Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model X & S Waiting Room - AUSTRALIA (Orders cancelled by Tesla May2023)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the last 40 years or so Australia has imported a lot of cars from Japan (which is also RHD). It's just a pity the Japanese automakers dropped the ball so badly with EVs.
It is interesting, but when you look at Japanese autos in Japan and those in Australia you can see that they are in large part not the same. For instance, most of the Toyatas seen in Australia are not seen in Japan but are seen in the US.

By sales, Toyota is a RHT company despite being a Japanese company.

we have amongst the highest number of distinct vehicle manufacturers and models available in our market for a country of our size.
That could be because we are a relatively wealthy country, with a lot of the car buying population having disposable income to buy premium and luxury segment vehicles.

It's clearly a simple commercial decision on Tesla's part to cease RHD production of their niche models, but I think they are being just too greedy. They already make a good margin on every car they sell, and other mfgrs whose margin per unit is not as lucrative still offer their high-end/halo cars in RHD. It fits in with other (imho crazy) cost-cutting decisions in Tesla's recent past, like deletion of USS.

I can only presume that you are happy not to drive the Models X and S, and all the other autos that will not be available to you
I have a model S, great car that’s served me well over 8 years and will do for a few more years yet. The model S has served its purpose for Teslas mission. before September 2019 Tesla didn’t have any cars available for the the sub $110k market, now they don’t don’t have any available for the 110k plus market, such is life.

Yeah I'll keep my S too - it's probably worth a bit more now that they aren't making any more of 'em in RHD. It's still somewhere between the M3LR and M3P in performance (i.e. goes like the clappers), looks great, and has a nice big boot.

I'll just have to suck up the MCU2 upgrade before Telstra turns 3G off (and probably replace the old yellowing screen too...) and replace tyres with monotonous regularity, but such is life with what is rapidly becoming a vintage GT car.

Reactions: johnchidgey
Yeah I'll keep my S too - it's probably worth a bit more now that they aren't making any more of 'em in RHD. It's still somewhere between the M3LR and M3P in performance (i.e. goes like the clappers), looks great, and has a nice big boot.

I'll just have to suck up the MCU2 upgrade before Telstra turns 3G off (and probably replace the old yellowing screen too...) and replace tyres with monotonous regularity, but such is life with what is rapidly becoming a vintage GT car.

Nice signature update ;)

Reactions: ICUDoc
Classic Australian forum post: make up unverifiable facts.

"Australia is one of the most competitive new-car markets in the world, with more brands represented here per-capita than most other developed countries.
For example, the US has 30 or so brands for 17 million annual sales and the UK has 40 or so brands for 2.5 million sales.

Australia has about 50 new-car brands competing for about 1.1 million sales annua…"

You're welcome :cool:

Last edited: