Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried to add positive reputation to a post, and got a message that said something like: "you need to spread reputation around before adding more to Xxxxx, try adding reputation to other members first."

This should not be necessary. If a post deserves a thumbs up, we should be able to do so. Regardless, I have added positive reputation to other members before and after the one other post from this individual.

Also the reputation field is an easy way to add an off-topic comment that doesn't clutter up the thread and make work for the Mods. I understand about the not wanting to be able to abuse the system, but how about this: Leave the way the reputation count works alone but have the ability to leave a message. The pop-up would say, "You must spread some reputation around before points will be added to this group member, but you can leave a message."

I wouldn't tie too much importance to reputation points (except for vfx :) ) - it's too easy for someone to *game* the system by making deals with people to swap reputation points. I've been trying to leave more and more, because it's a nice way to tell people you like their posts.

I encourage everyone to leave reputation not only for posts they like (because they're in agreement with the post content), but also for posts that they may disagree with that are respectful and also for posts that just encourage good discussion.

We probably are going to reset the whole system to enable some changes the mods would like to see, including more transparency of the source of the reputation points.

The single marks has the greater selection of things like toobrushes and backscratchers. When you get the 2nd mark the catalog gets more exclusive. :)

Well, it'll be a cold day in Purgatory until I see a second mark. Telling me that there's an 'exclusive' catalog for the 'special' people is probably going to end up with you getting some 'bad' reputation in a few seconds here...as soon as I click post on this reply....wait for it...

....I encourage everyone to leave reputation not only for posts they like (because they're in agreement with the post content), but also for posts that they may disagree with that are respectful and also for posts that just encourage good discussion....

Great idea, but why can't I give positive reputation to a post that I like? Instead, I get a message to give reputation to other members first! :confused: (please see my earlier post in this thread)

GSP

Great idea, but why can't I give positive reputation to a post that I like? Instead, I get a message to give reputation to other members first! :confused: (please see my earlier post in this thread)

GSP

It's frustrating (I have the same limit). On the other hand, there are people on forums that would use the reputation system to either drive up a friend's rep or (much worse, in my opinion) use it to give constant negative to someone they don't like.

Imperfect, but it does keep those situations from happening. When I run up against that limit, I just leave a post complimenting them or send a private message saying the same.

So what is the limit? Is it that you must add reputation to X number of individual members before adding reputation to the same member again? If so what is X?

In any case your suggestion to send a PM makes more sense than finding other posts that deserve adding reputation.

GSP

PS. It seems that X must be 3 or 4 or more. Frustrating.

PPS. I think I have cracked the algorithm for reputation. It is quite simple: you can never give reputation more than once to the same person.

Last edited:
It's a place for people to anonymously say your posts are "snarky" or "nitpicky" with no channel for subsequent communication or positive follow-up.

i think this sums up this system very well, but much nicer than i would say...as i , would also add " lob 'insults or say things that are irrelevant and make no sense" with the anonymity and maturity of a sixth-grade snitch.

........'.i do not make people earn my respect, i give everybody i meet 100% respect, and it is theirs to lose".

I just got a negative reputation point for asking a technical question about how the battery vents in the Tesla Crash/Fire thread.

The negative person told me to stop contributing to the thread and "move on". Seems as if they are playing moderator and trying to close a thread.

Irritating.

I just got a negative reputation point for asking a technical question about how the battery vents in the Tesla Crash/Fire thread.

The negative person told me to stop contributing to the thread and "move on". Seems as if they are playing moderator and trying to close a thread.

Irritating.

Agree 100%.
We just had another example in the thread on Global Warming. IMO, as I also said previously, negative reputation points should be considered and judged by the moderator before of being given to TMC Members coming to write their posts on TMC with sincere interest for the matters treated on the Forum.

i think this sums up this system very well, but much nicer than i would say...as i , would also add " lob 'insults or say things that are irrelevant and make no sense" with the anonymity and maturity of a sixth-grade snitch.

........'.i do not make people earn my respect, i give everybody i meet 100% respect, and it is theirs to lose".

Your last sentence sum up my thinking.

I came here from google search and found good info on investor forum but sometime moderators are involved too much or feels like control and opinion orientated for each comments slightly against EV or Tesla.

In fact reduce my participation and won't recommend this forum to anyone... negative reputation goes to garbage in my opinion because anonymous = cowards.

Agree 100%.
We just had another example in the thread on Global Warming. IMO, as I also said previously, negative reputation points should be considered and judged by the moderator before of being given to TMC Members coming to write their posts on TMC with sincere interest for the matters treated on the Forum.

I think one point negative isn't going to be a big difference either way. I've been ding'ed negatively by several posters, everything from me pointing out legitimate insurance and liability issues related to certain aftermarket charging products, to expressing my concern with certain ideological elements of the Church of Climate Change, to my stated belief that you should give Tesla a chance to correct any defects voluntarily before running to the government to tattle. I take it in stride - and as you can see by the 4 green bars, there are many who give positive reputation, too.

The only thing I'll encourage is to make the anonymous cowards' feedback into noise. When you can, if you see a good, well thought out or helpful post, give positive feedback.