Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pure BEV Dogma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Didn't say I agreed with the policy...

I think it's pretty obvious, if it's got a gas engine it isn't an EV, it's either an ICE or a hybrid. But the manufacturers invented the term extended range electric vehicle specifically for the purpose of causing confusion, and apparently it has worked, you only have to read this very thread to see how many people buy the marketing speak.

Sure, but I expect better of the moderators here. I correctly point out that a hybrid is a hybrid, and the post gets moved to the inappropriately named "Dogma" thread?

I know this is an important issue for you but it's become one of those topics that derails a perfectly good thread. There is no reason to argue what is and what isn't an EV outside this thread.

Car and driver calls the i8 and i3 a series hybrid to distinguish from the volt As a parallel hybrid. Distinction is if one can route power straight from ice to wheels. I think this is most accurate way so far to describe. None are EVs

There is no reason to argue what is and what isn't an EV outside this thread.

I wasn't really arguing, just pointing out a simple mistake. If someone called the Model S an ICE should that not be corrected?

Car and driver calls the i8 and i3 a series hybrid to distinguish from the volt As a parallel hybrid. Distinction is if one can route power straight from ice to wheels. I think this is most accurate way so far to describe. None are EVs

The Volt is a bit more complex and can operate in both series and parallel hybrid modes. Still a hybrid of course.

I think it's pretty obvious, if it's got a gas engine it isn't an EV, it's either an ICE or a hybrid. But the manufacturers invented the term extended range electric vehicle specifically for the purpose of causing confusion, and apparently it has worked, you only have to read this very thread to see how many people buy the marketing speak.

Since you seem to think this is black and white, I'm curious where you think the line is here.

The Model S as built is obviously an EV, right?

If you put a portable generator in the back to move it to another location, does that make the Model S a hybrid?

What if you bolt the generator in, but never use it to charge the car?

If you use the portable generator to charge the car while parked, does that make it a hybrid?

What if you override the car's code so the generator temporarily placed in the back can charge the car while it is driving?
Walter

Since you seem to think this is black and white, I'm curious where you think the line is here.

The Model S as built is obviously an EV, right?

If you put a portable generator in the back to move it to another location, does that make the Model S a hybrid?

What if you bolt the generator in, but never use it to charge the car?

If you use the portable generator to charge the car while parked, does that make it a hybrid?

What if you override the car's code so the generator temporarily placed in the back can charge the car while it is driving?
Walter

In case anyone cares, according to the Society of Automotive Engineers' definition of a hybrid, the last modification is required to make the car a hybrid.

GSP

In case anyone cares, according to the Society of Automotive Engineers' definition of a hybrid, the last modification is required to make the car a hybrid.

GSP

And it's an important point. If you install a generator and hook it up so it can charge the car while driving you have created a series hybrid. If you plug an EV into a generator and charge only while parked, it's still an EV, no matter where the generator is located. Ultimately any EV plugged into the grid is charging from some type of generator, unless it's a 100% solar grid.

The January 12, 2015 edition of Automotive News has an interview of Ian Robertson, a BMW marketing exec, on pages 29-30, including the following question:

Is it correct to call an i3 with a range extender a plug-in hybrid?

"It is not. It is a battery-powered vehicle where only the electric motor powers the wheels." :scared:

This guy is obviously in marketing. If he were an engineer he should be fired for incompetence.

GSP

The January 12, 2015 edition of Automotive News has an interview of Ian Robertson, a BMW marketing exec, on pages 29-30, including the following question:

"It is not. It is a battery-powered vehicle where only the electric motor powers the wheels." :scared:

This guy is obviously in marketing. If he were an engineer he should be fired for incompetence.

GSP

Well, there you go. The real and true definition of a battery-powered vehicle. :rolleyes:

GSP
He is of course technically incorrect.

At the risk of starting this up again, the REx is probably the best example of the clunkiness of the current definitions. Take an EV, add an engine in any form, and you've got plug-in hybrid like a Plug-in Prius. Doesn't seem to me that plug-in hybrid is adequately specific.

• Impasse
  • Stalemate
  • Standoff
  • Deadlock

This thread is well into "extra innings" and I think it is time to declare it a "cat's game".

-----------

Well some more "fuel for the fire":
2014 BMW i3 Range Extender: No White CA Carpool-Lane Sticker, Here's Why
...under California law, the BMW i3 with REx is the first of a new category of plug-in electric cars, known as a BEVx....
... California zero-emission vehicle regulations permit a BEVx to count toward a carmaker's "ZEV gold credits"--effectively, the number of zero-emission vehicles it sells (even though the i3 REx may produce tailpipe emissions in range-extending mode)...
...Under all other regulations, though, the BEVx designation simply doesn't matter. A regular BMW i3 is a fully-electric car, and a BMW i3 REx is deemed a plug-in hybrid for any other incentive program.That puts the range-extended i3 in the same category for California's plug-in purchaseicon1.png rebate and its carpool-lane access as the California-spec Chevrolet Volt, Toyota Prius Plug-In Hybrid, and other cars that plug in but also have combustion engines...

chicken-fish2.jpg