Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pyro Fuse Fuss

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Used warranty is only the remainder of the 4yr 50k new warranty + an additional 12 mo/10k mi. They had a 2016, so the new warranty would have been expired and the 12mo used would have then expired in 2021

You got to love the Internet. Person A posts information, even with evidence. Person B then comes along, with wrong or limited facts and creates doubts about person A's credibility.

In mid-2020 Tesla's used car warranty was 2 years, if the car was older than four years, otherwise 4 years. In both cases up to 100,000 miles / 160,000 km, but only for 50,000 miles / 80,000 km from day of purchase - whichever comes first. Thus my car has its used car warranty expiring in summer of 2024. Tesla exchanged the pyro fuse under this warranty, not the battery warranty.

You got to love the Internet. Person A posts information, even with evidence. Person B then comes along, with wrong or limited facts and creates doubts about person A's credibility.

In mid-2020 Tesla's used car warranty was 2 years, if the car was older than four years, otherwise 4 years. In both cases up to 100,000 miles / 160,000 km, but only for 50,000 miles / 80,000 km from day of purchase - whichever comes first. Thus my car has its used car warranty expiring in summer of 2024. Tesla exchanged the pyro fuse under this warranty, not the battery warranty.
I thought Tesla had neutered the used warranty program in 2019, but I was wrong about the date as it looks like it was in October 2020.

I wasn't trying to impune your credibility, calm down. The invoice doesn't say what warranty it was covered under, and coupled with the the date mix up, it is an easy mistake to make.

This isn't reddit, not everyone is a Karen 😉

Correct I think when I bought my 2013 in 2017 it had a 4 year OR 50k mile warranty excluding battery and drive unit whichever came first . This was a direct purchase from Tesla like you.

Our 11/13 built S85 had the pyro fuse replaced during warranty work at 90K miles when the drive unit and HV contactors were replaced. We bought the car back in December 2018 from Tesla with just under 60K miles on it. The included warranty was 2yr/100K odometer miles and 8yr from manufactured date/unlimited miles on the powertrain.

Pryo fuse kit:

FIELD KIT PYRO FUSE PACK 1.0 1.5(1089619-00-D)

Attachments

• Tesla Service Pyro.pdf
    31.5 KB · Views: 113
A failure based on a programmed clock that is set to trigger after the warranty expires and wasn’t mentioned on any maintenance schedule…. Humm…
I don't like that these pyro fuses aren't easier and inexpensive to change, but I don't think think they were designed to fail right before the warranty expires. It seems like an unfortunate coincidence where the pyro fuse (and other designed components) just aren't holding up the way they're expected. There's been a number of PTC heaters, DC-DC converters (usually the fuse), condenser/radiator louvers, and A/C compressors that have gone bad and commonly replaced. The unfortunate reminder is that we are all early adopters and bought a Tesla to use while they collected data on usage and longevity. It's not like they took the time to due long-term/endurance testing.

The newer Tesla Model S component designs are generally improved until time proves otherwise. Just remember the importance of the pyro fuse and that it's not like the HV battery packs are all failing the day ofter the warranty expires. Now how Tesla deals with fixing and replacing a flawed component is where I think the conversation should go.

Would someone from Tesla be willing to clarify why only handpicked cars are getting the below message? I’m trying to figure out why tons of 2017 owners have received this and 2016 as well. Why am I not getting the error yet? I did a software upgrade more than a week ago IMG_0938.jpeg

Would someone from Tesla be willing to clarify why only handpicked cars are getting the below message?
What makes you think they are handpicked? (I think it is done based on the data Tesla has in their systems for the cars.)

I’m trying to figure out why tons of 2017 owners have received this and 2016 as well. Why am I not getting the error yet?
Maybe because your car doesn't have one of the battery powered fuses?

Reactions: outdoors
What makes you think they are handpicked? (I think it is done based on the data Tesla has in their systems for the cars.)

Maybe because your car doesn't have one of the battery powered fuses?
Just because newer builds than mine are getting the error. I have a 12/2015 build date. Why else would a 2015 need a fuse??? Because it’s the old style?

Just because newer builds than mine are getting the error. I have a 12/2015 build date. Why else would a 2015 need a fuse??? Because it’s the old style?
Has your battery pack ever been replaced? There are three types of fuses: original/non-powered, battery powered, and self-powered. If your car has an original/non-powered or self-powered fuse than you wouldn't need a replacement. Also, the warning is only supposed to come up when a battery powered fuse is getting to the last 6 months of its expected life span. So, if you have a newer battery powered fuse the warning wouldn't appear yet.

Has your battery pack ever been replaced? There are three types of fuses: original/non-powered, battery powered, and self-powered. If your car has an original/non-powered or self-powered fuse than you wouldn't need a replacement. Also, the warning is only supposed to come up when a battery powered fuse is getting to the last 6 months of its expected life span. So, if you have a newer battery powered fuse the warning wouldn't appear yet.
No it’s the original pack I’ve looked at the sticker. I did have one service last may but I didn’t see anything about a fuse on the invoice

Based on my tracking of this issue, @MP3Mike is among the first to mention the original/non-powered fuse. I have a Signature with a VIN in the low 1000's with an original A-series battery. I received the fuse alert several months back. The alert mysteriously went away within the last week (and I did not update the software in that period).

I'd be curious if anyone has theories as to why this alert might have gone away, or if the group has any recommendations as to whether to proceed or not with the service? Now that I read that the original fuse was not powered and therefore would not need replacement, could it possibly be that Tesla finally got its records together and stopped the alert going to owners with the original fuse? Seems low probability. Alternatively, would there be any way to verify which fuse is actually in the battery?

Reactions: David Harvey