Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model X & S Waiting Room - AUSTRALIA (Orders cancelled by Tesla May2023)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cannot see those going RHD any time soon. Roadster probably dead until they discover a battery small enough to fit the car that will deliver the range promised.
The promised 1000km range at product launch in 2017 seems kind of stupid now. Based on the plaid, it dosent need a 200kw pack to hit the claimed performance figures and roadster owners dont need such ridiculous range.

With a 100 - 120kw pack it would be ample for the performance and keep the weight hundreds of kg lighter which would be way better for handling.

Reactions: Vostok and paulp
Interesting then.
So if Tesla makes say $15k on the existing car, they only make $5k on this software downgraded model.

Obviously might be other issues at play like keeping the line near full capacity to amortised fixed costs.

Nonsense. Tesla makes probably $40k at the lower price point now, and more at every optimized revision. Remember, Tesla used to sell a more expensive S frame at $50k and now they have optimized manufacturing so everything is cheaper: battery, motors, frame, paint. Tesla is making a Killing on these. At the rate they are going, they are going to scalp the competition by lowering prices even further while remaining profitable.

Nonsense. Tesla makes probably $40k at the lower price point now, and more at every optimized revision. Remember, Tesla used to sell a more expensive S frame at $50k and now they have optimized manufacturing so everything is cheaper: battery, motors, frame, paint. Tesla is making a Killing on these. At the rate they are going, they are going to scalp the competition by lowering prices even further while remaining profitable.

Why not sell to RHD markets if there is so much profit per car?

Both our S/X orders got cancelled with Tesla's excuse pointing to it not be economically feasible to produce for RHD markets...

Why not sell to RHD markets if there is so much profit per car?

Both our S/X orders got cancelled with Tesla's excuse pointing to it not be economically feasible to produce for RHD markets...

It costs the same to make a RHD or LHD car if you have the other regulatory processes in place, so you can think how valid Tesla's excuse is. They simply don't have their ducks in the row on this one and that's why they can't produce the RHD yet. But it is true that the cars are so overpriced at the moment that the sales volumes will be too low for now. Just wait for the prices to come down and volumes to pick up.

Last edited:
This was always complete BS. Tesla proudly announces a manufacturing prowess over the competition at every level (innovation, vertical integration, cost), yet its not economical for RHD S/X.
My ass.
The body in white has done all the certification and roadworthiness approvals.
Other manufactures don't have this issue for low volume vehicles and how many different manufacturers do we have in this market (was mentioned earlier in the thread)
This is pure Elon chasing the rounding errors and grasping at straws on the balance sheet as to getting the share price up, back to the glory days before the forced Twitter purchase.

I always go back to the Tesla mission statement. “To accelerate the advent of sustainable transport.”
The role of Model S and X was always as a medium price vehicle that was a step towards the mass market vehicle, Model 3 and Model Y.
So I can understand why it’s not a focus, perhaps the low volume of orders didn’t justify the cost of RHD production changes, which includes at least a new dashboard moulding. That doesn’t mean I’m not disappointed by the end of RHD models. 😢
I thought the focus of Tesla was quite good up to the point of Model 3 and Y, including Semi and even Cybertruck, but Elon’s seems to have a caught “Billionaire fever” and has since become distracted.

If demand is slowing, that would reinforce that the decision to knife those products here was the correct .

That's some whacky logic. Those markets are sated, they've had the S and X on sale continuously since 2012. RHD markets haven't had an S or X since Nov 2020, and there was likely plenty of pent up demand. I'm not sure why there is a hardcore element strongly defending an accountant's bad decision.

Reactions: EcoCloudIT
This was always complete BS. Tesla proudly announces a manufacturing prowess over the competition at every level (innovation, vertical integration, cost), yet its not economical for RHD S/X.
My ass.
The body in white has done all the certification and roadworthiness approvals.
Other manufactures don't have this issue for low volume vehicles and how many different manufacturers do we have in this market (was mentioned earlier in the thread)
This is pure Elon chasing the rounding errors and grasping at straws on the balance sheet as to getting the share price up, back to the glory days before the forced Twitter purchase.
Elon has also forgotten the promise to look after the early adopters.

Reactions: Burnt Toast