Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q3 collections, new owners tales and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As of this Saturday I am 6 weeks and 930 miles into MYLR ownership. MSM, black interior, 20s, and no extra fancy-dan software :D

My experiences for far:

- Fit and finish.

No issues. I took it to a detailers for full valet and ceramics on about week 3, with an instruction to 'do anything that needed doing'. Report back was that interior and exterior were all of very good standard. Paint finish was all good with the exception of a small chocolate bar sized section on the rear bumper that looked like it had been 'swirled' but was easily corrected with the machine polisher

-Charging.

At home Tesla Wall Connector 3, with Intelligent Octopus tariff. Again, no issues at all. I use the "5.30am Off Peak finish" cheat to stop any premature charging on connection, and IO app has been without major hiccup. On two occasions I have had 79% rather than the target 80% SoC but really, who is complaining about that?

My biggest surprise has been the knock-on effect it has had on our household attention to energy consumption (more generally) and time-shifting high demand tasks to the off-peak period. All associated benefits of MY ownership

- General Software

All good. Nav and all on-screen systems are excellent in my experience. Small gripe with the Radio app - search and navigation seems pretty limited to me but hoping the 2022.40 update fixes this tis the logos. Not sure why we have Radio AND TuneIn but 🤷‍♂️ TuneIn seems to have licensing issues around live sport broadcast in the UK which is 50% of my radio listening so its pretty meh for me. Spotify native app means we listen to much more music in the car as a family than we used to coming from a Bluetooth-to-phone situation in the old car

Goes without saying the kids LOVE all the other ents in-car. Games, Netflix, all of it. Becoming harder to get them out of the MY when we arrive at a destination :D and often I just can't. Weekend football, one of them just stays in the car whilst the other one does their training and vice versa. Need a secure "Kids mode" as well as a "Dog mode"

Special shout out to pre-departure climate, seat and steering wheel heating. I love this stuff

- Driving

We are coming from a Porsche Panamera, so really the ride "firmness" hasn't been such a shock. On poor quality surfaces you can feel a fair amount from the road, but given that it is expected to support a 2 ton 4.8 second accelerating family wagon around corners I find it all within acceptable boundaries. However the associated noise from the kids seats in the back is driving me mental! Car itself is rattle free

Performance and drivability are all excellent and I thoroughly enjoy driving - equally as much as the Porsche. One surprise to me has been impact on driving style. I've always enjoyed quick cars and driving them enthusiastically where and when possible. In the MY i am relying on AP more and more and really liking the more sedate approach to journies. Which brings me on to......

- AP

On M/A road journeys I have been really impressed. I don't expect it to do too much, and disengage for lane changes and anything that I am not comfortable with. Has been seamless in that context since we bought it. Pull away from stationary is a bit keen when you are in slow traffic but I imagine that gets adjusted with software
Wipers- fine
Lights - bit flashy on occasions but has been on Auto since day one and I've kept it there
Braking - fine. Occasionally over cautious but really would you prefer it to be a bit too over-confident?

- Overall

I realise I'm a Tesla n00b but I have owned cars before. The Tesla ownership experience is not like any other car ownership experience and I am thoroughly enjoying it. i am sure some of the novelty wears off, but I am amazed by some of the threads on here with folks so dissatisfied with this and that, and software updates and associated niggles. Its a car. It won't be perfect. I wanted to live in my Panamera when I bought it, and by year 3 I was ready for a change. I'm guess this is why the 2019 M3 owners on here moan so much! ;) (joking joking...)

Loving the car and the whole proposition. I hope all my fellow Q3ers are enjoying the same experience
Excellent!
Or, as they say : "What's not to like". With four months and 3,500 miles under her, I am still looking for excuses to go out: There is a Pets at Home aless that 2 miles away but, oh happy day, I have found one 5 miles away. RESULT!

P.S. The Tesla Brand rear interior liner, with door panel covers for Lottiedog, is brilliant.

Just over 3k since 10th of September and overall really pleased, auto highbeam when on AP is my only real gripe other than that effortless is the best word to describe my tesla ownership so far. Similar to @WKUK ive always enjoyed driving and mainly had quick cars however I've found with the tesla I'm happy bimbling along effortlessly majority of the time the odd country lane blast is still enjoyable but it's the exception rather than the rule.
I really wish they would enable speed camera alerts though because previous cars the sound and vibration etc I knew the speed instinctively with this not a clue 😂
Waking up to a full tank every morning is amazing not playing fuel light roulette in a morning when I forgot to fill up the night before and it's always that day something else has made you a little late already is definitely not missed.

As of this Saturday I am 6 weeks and 930 miles into MYLR ownership. MSM, black interior, 20s, and no extra fancy-dan software :D

My experiences for far:

- Fit and finish.

No issues. I took it to a detailers for full valet and ceramics on about week 3, with an instruction to 'do anything that needed doing'. Report back was that interior and exterior were all of very good standard. Paint finish was all good with the exception of a small chocolate bar sized section on the rear bumper that looked like it had been 'swirled' but was easily corrected with the machine polisher

-Charging.

At home Tesla Wall Connector 3, with Intelligent Octopus tariff. Again, no issues at all. I use the "5.30am Off Peak finish" cheat to stop any premature charging on connection, and IO app has been without major hiccup. On two occasions I have had 79% rather than the target 80% SoC but really, who is complaining about that?

My biggest surprise has been the knock-on effect it has had on our household attention to energy consumption (more generally) and time-shifting high demand tasks to the off-peak period. All associated benefits of MY ownership

- General Software

All good. Nav and all on-screen systems are excellent in my experience. Small gripe with the Radio app - search and navigation seems pretty limited to me but hoping the 2022.40 update fixes this tis the logos. Not sure why we have Radio AND TuneIn but 🤷‍♂️ TuneIn seems to have licensing issues around live sport broadcast in the UK which is 50% of my radio listening so its pretty meh for me. Spotify native app means we listen to much more music in the car as a family than we used to coming from a Bluetooth-to-phone situation in the old car

Goes without saying the kids LOVE all the other ents in-car. Games, Netflix, all of it. Becoming harder to get them out of the MY when we arrive at a destination :D and often I just can't. Weekend football, one of them just stays in the car whilst the other one does their training and vice versa. Need a secure "Kids mode" as well as a "Dog mode"

Special shout out to pre-departure climate, seat and steering wheel heating. I love this stuff

- Driving

We are coming from a Porsche Panamera, so really the ride "firmness" hasn't been such a shock. On poor quality surfaces you can feel a fair amount from the road, but given that it is expected to support a 2 ton 4.8 second accelerating family wagon around corners I find it all within acceptable boundaries. However the associated noise from the kids seats in the back is driving me mental! Car itself is rattle free

Performance and drivability are all excellent and I thoroughly enjoy driving - equally as much as the Porsche. One surprise to me has been impact on driving style. I've always enjoyed quick cars and driving them enthusiastically where and when possible. In the MY i am relying on AP more and more and really liking the more sedate approach to journies. Which brings me on to......

- AP

On M/A road journeys I have been really impressed. I don't expect it to do too much, and disengage for lane changes and anything that I am not comfortable with. Has been seamless in that context since we bought it. Pull away from stationary is a bit keen when you are in slow traffic but I imagine that gets adjusted with software
Wipers- fine
Lights - bit flashy on occasions but has been on Auto since day one and I've kept it there
Braking - fine. Occasionally over cautious but really would you prefer it to be a bit too over-confident?

- Overall

I realise I'm a Tesla n00b but I have owned cars before. The Tesla ownership experience is not like any other car ownership experience and I am thoroughly enjoying it. i am sure some of the novelty wears off, but I am amazed by some of the threads on here with folks so dissatisfied with this and that, and software updates and associated niggles. Its a car. It won't be perfect. I wanted to live in my Panamera when I bought it, and by year 3 I was ready for a change. I'm guess this is why the 2019 M3 owners on here moan so much! ;) (joking joking...)

Loving the car and the whole proposition. I hope all my fellow Q3ers are enjoying the same experience
Wow, I would say I pretty much have the same outlook/experience as you. You saved me typing the same thing 😁.

Only difference is that we use the car way, way more than our previous ICE. In 6 weeks we've done 4.2K miles but it doesn't feel like it. Either way it's fulfilling everything we wanted from this car and then some.

I worked out to fully charge my MYLR to 100% (Not that I will do that often) it will cost me £15 for a full charge at home,

Im currently on the cheaper energy rate (19p / kwh)

Am I doing that right? Assuming that the MY battery is around 75kwh

Im also very interested in going Solar, doing so much research shows its the best way forward now. Anyone had any experience with that?

I worked out to fully charge my MYLR to 100% (Not that I will do that often) it will cost me £15 for a full charge at home,

Im also very interested in going Solar, doing so much research shows its the best way forward now. Anyone had any experience with that?
I have Solar and it is great. There is a separate thread with loads of good stuff so you might want to look there. I did have the charger trickling into MY but the pricing structure recently changed so I pay 10p/kWh night rate and get 17p/kWh to send solar to the grid so only charge at night now.

Reactions: bainsy

Your maths looks about right. I found this tool helpful when I was trying to work out how much and what I needed:

I can't comment on solar but I would point our that my overall kWh consumption in the car is higher than I had thought it would be. Combination of just driving it more :D, real-world driving efficiency, some right footed fun and liberal use of the in-car toys - heaters, games, videos etc etc

Your maths looks about right. I found this tool helpful when I was trying to work out how much and what I needed:

I can't comment on solar but I would point our that my overall kWh consumption in the car is higher than I had thought it would be. Combination of just driving it more :D, real-world driving efficiency, some right footed fun and liberal use of the in-car toys - heaters, games, videos etc etc
Thank you!
This is what I got on my current rate:

1667994976410.png

That said - you are right, some right footed fun is always welcome and the games / netflix is always a treat.
I know for the first few months I will always want to drive everywhere so have to take these numbers with a pinch of salt.

Its still a lot cheaper than my current 2L Diesel Audi A4

I have Solar and it is great. There is a separate thread with loads of good stuff so you might want to look there. I did have the charger trickling into MY but the pricing structure recently changed so I pay 10p/kWh night rate and get 17p/kWh to send solar to the grid so only charge at night now.
Very interested in Solar for the moment. Especially all this cost of energy crisis.

I am looking to move home within a year (hopefully) so pricing up the cost of Solar is quite important to me.
I've seen numerous people online telling us its a huge saving on electric, heating, charging cars etc it just makes so much sense to invest now.

Ill take a look at the thread, thanks!

At the risk of taking us further off topic, I moved into my current house just over a year ago. It's got solar panels, which I saw as a bonus without really understanding what it would actually mean. It's been an absolute godsend to be honest. They were installed in 2013 so I get a pretty generous FIT scheme rate (compared to some of the SEG rates I see) and to date I've generated over £900 in fit payments this year. Not only that, but it's also saved me a fortune on my electricity bills as I can run appliances through the day and either get it for free (i.e., no pull-on the grid) or at least discounted (depending on how much the sun is shining!). Double-whammy!

Future payments next year will be going towards my increasing bill from charging my Model 3, so indirectly paying for those miles from the sun :cool:

Agreed! Add to that Sentry Mode and Phantom Drain.... but loving it!

Here`s a weird one, for me anyway. Haven`t used my MYLR for a couple of days, left on my drive showing 240mls range on the screen and nothing showing as switched-on.
Jumped in it this morning and noticed the central screen was open but very dark, to the point I couldn`t see the reversing camera screen
image clearly to reverse off my drive. Looking arround for any more oddities, my wife said that both the door mirror glasses had turned
a metalicy blue with a silvery outer edge. Car seemed to running ok so we set off into town........after travelling about 2-3 miles the central
screen burst into full brightness and both mirrors returned to there normal silvery reflectiveness......any thoughts? 🤔

Here`s a weird one, for me anyway. Haven`t used my MYLR for a couple of days, left on my drive showing 240mls range on the screen and nothing showing as switched-on.
Jumped in it this morning and noticed the central screen was open but very dark, to the point I couldn`t see the reversing camera screen
image clearly to reverse off my drive. Looking arround for any more oddities, my wife said that both the door mirror glasses had turned
a metalicy blue with a silvery outer edge. Car seemed to running ok so we set off into town........after travelling about 2-3 miles the central
screen burst into full brightness and both mirrors returned to there normal silvery reflectiveness......any thoughts? 🤔
Probably a bit slow to wake up.
Re: door mirrors, that's just the auto-dimming feature where they will self tint, normally at night so you don't get glares from other cars headlights, but it shouldn't do that during the day.
I assume maybe a luminosity sensor (if they still use that and not pure vision cameras) was obstructed and cleared up during your morning drive. Was it still dark outside?

Probably a bit slow to wake up.
Re: door mirrors, that's just the auto-dimming feature where they will self tint, normally at night so you don't get glares from other cars headlights, but it shouldn't do that during the day.
I assume maybe a luminosity sensor (if they still use that and not pure vision cameras) was obstructed and cleared up during your morning drive. Was it still dark outside?
Nope, bright and a little overcast, but an overnight fog had recently cleared away. I religiously, almost daily, wipe away all overnight wetness from all windows, and mirrors/cameras before I drive anywhere (as long as its not raining of course!) As this is a first time thing and winter
weather is here I`ll keep a warey eye on this.........now where`s that sensor? 🧐

Possibly a bit of fogging inside the glass covering the camera. Once warmed up, it cleared. Look from outside at the three camera behind windscreen. There are heating elements for this bit of glass but they take a bit of time. Not sure if that is what the car uses to judge ambient but would make sense.

Reactions: EV-Head
Mine does the slow to wake up thing all too frequently in the morning. Other symptoms: no sound from the indicators, cannot change volume of whatever is playing, cannot change source of what is playing, screen stays in dark mode if it was in dark mode when last left (even if it should be in light mode now)

This weeks AP weirdness:

I was in the ’slow lane’ on a motorway. Car indicated (right) by itself!

It doesn’t do that in the (UK), right? At least I thought It didn’t.

The “I want to change lane” display came up, there was a car right next to me so that was odd too.

Only thing we can think of is I was passing an exit at the time, so maybe it got confused by a lane apparently disappearing?

I have a Mid September 2022 MY-LR and try as I might can NOT get ANY custom light-shows to work, as of todays date 22/11/22 (the pre-loaded 2021 xmas L-show works every time) I have, believe me, tried every permitation of formatting, flash-drives, re-naming, only using glovebox usb port (with and without ext.hub etc) that has been posted as so-called fixes on many forums, u-tube etc. ALL have done absolutely nothing but waste my time and cause emence frustration (as you can surmise from this rant! 🤯) Can somebody point me to any official (Tesla) post that confirms this feature is no longer working and/or has been deleted?? FYI, I have around 6 pre-loaded, purchased, flash-drives that do not work either! Save my sanity please 🥴 PS. the mp3/wav files are recognised via the usb port and will play ok, but nothing else? A phrase containing the words, WALL, BANGING, BRICK and HEAD comes to mind 🤕 🧱

My experiences for far:

- Fit and finish.

-Charging.

- General Software

- Driving

- AP

Wipers- fine

- Overall

Enjoyed your post, picking mine up tomorrow with the attitude it’s just a car but you’ve got me a little exited now.