Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Received Happiness Guarantee One Day Before Expiration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently changed my finance to a lease and received the email with a happiness guarantee the next day. I did not even know it existed. Maybe the Op. did not get that 1st email. NY law gives I believe 7 days. Other than that do any other manufacturers give a 90 day?
You will lose money either way. "Happiness" is not free, even with Tesla :)

Ok lets see, it's on the website and a We Guarantee link when you configure your car, it's in the leasing documentation. And after a couple months of use you realized that you would be happier with a Model X. Did you talk to Tesla about this? So because you did not read or take any initiative to see what could be done. All of a sudden it's Tesla's fault because they sent you an email 1 day before the guarantee ended. Unbelievable.
I think you missed the key point: it was NOT in the leasing documentation. And I DID talk to Tesla about "trading up" to an MX P90D (emphasis on "P"). That's why I raised this concern. And now, with this spark, let the flaming proceed.

• Informative
Reactions: ModelX
Agreed, that seems like a reasonable interpretation of the email from Tesla: it's a reminder of the policy before expiration in case the owner wants to use it before it is unavailable. The policy is clearly stated online from the very beginning.

That concept is okay but the timing in this case is still bad. If that's the intent, it should be maybe 1 week in advance, not 1 day.

While the HG is addressed in multiple locations on the website, it is not the only disclosure provided by Tesla.

The HG disclosure should be in your MyTesla documents (named Financing Document along with the Odometer Statement. The Lease Agreement is also there in a separate doc) and a copy of it included with your other purchase/delivery documents provided by Tesla, all signed by you prior to driving away. Please check. If that is not the case, then speak to Tesla as they would also have the same record of whether it was posted to your MyTesla account and/or you signed a copy at delivery. With proper evidence that it was never disclosed to you until day 89 as you state, I think they would do the right thing.

Edit: attached MyTesla screen shot

Attachments

• IMG_0915.jpg
    IMG_0915.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
With proper evidence that it was never disclosed to you until day 89 as you state, I think they would do the right thing.

Agreed. They've never been unreasonable with a customer. If the OP wasn't happy with the car and then had the one day, he should have approached Tesla and explained a) that he wasn't aware the offer existed until he received it with just one day left to expiry, b) that he indeed wanted to take advantage of it, and c) given the circumstances and needing to see what options etc...the X offered that he'd like to have some additional time to make a final decision.

That would have quite likely ended with the OP getting what he wanted and he'd have an entirely different perspective on the topic ie., not thinking Tesla was trying to pull a fast one, which is not their intent or MO.

How much are you losing currently without the Happiness Guarantee? If it is significant difference yes you should plead your case.

The premise shouldn't be that an email 1 day before expiration informed you about the Guarantee, rather the folks helping you with the trade up should have brought it up from their own when you initiated the trade in discussion.

How much are you losing currently without the Happiness Guarantee? If it is significant difference yes you should plead your case.

The premise shouldn't be that an email 1 day before expiration informed you about the Guarantee, rather the folks helping you with the trade up should have brought it up from their own when you initiated the trade in discussion.
Hold on to your hat: I received a trade-in value for the Model S of original price minus 20% depreciation. A "loss" of about $20K. In 89 days.

Were you able to make your decision to buy a Tesla in one day? On a work day? I couldn't. I wanted to look at newly-released and available inventory MXs, which required some research.

maybe the move there is to contact them that day to start the process but don't finalize it for a couple of days. Get it documented under the timeline but complete it after the deadline.

Hold on to your hat: I received a trade-in value for the Model S of original price minus 20% depreciation. A "loss" of about $20K. In 89 days.

That's normal. That $20K includes the lost $7500 federal tax credit + state incentives for the next buyer.

The Happiness guarantee also states that if it is exercised that you cannot ORDER or take delivery of another Tesla for 6 months. It's for those people who are truly unhappy and no longer want a Tesla of any shape or size.

• Informative
Reactions: Krugerrand
That's normal. That $20K includes the lost $7500 federal tax credit + state incentives for the next buyer.

The Happiness guarantee also states that if it is exercised that you cannot ORDER or take delivery of another Tesla for 6 months. It's for those people who are truly unhappy and no longer want a Tesla of any shape or size.
Clearly I'm weak on the HG, but my understanding is you cannot LEASE another one for six months. I was planning to buy an MX P90D to replace the MS (non-P)90D.

Clearly I'm weak on the HG, but my understanding is you cannot LEASE another one for six months. I was planning to buy an MX P90D to replace the MS (non-P)90D.

It reads that if exercised, neither you nor anyone in your household may place an order for or take delivery of another Tesla for 6 months from the date of vehicle return. The lease restriction applies to no more than one HG, even if you lease again. One shot and its over.

• Informative
Reactions: Krugerrand
On the 89th day of my Model S lease I received the Happiness Guarantee in an email; in other words, one day prior to expiration.

I think it is there and finance rep/DS will bring it up if people start having cold feet. I don't see it as an obligation to disclose during the walk through.. why would you want to put it into someone's mind that they might not like it if they have already made the decision? Below link points to: Happiness Guarantee

Screen Shot 2016-08-14 at 4.10.04 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-14 at 4.05.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-14 at 4.05.48 PM.png
    118.4 KB · Views: 44
Reactions: fallen888
How much do you consider you should lose to trade in? As far as I know there's still costs incurred if you choose to exercise the HG. I am not sure how much. I read they keep $5000 of the down payment, plus the 3 month payments.

At that cost do you think it makes more sense to pay off and trade it in (not sure if you can claim the tax credit in this case)? As shokunin pointed out, that decpreiation includes the 7500 fed credit and state incentive if any. Don't forget that if you trade in it also reduces your sales tax on the new car. I personally think it's a viable option, and in fact might even be on par if not cheaper than excercising HG.

Last edited:

We exercised the HG awhile back and we were not allowed to purchase another vehicle for 6 months. If you want to purchase another vehicle immediately, it clearly states you must pay a "fee" to cover the difference. The difference on ours was approx 15k if I recall correctly. That was almost half of the payments due on our 36 month lease, so we simply returned it and walked away.

We exercised the HG awhile back and we were not allowed to purchase another vehicle for 6 months. If you want to purchase another vehicle immediately, it clearly states you must pay a "fee" to cover the difference. The difference on ours was approx 15k if I recall correctly. That was almost half of the payments due on our 36 month lease, so we simply returned it and walked away.
But you were able to get the inventory p90d?

How much do you consider you should lose to trade in? As far as I know there's still costs incurred if you choose to exercise the HG. I am not sure how much. I read they keep $5000 of the down payment, plus the 3 month payments.

At that cost do you think it makes more sense to pay off and trade it in (not sure if you can claim the tax credit in this case)? As shokunin pointed out, that decpreiation includes the 7500 fed credit and state incentive if any. Don't forget that if you trade in it also reduces your sales tax on the new car. I personally think it's a viable option, and in fact might even be on par if not cheaper than excercising HG.

As far as I know, they don't refund any money at all. So whatever money you paid upfront is forfeit and you definitely don't get your payments back. It's merely relieving you if the burden of the remainder of your lease.