Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red light detection, stop sign detection, stopping!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

verygreen

Curious member
Jan 16, 2017
TN
So, great leap with 19.8.3!

I did not think they'd be this careless, but Tesla brought early gifts!

As of 19.8.3 the car can now detect and stop for red lights and stop signs (no video of that yet).

I have proof!

Now, I am not sayoing YOUR car can do it, and for a good reason, it's not very robust yet and misdetects the light at times. But it's still great progress that I did not expect to see this early.

Consider this early preview.

Times of interest: 6:26 - it cannot tell the light color so slows down in case it's red so it can gently stop.
at 4:05 it starts to be not sure what color it is (granted, the lighting is tricky with the sun behind us washing stuff out)
at 5:12 it nearly runs a red light and I need to intervene.

And here's the stop sign

image0.png

As of 19.8.3 the car can now detect and stop for red lights and stop signs (no video of that yet).

I have proof!

Now, I am not sayoing YOUR car can do it, and for a good reason, it's not very robust yet and misdetects the light at times. But it's still great progress that I did not expect to see this early.

Times of interest: 6:26 - it cannot tell the light color so slows down in case it's red so it can gently stop.
at 4:05 it starts to be not sure what color it is (granted, the lighting is tricky with the sun behind us washing stuff out)

And here's the stop sign

View attachment 391026

What’s up with the “blind spot limited” message? I’ve seen several folks (AP2.0) mention they get that message all the time after the update and now they can no longer get “see” blind spot vehicles on the IC. Is there an issue with the firmware?

Great find for the lights/signs!

What’s up with the “blind spot limited” message? I’ve seen several folks (AP2.0) mention they get that message all the time after the update and now they can no longer get “see” blind spot vehicles on the IC. Is there an issue with the firmware?

Great find for the lights/signs!
My autopilot unit broke down and could no longer talk to right repeater camera, so I get a message like that and auto lane changes no longer work. sigh.

Do you know if this an all markets feature @verygreen?
Currently you cannot officially have it (other than the display of traffic lights status) anywhere. The display is for US only according to rlease notes tags.

nice!
Keep a copy of this firmware cause im sure a hot-fix is coming with this disabled.
Yeah, you bet I am keeping a copy. I so want a 19.9 - I am sure a lot more gems there.

Reactions: PaulJohn
Awesome work, thanks for the video! I wonder if it'll take Tesla another ~6 months to enable this for real users similar to unconfirmed lane changes in NoA that first appeared hidden in early NoA builds but didn't get rolled out to actual test users until ~2019.9 :eek:

In a passive mode I imagine it's only another 2-3 months away.

In a mode where it actually stops the vehicle like verygreen demonstrated that's probably ~6 months to enable it for real users.

I personally just want the passive indicator. I have 19.8.3, but there is no indicator as I don't have verygreen's hacking skills.

I have proof!

And here's the stop sign

View attachment 391026
Read your post, and the "S" received a download this morning 2019.8.3 with the stop sign update, so went out and tried it and blew through several stop signs and red lights. After reading again the release notes again it says "MAY" as in "May Not" in my case.

Read your post, and the "S" received a download this morning 2019.8.3 with the stop sign update, so went out and tried it and blew through several stop signs and red lights. After reading again the release notes again it says "MAY" as in "May Not" in my case.

There hasn't been a single case of red light detection working with 2019.8.3

I was hoping verygreen would have some insights on why, but this thread just makes it more mysterious. As it obviously the underlining code works to some degree. So why is the warning not even working for those of us with unhacked cars.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike

the feature is not activated until like 24 to 48 hours after update install. be patient. And safe!

There hasn't been a single case of red light detection working with 2019.8.3

I was hoping verygreen would have some insights on why, but this thread just makes it more mysterious. As it obviously the underlining code works to some degree. So why is the warning not even working for those of us with unhacked cars.
the activation is two stage process.

1. you get 19.8.3 (and are in US)
2. you install it and it reports to mothership.
3. mothership updates your config to enable the feature
4. eventually your car fetches the new config.
5. it starts working.

There are mentions on reddit that people with 3s saw the detections working. so I am sure it will be widely seen soon.