cool:

Just FYI since I am not out here much. I got my config email tonight and completed it just now. Midnight P90D with most of the options. I made my reservation in 2013. I think I was in the 5000-6000 range but honestly didn't keep track. I had the original roadster and loved it but it was just too "out there" for me and family. I have a red sig model S and it is the best car - by far - I have ever owned. I am not trading it in. It is way too cool for me to ever give up. I configured my Model X tonight but don't expect to receive it for a long time. I - like many - have been very disappointed in the communication from tesla about "when" but since I have been driving my model S since October 2012, I am not *itching* for the X. I wish I could give up my S for the X but I just plain can't. I love it too much. Hope I am as happy with the X as with my S. I got the 6-seat option since my kids are now going to college and I dont need to haul all their friends around ...

Last edited:
Hello - just configured and ordered my X90D (black/20"/ultra-white/6 seats/autopilot/premium/cold weather), and I have 2 questions, wondering if anyone can please clarify?:

1. Do the front seats have seat warmers available only with the cold weather package? I live in LA and don't have any need for that package, but my wife likes to have the warmer for driver's seat so I added the package because it seems like that's the only way to get any seat warmers at all (unlike in our S70D with premium package which has warmers in the front seats)?

2. After configuring, the image for my X on the Tesla site and the confirmation email shows a rear spoiler -- is there a fixed spoiler that comes with the 90D? I'd rather not have a spoiler.

I am hoping that Tesla gets fewer "P" orders than expected and the non-P 90Ds start rolling out by March or April!

Thank you! Joseph

Hello - just configured and ordered my X90D (black/20"/ultra-white/6 seats/autopilot/premium/cold weather), and I have 2 questions, wondering if anyone can please clarify?:

1. Do the front seats have seat warmers available only with the cold weather package? I live in LA and don't have any need for that package, but my wife likes to have the warmer for driver's seat so I added the package because it seems like that's the only way to get any seat warmers at all (unlike in our S70D with premium package which has warmers in the front seats)?

2. After configuring, the image for my X on the Tesla site and the confirmation email shows a rear spoiler -- is there a fixed spoiler that comes with the 90D? I'd rather not have a spoiler.

I am hoping that Tesla gets fewer "P" orders than expected and the non-P 90Ds start rolling out by March or April!

Thank you! Joseph

It is not obvious based on the Design Studio, but I am fairly sure heated front seats is standard. The cold weather package gives you heated seats in the 2nd row and 3rd row (if ordered). It also gives you the heated steering wheel, washer nozzle, and wiper blades.

I *think* they are just using a single image of the P90D with the active spoiler deployed.

I wouldn't hold your breath on getting a 90D in March or April.

#5699 configured and ordered. Noticed several things... no option to add on a HPWC, no option to add on Extended Warranty and no option to add on a Service Plan (*edit: found a new thread addressing this question: Model X Service Plans) . Is this going to a a "do you want to add" thing when they call for us to make final payment arrangements?

Also, does anyone know if you get the bike/ski rack included if you add on the Tow package? Will that be an optional accessory available in the shop later on?

Last edited:
It is not obvious based on the Design Studio, but I am fairly sure heated front seats is standard. The cold weather package gives you heated seats in the 2nd row and 3rd row (if ordered). It also gives you the heated steering wheel, washer nozzle, and wiper blades.

I *think* they are just using a single image of the P90D with the active spoiler deployed.

I wouldn't hold your breath on getting a 90D in March or April.
Actually, they are using the deployed spoiler pictures for the 90D and 70D as they come with a fixed deployed spoiler. The P comes with the active spoiler and the pictures all show it in the down or hidden position.