Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model X & S Waiting Room - AUSTRALIA (Orders cancelled by Tesla May2023)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So just to be clear, your steering inputs would be sent to the wheels via a reliable and never buggy piece of tesla software. Sounds fun. Does the patent include a trademark for “phantom steering”?

I would think any such system would be in core firmware stored on an EPROM or similar, with at least one redundant backup.

This is how Teslas currently work for core safety systems like blinkers, throttle, headlights, ABS etc.

These are controlled by firmware and are independent of the MCU software. These systems continue to function even if the main computer crashes. Any future fly-by-wire steering actuator would take the same approach. Suspect other manufacturers would take the same path.

I would think any such system would be in core firmware stored on an EPROM or similar, with at least one redundant backup.

This is how Teslas currently work for core safety systems like blinkers, throttle, headlights, ABS etc.

These are controlled by firmware and are independent of the MCU software. These systems continue to function even if the main computer crashes. Any future fly-by-wire steering actuator would take the same approach. Suspect other manufacturers would take the same path.
From what I have read, the Lexus system has 2 actuation motors and a separate battery, so the steering still works if one motor fails and also if the power fails.

• Informative
Reactions: paulp and Hairyman
Todays puzzle, find a path to RHD heaven, please!

F1IM5KEaMAEcB81.jpg

• Love
Reactions: ICUDoc
Soz, Vostok, the "in" joke is our mutual, shared, marked disappointment at Tesla's decision to renege on their sales of Model S to Australia. However, both of us can't help torturing ourselves (and each other) with graphic descriptions of how bloody awesome the now-unobtainable vehicle actually is...

Here's another I dug up to keep the pain going, this was the car.
I think this rates as an 11

Screenshot_20201017_174922.jpg

Having had a good look inside and out of a Plaid Model S two weeks ago at Goodwood, I can tell you chrome delete aside, the Plaid is indistinguishable from the old S. If the widebody kit adds an inch, you can't see it.
This video shows the differences pretty well, about 1 inch wider on every wheel arch. Its also a few cm lower which makes it look much better IMO.

Reactions: Sluggabed