Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA - periodically replace your NEMA 14-50 outlet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm an electrician, but that doesn't mean I'm a nema 14-50 authority. I installed the $8 dollar Home Depot 14-50 in my garage last week. It seemed to be of good enough quality. The outlet in your picture looks to be of really low quality. It looks to me like you have a loose wire or that the prongs aren't making very good contact inside the outlet.

Yeah mine seems pretty good too, and I could replace it at least 10 times over before breaking even with the Hubbell. If insertion force is the test, then mine is holding up just fine.

To re-iterate my post up-thread, maintaining oxidation free plug blades and outlet contacts is more important than having $150 vs. $10 outlet, especially in cold climates. Think about it, garage floor during winter is a salty slush mess, and all this salt in enclosed space does not help with keeping blades/contacts oxidation free, and build up WILL cause increased resistance regardless of the outlet used. This is based on my practical experience of having the smell that was gone after cleaning the blades of NEMA 14-50 adapter.

Yeah mine seems pretty good too, and I could replace it at least 10 times over before breaking even with the Hubbell. If insertion force is the test, then mine is holding up just fine.

I also have the same Home Depot outlet. It is mounted on the ceiling beam in the middle of the garage, so I need to stand on step ladder to remove/insert adapter into the outlet. After 3.5 years of use it is still so tight, that in order to plug in I need help of other person holding my lower back, so I can get enough support to force adapter into the outlet. The adapter is removed/inserted about 12 times per year.

To re-iterate my post up-thread, maintaining oxidation free plug blades and outlet contacts is more important than having $150 vs. $10 outlet, especially in cold climates. Think about it, garage floor during winter is a salty slush mess, and all this salt in enclosed space does not help with keeping blades/contacts oxidation free, and build up WILL cause increased resistance regardless of the outlet used. This is based on my practical experience of having the smell that was gone after cleaning the blades of NEMA 14-50 adapter.

The metallurgy of the socket should be preventing that much corrosion. Also my socket is mounted at elbow level, so not close to the floor.

The metallurgy of the socket should be preventing that much corrosion. Also my socket is mounted at elbow level, so not close to the floor.

The coating on my plug was not really visible - what prompted me to clean it was characteristic "electrical" smell in the garage. My outlet is mounted about 9 ft from the floor level - on the garage ceiling beam. It was gone after cleaning the prongs of the adapter. So as far as my experience is concerned:
  1. Oxidation problem exists, it is just a matter of the environment, regardless of the hardware.
  2. It manifests with characteristic "electrical" smell and increase of the contact resistance. There was no visible signs of coating on the prongs of the adapter.
  3. Cleaning prongs of the adapter resolved the problem.

Ok, so very interesting (and un-timely) thread. I'm in the process of adding a 14-50 in my garage, to replace a lash-up connection to the 10-30 dryer plug that's been working for the past two years. Just getting nervous about the whole thing, and with an M3 being added to the family, and the tax refund running out, now was the time to do it.

The "un-timely" part of this is that I have already purchased and mounted the "Home Depot 14-50" socket, manufactured by Leviton. Given the stiff #4 wiring, and tight spaces, this was a B*&^% to install, and I'm not thrilled by the prospect of replacing it. Panel swap is tomorrow, to install the new breaker. Then, finally, we're live.

The question: Besides not cycling the unplug / plug thing too often (I'm guessing it will be several times a year), what other steps should I take to maximize its operational lifetime? Is contact cleaner (DeoxIT?) applied to the prongs of the plug sufficient? What form (spray or tube), and strength? They've got like a half-dozen varieties.

If used outside, a good option is the Midwest U054. It has the Cooper Wiring Devices (Now Eaton) installed and it's outdoor rated. Can be used indoors too. Available at most electrical wholesalers.
Midwest-MIDU054-99220.jpg

Reactions: JeffC
What is different about Ontarian electricity that requires different sockets and amperage limits? :)

The Ontario Electricity Safety Code is largely based on the Canadian Code which is very similar to the US National Code. In Ontario, there is a provincial body known as the Electrical Safety Authority who is responsible for enforcing the Code, issuing permits, performing inspections and so forth. I suspect that after investigating some of the adapter meltdowns and (at least) one garage fire, they likely ordered Tesla to issue the modified UMC and adapter limited to 32 amps. I can't think of any other reason why Tesla would have, without any involvement on my part, sent me a whole new UMC and adapter. I had never had a problem with my original UMC. What I don't understand is why Doug and presumably others in Ontario didn't get the modified set.

I looked on Leviton's web site, and don't see a 14-50 that looks like the pic in post 1.
I wonder if that's some POS Chinese counterfeit?
I agree it's a strange looking 14-50, but I think it's legit: 1279-W50 > Power Receptacles > Straight Blade Wiring Devices > Electrical Wiring Devices > Products from Leviton Electrical and Electronic Products It was probably a good thing that it was white. Those burn marks wouldn't be so obvious on a black outlet. The OP traced the problem back to some loose wiring. It's a common cause of overheating.

I had a work order to replace this last week. Notice that it's the neutral side that's chard. Whoever originally installed this didn't get the neutral tight enough.
IMG_1796.JPG

I looked on Leviton's web site, and don't see a 14-50 that looks like the pic in post 1.
I wonder if that's some POS Chinese counterfeit?
I agree it's a strange looking 14-50, but I think it's legit: 1279-W50 > Power Receptacles > Straight Blade Wiring Devices > Electrical Wiring Devices > Products from Leviton Electrical and Electronic Products It was probably a good thing that it was white. Those burn marks wouldn't be so obvious on a black outlet. The OP traced the problem back to some loose wiring. It's a common cause of overheating.
Um, except that mine is round and black. Sorry for the clumsy flashlight work; I was trying to highlight the embossed markings. Unfortunately, I no longer have the packaging it came in, but that can be faked too.

CAM00799.jpg

Now you have me worried (ask me offline about Home Depot and Xmas Tree Stands in 2003). I guess I can see what happens, monitoring closely with an IR heat meter to see if it gets warm. I tried inserting the UMC's 14-50 plug in, and it seems reasonably tight, but hard to know what is proper (not much experience with such things).

EDIT: I think this is actually a match, at least pretty close. Markings are slightly different. Um, and the rivets are different too. Maybe not so close...
279 > Power Receptacles > Straight Blade Wiring Devices > Electrical Wiring Devices > Products from Leviton Electrical and Electronic Products

Still going to monitor closely for a while... (Adding DeoxIT to the shopping list too.)

Last edited:
Regardless of the actual brand of the NEMA 14-50 outlet, are we NOT supposed to unplug the UMC from the outlet itself when not in use? I did not know that. I have been unplugging it whenever I'm not charging the car. That's bad for the outlet? :confused:

Um, except that mine is round and black. Sorry for the clumsy flashlight work; I was trying to highlight the embossed markings. Unfortunately, I no longer have the packaging it came in, but that can be faked too.

View attachment 207133

Now you have me worried (ask me offline about Home Depot and Xmas Tree Stands in 2003). I guess I can see what happens, monitoring closely with an IR heat meter to see if it gets warm. I tried inserting the UMC's 14-50 plug in, and it seems reasonably tight, but hard to know what is proper (not much experience with such things).

EDIT: I think this is actually a match, at least pretty close. Markings are slightly different. Um, and the rivets are different too. Maybe not so close...
279 > Power Receptacles > Straight Blade Wiring Devices > Electrical Wiring Devices > Products from Leviton Electrical and Electronic Products

Still going to monitor closely for a while... (Adding DeoxIT to the shopping list too.)
Yours looks legit. Not a bad idea to IR scan it. Scan your breaker panel also. I felt my adapter while the car was charging and it felt cool to the touch, but maybe I should break out the IR camera.

Regardless of the actual brand of the NEMA 14-50 outlet, are we NOT supposed to unplug the UMC from the outlet itself when not in use? I did not know that. I have been unplugging it whenever I'm not charging the car. That's bad for the outlet? :confused:
Most people that I know who use the UMC leave it plugged in except when going on a long road trip. There's really no need to have it in the car for most daily trips. I've done trips of over 200 miles and not taken it with me. If course there were public chargers and a Supercharger that I could've used, if necessary.

Reactions: Cyclone
Most people that I know who use the UMC leave it plugged in except when going on a long road trip. There's really no need to have it in the car for most daily trips.

Oh I hardly ever take the UMC with me. In my mind, I just thought keeping it plugged into the wall outlet would contribute to the "wear and tear" of the UMC unit itself when not in use, not to mention slow and tiny continuois energy draw from the outlet for no reason.

Oh I hardly ever take the UMC with me. In my mind, I just thought keeping it plugged into the wall outlet would contribute to the "wear and tear" of the UMC unit itself when not in use, not to mention slow and tiny continuois energy draw from the outlet for no reason.

I leave mine plugged in. But you could disconnect the adapter from the UMC instead, leaving the adapter plugged into the outlet.

Reactions: JClu
There was no evidence of a loose wire inside the NEMA connector. It was quite apparent that the wires in the switch box were not tightened adequately. So crappy outlet and crappy installation.

Going to get a HPWC to eliminate the plug. Will either replace switch or maybe upgrade the whole circuit to 100A.