Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model X & S Waiting Room - AUSTRALIA (Orders cancelled by Tesla May2023)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because you're still missing the point.

Using the various testing standards to compare cars is only useful if you intend to drive those cars the way they were tested.

You're complaining that Teslas don't get the advertised range in your style of driving when Tesla don't set the testing rules
No…again you miss my main point….the Merc advertises a good range and gets close to it and the range of the EQE300 is actually really good….a number of posts back it was said that the EQE isn’t as good as the Model S due to a number of factors including range (this simply isn’t the case).

I am not anti Tesla, I have been buying Tesla since late 2014….on our 3rd Tesla and would be 5th if Tesla sold us the new S/X, have a PW2 blah blah..wife alway used to say I would marry Elon given half the chance…I am merely pointing out that the Merc EQE300 at 626km advertised (real world 550km) is pretty darn good and in my mind does compete in the range comparison to an S.

Reactions: paulp
It's all good until you turn up at the broken Charge fox and realise that's why you originally bought a Tesla.
I don’t use SC’ers in my daily driver, all driving around town and charge fully by sun. In our X we do very occasional (ski’ing trips) so hopefully by the time we change the X charging at none Tesla fast chargers has gotten more reliable (if it doesn’t EV adoption will ultimately fail in this country).

Reactions: paulp
It's all good until you turn up at the broken Charge fox and realise that's why you originally bought a Tesla.
Once again this is not a criteria for everyone. I have used a supercharger once this year and last year, and not for need of a charge. Home charging works very well for me so public charging receives zero consideration. It is also not why I originally bought a tesla. When I did that adelaide had zero superchargers, zero destination chargers, and zero service centres. Late adopters get it easy!

I drove an EQE53AMG yesterday - wow! the interior is amazing! Almost TOO much tech- looks a bit overwhelming.
Fast enough but feels a little isolated from outside- even less road feel than Raven (thought that was impossible!).
Parking camera and HUD are the best I've ever seen, its bizarre that Tesla doesn't have them. Stereo is sensational.
Also considering the EQS53AMG- I sat in one but did not drive. It's shape is slipperier, range is longer but it's much bigger, although the all-wheel steering should help manoeuvrability.
So many choices!

I drove an EQE53AMG yesterday - wow! the interior is amazing! Almost TOO much tech- looks a bit overwhelming.
Fast enough but feels a little isolated from outside- even less road feel than Raven (thought that was impossible!).
Parking camera and HUD are the best I've ever seen, its bizarre that Tesla doesn't have them. Stereo is sensational.
Also considering the EQS53AMG- I sat in one but did not drive. It's shape is slipperier, range is longer but it's much bigger, although the all-wheel steering should help manoeuvrability.
So many choices!
Evidently the ‘zero layer’ concept places the items you use most often on the front layer of the screen, so in theory that should make the options easier to use. I also understand the AMG only dials (the two small round screens on the steering wheel) are programmable on the main screen to do whatever you want, but thats based on an online review.
The AMG variants have less all-wheel-steering than the non-amg variants due to the massive tyre width.
I thought the EQE53 offered more road feel than my 75D, but no-where near a true sports car.

• Informative
Reactions: ICUDoc
No-one tempted to buy a Taycan?

I looked into it and decided the base models around 200k are too slow (0-100 in mid 5s) and the turbo S at 400k is too rich for my blood. They look great but not much room inside, the Model S is better as fast family GT car IMO.

Im looking for a 2020 Model S performance if I can find a good one at a reasonable price. The handful currently for sale are now asking 30k more than they were before this refresh fiasco.

Wow. That's a pretty salty post for someone that has only been on this board for 1 month. I would suggest listening and learning the culture for a bit before you go shooting off your mouth. Not least of which we aren't talking about Britain in this thread. You see, this thread is about a country called Australia. I realize that US schools don't like to talk about other countries (unless we are invading them) but Australia is a pretty large place in the South Pacific/Indian Ocean. Surely you have heard of it?

This is classic Tesla thinking short term vs long term. I know they believe that they can quickly pivot to this market when they need to but I don't think they appreciate the loss in goodwill and brand recognition. Also remember that India drives left and is poised to surpass China as the world's most populous country by 2040. It is foolish to ignore this market.
My life experience precedes joining this board. I was not born yesterday. I am certain that I know Australia far better than you. For instance, I am aware that Australia is a very British country and one of the British things that they do is drive on the left side of the road.

When I first discovered that there are countries that drive on the left my reaction was, why. I mean, what's the point! Later an auto company executive told me it was basically a trade protectionist measure. The British realized that they could not compete with the rest of the world and, as a result, they erected non tariff barriers to keep out the competition. Even though this was well before the existence of the global car market I remember remarking that they would regret this policy, but, in truth it was probably the executive who said it. Whomever said it the fact is that Australia made its decision and now they are whining about the success of their policy.

I've looked at the boards for other LHD countries and they're different to the Australian board. The preoccupation of the English board is some sort of money make scheme of importing the cars from continental Europe. On the Japanese and Hong Kong boards there is no mention of the cancellations. And there is no point looking on the Indian board because if you had ever been to India you would know that they do not import autos - even Teslas - even though its population is soon to exceed the PRC's. But, in any case, it is my understanding that the total LHD auto market - including India - is less than 20% of the total world market.

My life experience precedes joining this board. I was not born yesterday. I am certain that I know Australia far better than you. For instance, I am aware that Australia is a very British country and one of the British things that they do is drive on the left side of the road.

When I first discovered that there are countries that drive on the left my reaction was, why. I mean, what's the point! Later an auto company executive told me it was basically a trade protectionist measure. The British realized that they could not compete with the rest of the world and, as a result, they erected non tariff barriers to keep out the competition. Even though this was well before the existence of the global car market I remember remarking that they would regret this policy, but, in truth it was probably the executive who said it. Whomever said it the fact is that Australia made its decision and now they are whining about the success of their policy.

I've looked at the boards for other LHD countries and they're different to the Australian board. The preoccupation of the English board is some sort of money make scheme of importing the cars from continental Europe. On the Japanese and Hong Kong boards there is no mention of the cancellations. And there is no point looking on the Indian board because if you had ever been to India you would know that they do not import autos - even Teslas - even though its population is soon to exceed the PRC's. But, in any case, it is my understanding that the total LHD auto market - including India - is less than 20% of the total world market.
In the beginning everyone drove on the left side of the road - was to do with having one's sword arm available in the event of a problem.
Then bloody Henry Ford decided he preferred the other side...
Maybe he was a pacifist or perhaps left handed - who knows why he did it.

In the beginning everyone drove on the left side of the road - was to do with having one's sword arm available in the event of a problem.
Then bloody Henry Ford decided he preferred the other side...
Maybe he was a pacifist or perhaps left handed - who knows why he did it.
So that's not true. Henry Ford did not cause the US to switch the side on which we drive.

When you describe someone as ‘british’ it means they were either born in Britain or have the nationality of British on their passport. Someone born in Australia or having Australian on their passport is described as an Australian, not a Brit. So when you say “you british” you are directly stating the person or group is british, which is possible but you are unlikely to know, just like you don’t know that India do indeed import cars, but impose massive tarifs to discourage it. As for blindly believing an auto executive…even Elon Musk stated that he would never forget those that purchased S&X to make Tesla happen, and many believed him.

You've got to be pretty stupid if you believe an auto company executive telling you that people drive on different sides of the road as a form of protectionism. People have been using the left of the road since Roman times. 'Driving' on the left and right predates auto manufacturers by thousands of years. Even the switch in some countries to driving on the right predates cars and dates back to the use of carriages.

Regardless of the ongoing debate, I can't see how Tesla can turn up to the show with just two products in the RHD world. Is the $25k car the answer? Is the M3 the new MS.
All I can see happening is Tesla being swamped without the variety that will soon be offered.
This has to be reviewed at the board level because a further revised Model S seems unlikely in the next few years. The body in white is already certified so something else is going to cost.
Like many other decisions, this has to and will be reversed in time.