Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. For the trip up it was 251wh, the trip back was 307. Very interesting result after recharging at home last night, my est 100% range has gone up to 281, which is 12 miles greater than my low point. I charged to 80% last night.

I realize these numbers are only the "rated" range but like someone else pointed out, knowing how much charge is left is very important on a road trip. I'm not going to drive around with 5% or less showing even if I think the BMS is inaccurate. I'd also prefer not to have to unneeded stops. Coming home I stopped because my energy graph was predicting 5% remaining at the end of the trip. To me that is too close and I was already well below the est curve.

View attachment 487405
Let's hope the BMS continues to recover missing miles. I just noticed that the TeslaFi data uses inconsistently spaced X-axis increments. Makes the graph hard to interpret, as sudden drops can appear gradual and gradual drops can appear sudden.

Charged up to 100% today, the display only showed 309 miles, not sure where Tesla is getting the new range of 322 miles for the Dual Motor Long Range. I'm not even getting the previously listed range of 310 miles now. It's very disappointing and seems like false advertising.

Charged up to 100% today, the display only showed 309 miles, not sure where Tesla is getting the new range of 322 miles for the Dual Motor Long Range. I'm not even getting the previously listed range of 310 miles now. It's very disappointing and seems like false advertising.

Did your purchase your car after the revised epa numbers came out? (do you have a 2020 VIN #)

I purchased a stealth performance because it had 18" rims and was more efficient... I don't need the EPA or Tesla to make it show up on the dashboard to know its true.

The change to the website is unclear

could be a future update is coming and we will get a range boost
Could be 2020 cars are more efficient due to some change so you will stay at 310 as will I
Could be just the website changed to match new EPA testing to sell more cars, maybe they will adjust the meter in the car maybe they won’t but in this case the cars actual range will not change

since you don’t own a 2020 I cannot see why you are upset

Reactions: house9
It's interesting that when Tesla rated my Model 3 at 310 miles, that's what I got. Why now say it's 322 miles, when nobody gets anywhere close to that?
Well, I wouldn’t say nobody gets close to that:
efficiency-graph.jpg

That said, even with an average of 109% efficiency relative to rated range, that doesn’t make up for normal degradation: my max rated is down to around 285 from the original 310 rated miles after 15 months. However, that estimate does vary since the car can only calculate/guesstimate from the change in voltage readings – plus that efficiency measurement was from a couple of months ago during warm summer weather.

The diff between 309 and 310 is not even a rounding error. Disappointing? The new EPA numbers are for the new models, 2020s. Yours came with a 2019 EPA rating. If we're patient, perhaps a software update will automagically improve your range.

My, one year and 3 day old, LR-AWD still shows 310 miles of rated range, but it can vary from as low as 287 miles to as high as 314 miles. Getting upset by tiny variations is not worth the effort.
Screenshot 2019-12-08 00.36.52.jpg

Not sure where you get that idea but it's not true.

Compare Side-by-Side

2020 is the only one with a range of 322- EPA still shows 310 for the 2018 and 2019.

I'm willing to bet it won't apply to older cars, and is an increase in range due to physical differences in the batteries:

From Thread by @jpr007: "TESLA PANASONIC BATTERIES - UPDATE 20191130 There have been a number of interesting developments taking place at GF1 over the last six month […]"

During this summer Tesla and Panasonic implemented a chemistry upgrade for Model 3 cells transitioning from what we may call “A” chemistry to “C” chemistry (where “B” and “D” chemistries apply to Energy Storage cells)

12. It is likely that this new chemistry reduced product costs, but we currently have no data to estimate that benefit. But the primary goal of the new chemistry was actually to improve cell performance, and we have some data to estimate that

13. About two years ago 4,416 cells of 2170 size were require to build a 75 kWh Model 3 battery pack, as illustrated by a Jack Rickard teardown of a used Model 3 in June 2018

This rates each cell at 16.98 Wh each of useable capacity

14. Today we estimate that Tesla can build a 75 kWh Model 3 battery pack with 4,067 cells

This rates each cell at 18.44 Wh each, for a +8.6% improvement in useable cell capacity
So quite literally the car can fit more capacity in the same space, should Tesla desire to do so. And it seems very likely Tesla will continue to make Model 3 have longer and longer range, just as they have done in the past with Model S.

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike and Arpe
About two years ago 4,416 cells of 2170 size were require to build a 75 kWh Model 3 battery pack, as illustrated by a Jack Rickard teardown of a used Model 3 in June 2018

This rates each cell at 16.98 Wh each of useable capacity

Today we estimate that Tesla can build a 75 kWh Model 3 battery pack with 4,067 cells

This is interesting, but want to point out that the 2018 EPA test document showed that they were able to draw 79.2kWh from the AWD Model 3 on April 8th, 2018.

That was with a battery using a 46p96s configuration of 4416 cells, which works out to 17.93Wh of usable capacity per cell.

I wasn't quite able to follow where the article you linked to got 18.44Wh for the new cells, but in any case, that would be only a 2.8% improvement if that number is actually true. FWIW.

It'll be interesting to see the new EPA submissions...if they provide the same level of detail, that will give us the answer on this.

Note also that assuming the exact same test was conducted, the EFFICIENCY has improved on the 2020 models (by 4.3%), so the same size pack will produce more range (pretty much proportional to the range improvement of 3.9%). So, I'd be a bit surprised if we see significantly more energy being drawn from the pack. Though, it is possible - as an efficiency improvement could also be gained from an improvement in charging efficiency which would have no impact on range.

Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 5.26.25 PM.png

Last edited: