Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent Model X build quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you make a list, please share it with us.

I decided to just roll with the punches and didn't do anything proactive such as a list. Since I was getting an inventory car I was betting on anything major already being taken care of.

Took delivery today and for the most part everything seemed to work as expected. My biggest concern was the FWDs. I was able to cycle through them a few times without a hitch - big relief!

We went on a test drive and I did notice quite a lot of wind noise, almost as if a window was open. I was sitting directly behind my wife as she drove and it sounded like it centered around her area. I also thought the ride was very harsh and not comfortable at all. We did get the 22's so I may end up buying a set of 20's to see if it helps.

Overall delivery was better than expected. After prior experience, reading the forums, and consuming enough horror stories, my bar was pretty low. Turns out all of that probably helped as it shaped by expectation for the worse.

Both my wife and I share others' feelings in that the car is amazing/awesome. I'm still not a fan of the FWDs but the benefit can't be beat. And knowing my family gets to burn through their monotonous day with a little more excitement in the safest car on the road, it makes me feel that much better.

@gmtom1 - Yuck, hairnet? Does Elon parlay the assembly line into a food line during off-peak? I don't know much about manufacturing autos but that seems like one of the more strange things to find. I could be totally wrong though.

Today I rearranged the garage and with our new parking arrangement (really tight) my drivers side FWD does make the click sound that's been reported.

I use to have the luxury of a 2 car garage with the Tesla in the middle (solo) but now my wife didn't like parking outside for 2 days. Happy wife happy life.

Today I rearranged the garage and with our new parking arrangement (really tight) my drivers side FWD does make the click sound that's been reported.

I use to have the luxury of a 2 car garage with the Tesla in the middle (solo) but now my wife didn't like parking outside for 2 days. Happy wife happy life.

I'm curious about your "click" sound because my passenger FWD makes a very noticeable "pop" or I guess a loud "click". Driver side is completely silent, but that passenger side.... you would think something is breaking every time it opens.

If you have any click or pop noises and it's consistent, I would definitely take it in to get fixed. That sound is from the door pinch sensor trim catching the chrome trim on the window as the door opens. Under the right conditions, it may catch it the wrong way and rip the gasket or tear the trim off.

Picked up my P90D a week ago and so far no issues. Only complaint I have, and I guess the excitement made me deaf on delivery day, was a horrible creek when my driver side FWD opens. It's gotten worse since delivery. I'm two hours away from the Cleveland service center and they good willed someone to come get it and take it back for repair and leave a loaner. Amazing car none the less. Hope for a speedy fix :). If anyone wants to cringe, here is what it sounds like.

https://goo.gl/photos/etPxBGAVNgEMvNyYA

• Informative
Reactions: Snerruc
Picked up my P90D a week ago and so far no issues. Only complaint I have, and I guess the excitement made me deaf on delivery day, was a horrible creek when my driver side FWD opens. It's gotten worse since delivery. I'm two hours away from the Cleveland service center and they good willed someone to come get it and take it back for repair and leave a loaner. Amazing car none the less. Hope for a speedy fix :). If anyone wants to cringe, here is what it sounds like.

TimM96 - just picked up my X60D yesterday and my driver side FWD is doing the same thing. And I also now have the popping/click sound that everyone else is experiencing...no bueno.

I've only had my X P100DL for 2 days. I noticed some poorly done touch up paint on the spoiler and swirl marks. The trunk latch mechanism is much louder than any of the test drive models (I'll have Tesla adjust that clicking and pop someday). Some of the plastic trim wasn't snapped in the frunk area. And the windshield has a triple vision ghosting issue with highway overhead message boards making them very difficult to read even during daylight. Other than that the FWD's are great so far. The exterior panels and trim are aligned close enough to pass for Tesla standards.

I just had my X in for a similar noise. along with the snapping and bent trim piece on the FWD. The service tech diagnosed it and fixed it and it hasn't returned. From the repair order:

"Also, verified the creaking noise when the door is almost fully open. Isolated the noise to the rear hinge. Lowered the headliner to inspect and found the hinge cover rubbing against the upper racetrack trim. Modified the pinch sensor and rechecked the operation. The pinch sensor no longer contacts the chrome trim, resolving snapping sound. Trimmed the upper racetrack for additional clearance and this resolved the creaking noise when opening."

Our delivery (X90D) was yesterday. Our punch list ended up with 3 items on it.
First, wanted to note, that all the gaps (doors, trunk, frunk are good, so when I talk about alignment below it is with the seals of the window, not door gaps)
  • Driver side Falcon Wing Door glass is higher then the passenger side (seal is most likely not installed right)
  • A pillar interior trim (where the tweeter is) was bent (someone pressed in between the clips really hard - so it was wavy) - will be replaced.
  • Chrome trim on 3rd row seat was sticking out about 2 mm - again the seal/tape/adhesive was probably put on too thick.
Before I left, they did have one tiny touch up on the paint and one loose strip of rubber gasket that was trimmed.
Other then that, the car was perfect.

8 miles on the odometer when we picked it up put another 20 picking up kids (promised that we will pick them up in the Tesla) and straight to get detailed and wrapped.

Full wrap on a black car... so 6-8 days without a Tesla :eek:o_O

That looks like a quick adjustment of the plastic cover rubbing on the strut. Tesla shouldn't need the car more than a few minutes.

8 miles on the odometer when we picked it up put another 20 picking up kids (promised that we will pick them up in the Tesla) and straight to get detailed and wrapped.

Full wrap on a black car... so 6-8 days without a Tesla :eek:o_O

If you don't mind, what type of film are you going with? Would you share the estimate given for the full wrap? I'm getting quote's that are more than double the cost 2 years ago.

I decided to just roll with the punches and didn't do anything proactive such as a list. Since I was getting an inventory car I was betting on anything major already being taken care of.

Took delivery today and for the most part everything seemed to work as expected. My biggest concern was the FWDs. I was able to cycle through them a few times without a hitch - big relief!

We went on a test drive and I did notice quite a lot of wind noise, almost as if a window was open. I was sitting directly behind my wife as she drove and it sounded like it centered around her area. I also thought the ride was very harsh and not comfortable at all. We did get the 22's so I may end up buying a set of 20's to see if it helps.

Overall delivery was better than expected. After prior experience, reading the forums, and consuming enough horror stories, my bar was pretty low. Turns out all of that probably helped as it shaped by expectation for the worse.

Both my wife and I share others' feelings in that the car is amazing/awesome. I'm still not a fan of the FWDs but the benefit can't be beat. And knowing my family gets to burn through their monotonous day with a little more excitement in the safest car on the road, it makes me feel that much better.

@gmtom1 - Yuck, hairnet? Does Elon parlay the assembly line into a food line during off-peak? I don't know much about manufacturing autos but that seems like one of the more strange things to find. I could be totally wrong though.

@robski: I have had that noise from the day one when I test drove before signing off the vehicle. However, DS sweet talked me out of it and since then, I found passenger side quarter window (small bottom front window) was leaking the noise, as I drove long distance at 80 speed. SC repaired it but not good enough as the noise is still coming from the passenger side window. So during my 2nd trip to SC, I drove it with SC supervisor at 90MPH just to prove that window is still leaking from the pass side only. I am scheduled for a 3rd SC visit (all in 40 days of purchase with 12 days already in the shop) for F&F issues with window leaking and now FWD snapping noise.

After rechecking and comparing the front passenger window with the driver’s side window, I noticed pass window glass sticks out 1/16th or more compared to the driver’s window. I wonder if anyone has noticed this on their MX.

I have had many center screen freezing/blackout situations occurred in last 40 days of MX ownership. I wonder whether I have got a Lemon.

That looks like a quick adjustment of the plastic cover rubbing on the strut. Tesla shouldn't need the car more than a few minutes.
Good to hear! I hate to make them come out two hours for a quick fix but they instited a ranger couldn't do it. The other passenger side FWD also rattles inside the cabin when driving, and it sounds like it's near the top window of the door. Not sure what's going on there.

@robski: I have had that noise from the day one when I test drove before signing off the vehicle. However, DS sweet talked me out of it and since then, I found passenger side quarter window (small bottom front window) was leaking the noise, as I drove long distance at 80 speed. SC repaired it but not good enough as the noise is still coming from the passenger side window. So during my 2nd trip to SC, I drove it with SC supervisor at 90MPH just to prove that window is still leaking from the pass side only. I am scheduled for a 3rd SC visit (all in 40 days of purchase with 12 days already in the shop) for F&F issues with window leaking and now FWD snapping noise.

After rechecking and comparing the front passenger window with the driver’s side window, I noticed pass window glass sticks out 1/16th or more compared to the driver’s window. I wonder if anyone has noticed this on their MX.

I have had many center screen freezing/blackout situations occurred in last 40 days of MX ownership. I wonder whether I have got a Lemon.
I have passenger window noise issues. Following advice in this forum i re-calibrated window on my own. I think it seems better, but not sure yet.

I'm quickly finding out that this is a car of tradeoffs. It's both the best car I've ever owned and the worse.

Passenger door motor keeps turning and will no longer open or shut the door. It started yesterday (day 2 of ownership) and my wife was able to have someone look at it while she was charging. SC came out and fixed it...or maybe not. Today it started happening again so now they want the car until the weekend. So now they've held possession of the car longer than me after signing the papers.

My detailer informed me last night that our rear bumper is Obsidian Black not Solid Black like the rest of the vehicle. :(:eek::( (saw it myself and it's pretty clear - but did not notice at delivery)
So, we now have an appointment to have the rear bumper re-painted. I asked for a factory painted bumper and was told that it is impossible to get any parts from the factory painted.

And after the paint job is done, I am told to wait 30 days before having it wrapped! :( So, 30 days of possible paint damage...

They will provide a loaner, but since we took the car straight from delivery to detailer, we haven't put but ~20 miles on the car... o_Oo_O

I'm quickly finding out that this is a car of tradeoffs. It's both the best car I've ever owned and the worse.

Passenger door motor keeps turning and will no longer open or shut the door. It started yesterday (day 2 of ownership) and my wife was able to have someone look at it while she was charging. SC came out and fixed it...or maybe not. Today it started happening again so now they want the car until the weekend. So now they've held possession of the car longer than me after signing the papers.
I totally understand your feeling. Mine was taken back 5 min after delivery to fix the FWD. They drove 30+ miles back to my house after fixing. I almost feel like I bought an inventory/loaner.

While I like the FWD at the same time we have to be very careful and cautious every time we use them... there were a few times the doors were going to close on us. My wife makes jokes about them now but if it happens a few more times esp if our kids are hurt, she will tell me to get rid of the car. Now I have child protection on and disable key fob close-all.