Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real "camper mode" vs old camper mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the real question is... does it stay active when you plug in the car to charge? That should allow indefinite climate control while off since the battery won't drain. My understanding is you can't do this with "old" camper mode.

Sure you can. The remote API can keep climate control on even while charging.

@akikisteve - What's the concern regarding the headlights? If you use the API to send a remote climate request they shouldn't be on.

Using 2017.40 while not plugged in and "KEEP CLIMATE ON" for 4 hours of AC I used 6% of my battery. 90% to 84%. I plan to use the new camper mode over Thanksgiving Weekend for 2 nights and was not sure what my plug in options will be so needed to know how much battery will be used over night if not plugged in. However, at that time I might be using the Heater instead of AC (Cool) so not sure how that plays into it.

Based on the plug in question I decided to plug in the car and try again "now". It appears to be pulling directly from the grid instead of my battery but I am not sure. It is showing 1-2kw on the main console screen. My car is currently setup to charge to a max of 80%. The current battery is 84% so should not start charging for a few hours if the AC is using the battery. If not, I expect the charging to not start until much later.

He is referring to the put in neutral with parking brake on “old mode”. Not API method.

Gotcha, didn't know anyone used that method anymore now that VisibleTesla has it built in.

For those that don't know, forget about putting the car in neutral. You don't even need the new firmware:

Edit: Ok, I guess if you are in a remote area without cell coverage it won't work.

• Love
Reactions: Ulmo
@apacheguy: using the app or API, it only stays on for like half an hour. I don't want to bother with setting up the VisibleTesla app to do this action every half hour or so. The only real problem that was with the old way of doing this, was the fact that EU legislation didn't allow the DRLs to be turned of when in N. If that would be possible, I would not be so "excited" about this function now.

@iluvmacs: the problem with the old method was simply the fact that you can't put the car in N while charging. This is now not necessary anymore and thus it can charge while in camper mode. Not sure it is nice EV etiquette to hog a charger all night in camper mode.

Reactions: avesraggiana
@iluvmacs: the problem with the old method was simply the fact that you can't put the car in N while charging. This is now not necessary anymore and thus it can charge while in camper mode. Not sure it is nice EV etiquette to hog a charger all night in camper mode.
I'm not thinking of hogging a charging station all night. I'm thinking of being at a campsite, with an RV plug. I rent the site, have the car plugged in all night, with air running. And correct on the other count: assume no cellular service, so API method is unavailable.

Reactions: Ulmo
I'm not thinking of hogging a charging station all night. I'm thinking of being at a campsite, with an RV plug. I rent the site, have the car plugged in all night, with air running. And correct on the other count: assume no cellular service, so API method is unavailable.

Aha, that makes more sense. But you would get strange looks, I guess, when putting your Model S between the RVs :)

Using 2017.40 while not plugged in and "KEEP CLIMATE ON" for 4 hours of AC I used 6% of my battery. 90% to 84%. I plan to use the new camper mode over Thanksgiving Weekend for 2 nights and was not sure what my plug in options will be so needed to know how much battery will be used over night if not plugged in. However, at that time I might be using the Heater instead of AC (Cool) so not sure how that plays into it.

Based on the plug in question I decided to plug in the car and try again "now". It appears to be pulling directly from the grid instead of my battery but I am not sure. It is showing 1-2kw on the main console screen. My car is currently setup to charge to a max of 80%. The current battery is 84% so should not start charging for a few hours if the AC is using the battery. If not, I expect the charging to not start until much later.
After 2 hours of Camper Mode AC the battery is still at 84% (charger set to charge at < 80%). That confirms the AC was running off the grid and not the battery.

I once spent the entire 9h night with AC at 20°C and outside temp 4°C and light snow. Used less than 10% for the entire night on an 85kWh battery. So, one or 2 hours you won't really notice, I guess
I had reported in the prior post that my 75D used 6% (90% - 84%) over 4 hours. So if not on power it should have dropped by 2-3%. At least 1%. But there was no change.

• Informative
Reactions: ironwaffle
I had reported in the prior post that my 75D used 6% (90% - 84%) over 4 hours. So if not on power it should have dropped by 2-3%. At least 1%. But there was no change.

Sorry about missing that. :-(
But 6% over 4 hours on a 75kWh battery, seems more or less in line with what I experienced when the heating was working all night. Maybe even more. Don't know what the weather conditions and settings in the car were to compare the circumstances. Or maybe the new mode uses a bit more energy due to a different setup?
But you are right in the sense that it should have dropped, so I assume it draws power from the wall charger directly then.

Sorry about missing that. :-(
But 6% over 4 hours on a 75kWh battery, seems more or less in line with what I experienced when the heating was working all night. Maybe even more. Don't know what the weather conditions and settings in the car were to compare the circumstances. Or maybe the new mode uses a bit more energy due to a different setup?
But you are right in the sense that it should have dropped, so I assume it draws power from the wall charger directly then.
Was just in my garage testing WiFi with the AC on. When testing I believe it was running the FAN all of the time. My car is in the garage and the outside temp says 83 degrees and I had my AC at 72. My inside is showing 76 F now. Anyway, while playing with the WiFi my Tesla Charger Connected to NEMA 14-50 is showing the green lights going up and down while my car is NOT charging. Once I got out of my car the car shutdown and the green lights on the charger stopped. And my car is still setting on 84% charge. No change.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Can you turn camper mode on with the app or by hitting the API? I would love to be able to keep the climate system on for hours when there is snow or freezing rain to keep it melting when it hits the car and I am willing to suffer some battery drain.

Reactions: David29
Is there any change to the behavior of the USB ports or 12v plug? Does this new camper mode keep those active?

Also, will the new camper mode keep working with the rear hatch open? I have a tent that covers and attaches to the rear of the car, designed to use with the hatch open. Works great, except the API won't turn on the climate control with the rear hatch open. And of course the API can't work where there is no cell data or wifi coverage.

Is there any change to the behavior of the USB ports or 12v plug? Does this new camper mode keep those active?

Also, will the new camper mode keep working with the rear hatch open? I have a tent that covers and attaches to the rear of the car, designed to use with the hatch open. Works great, except the API won't turn on the climate control with the rear hatch open. And of course the API can't work where there is no cell data or wifi coverage.

I believe the old camper mode should keep the climate on. But on the other hand, if you open the hatch, then all heat or cold would go out the door and outside temperature creeping in for ventilation. What is the use at that point? Might be overlooking something in this setup though.

I believe the old camper mode should keep the climate on. But on the other hand, if you open the hatch, then all heat or cold would go out the door and outside temperature creeping in for ventilation. What is the use at that point? Might be overlooking something in this setup though.
All the air conditioning does indeed go out the hatch -- into the tent that is sealed to the back of the car, air conditioning the tent.

The old camper mode works, but you can't be plugged in while sleeping. All the apps can turn on the a/c, but not with the rear hatch open ( and they don't work if there is no cell/wifi service, anyway). You can fool the car into thinking the hatch is closed by doing a trick with the hatch latch, but that doesn't solve the connectivity issue.
suv-tent-storm-cover.jpg

Reactions: DriveMe