Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real "camper mode" vs old camper mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any change to the behavior of the USB ports or 12v plug? Does this new camper mode keep those active?

Also, will the new camper mode keep working with the rear hatch open? I have a tent that covers and attaches to the rear of the car, designed to use with the hatch open. Works great, except the API won't turn on the climate control with the rear hatch open. And of course the API can't work where there is no cell data or wifi coverage.

I just went to the car and did a few quick experiments with the new Camper Mode. Here are my observations.
  1. The climate control continues to run when I exit the car and lock it (as expected)
  2. I can open the tailgate without unlocking the car. No lights come on and the climate control continues to run. So yes, you can attach a tent and have it climate controlled!
  3. With the car turned off and locked and the climate control running, the 12v Port is off and the rear USB ports are off too. Front USB ports remain powered at all times.
  4. I can activate all the ports by putting some pressure on the driver’s seat, but that activates displays as well.
  5. The same behavior whether the car is plugged in or not.

Last edited:
Here are a couple of answers...
I told the AC to stay on and left the car for a few minutes:
  • I opened the trunk, crawled in through the trunk, and the AC was still on.
  • I opened the front door, sat in the driver's seat, and then got out of the car and the AC stayed on.
  • I got in the car and activated the shifter (didn't matter what function) and the "Stay On" climate control changed to "Off"
If you aren't sure what is happening, you can check the Tesla App and it will tell you the status of the AC.

Here are a couple of answers...
I told the AC to stay on and left the car for a few minutes:
  • I opened the trunk, crawled in through the trunk, and the AC was still on.
  • I opened the front door, sat in the driver's seat, and then got out of the car and the AC stayed on.
  • I got in the car and activated the shifter (didn't matter what function) and the "Stay On" climate control changed to "Off"
If you aren't sure what is happening, you can check the Tesla App and it will tell you the status of the AC.
Do you know how to lock the car after you exit the drivers door (the only way to activate the new camper mode and make sure the displays are off), and get back into the car through the trunk? Display is off and locking with key fob activates the alarm....

Do you know how to lock the car after you exit the drivers door (the only way to activate the new camper mode and make sure the displays are off), and get back into the car through the trunk? Display is off and locking with key fob activates the alarm....
Found it: deactivate the tilt/intrusion alarm in the security settings first.
Then exit and lock the car and enter through the trunk.
I will test now and sleep in my car.

Was just about to suggest the alarm setting. Let us know how it works out. Sleeping in the car myself during the weekend road trip
Thanks. It turned out that just disabling the tilt intrusion alarm is not sufficient. When I exited the drivers door and got in through the trunk it somehow reactivated ( and woke up the neighbours).
You have to duable the alarm completely.
This worked.

I had a good night in the car.

Outside temp 10 and inside 22 degrees.
8.5 hour of sleep.
Costed 64 km of range.

I think think this is quite much. What do you think?

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Thanks. It turned out that just disabling the tilt intrusion alarm is not sufficient. When I exited the drivers door and got in through the trunk it somehow reactivated ( and woke up the neighbours).
You have to duable the alarm completely.
This worked.

I had a good night in the car.

Outside temp 10 and inside 22 degrees.
8.5 hour of sleep.
Costed 64 km of range.

I think think this is quite much. What do you think?

That is quite a lot. Last time I did it, it cost me about 10% on an 85kWh battery. So, taking the reserve into account, that would be about 7.5km for 9 hours of sleep. Mind you, it was 4°C outside and 20°C inside.
What I would do is to simply lock the car from the inside and crawl into the back. The screens will go dark after some time anyway.
But I'll make sure this weekend I'm parked somewhere remote, where I don't wake up people should the alarm go off :)