Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit to matrix (global) headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay so your saying refresh model x uses 3 pin connector for both Matrix and non-matrix ? I have mxp, I can check when my wife gets home.

Do you have Ethernet port or older h-mtd ?
It's a 6 pin connector with 3 wires.

1708016722156.png

My cars have the ethernet port. S I bought recently and therefore came with matrix from the factory. X is a 05/22 build with the standard LEDs

Actual service manual links:

SOP to January 2023: Connector - X260
January 2023 to current: Connector - X260

And even the pre-refresh model shows the same connector, though with two more pins populated Connector - X260 (which appear to be an extra 12v and ground based on the circuit diagram)

Last edited:
Reactions: Daytonaviolet
It's a 6 pin connector with 3 wires.

View attachment 1018639

My cars have the ethernet port. S I bought recently and therefore came with matrix from the factory. X is a 05/22 build with the standard LEDs

Actual service manual links:

SOP to January 2023: Connector - X260
January 2023 to current: Connector - X260

And even the pre-refresh model shows the same connector, though with two more pins populated Connector - X260 (which appear to be an extra 12v and ground based on the circuit diagram)
Seems that’s a different connector with a 3 pins. Will still need an adaptor to fit existing harness to the back of the Mx matrix

Seems that’s a different connector with a 3 pins. Will still need an adaptor to fit existing harness to the back of the Mx matrix
Hmm, well I suppose it's possible Tesla has mislabeled the X diagrams, I don't have the X headlamps in front of me to verify. Should be easy enough to build an adapter in the worst case

Edit: Found some pictures of the MX globals. You're right. Of course Tesla has the MX diagrams mislabeled. But it's a simple adapter at least

Last edited:
Hmm, well I suppose it's possible Tesla has mislabeled the X diagrams, I don't have the X headlamps in front of me to verify. Should be easy enough to build an adapter in the worst case

Edit: Found some pictures of the MX globals. You're right. Of course Tesla has the MX diagrams mislabeled. But it's a simple adapter at least
From looking at the eBay Mx matrix lights, the connectors on the light side looks same 3pin. But I’m guessing the harness side uses 3pin on 6pin connector. But yes adaptor source can make those.

From looking at the eBay Mx matrix lights, the connectors on the light side looks same 3pin. But I’m guessing the harness side uses 3pin on 6pin connector. But yes adaptor source can make those.
Or if you know how to crimp and such, it should be easy enough to DIY. I think these are the parts you'd need + appropriate wire. Though I would recommend buying mroe than the minimum quantity of pins and seals. Wire needs to be at least 17 awg / 1mm^2 for the power and ground going by Tesla's diagrams. Since 17awg is nearly impossible to find in the US, 16awg is probably fine, though it'll be a tight fit into the new connectors.

1708020894492.png

Last edited:
Or if you know how to crimp and such, it should be easy enough to DIY. I think these are the parts you'd need + appropriate wire. Though I would recommend buying mroe than the minimum quantity of pins and seals. Wire needs to be at least 17 awg / 1mm^2 for the power and ground going by Tesla's diagrams. Since 17awg is nearly impossible to find in the US, 16awg is probably fine, though it'll be a tight fit into the new connectors.

View attachment 1018666
Yes it’s a simple DIY 👍

Reactions: BlueMoon1217
If you have Ethernet cable, you can plug into your pc for remote programming. If you have H-MTD, then you’ll need to use this converter. My car is a December 2021 build. Mine had H-MTD.

View attachment 1018615
My X was built December 21 too. Has same connector. It's annoying how expensive the media converter is. Not sure it's worth the money. 2 Model X matrix lights new on eBay are $1k

My X was built December 21 too. Has same connector. It's annoying how expensive the media converter is. Not sure it's worth the money. 2 Model X matrix lights new on eBay are $1k
Dunno if you saw my post earlier, but there are some relatively cheap media converters on ebay being sold by a liquidator. INTREPID RAD MOON 2 100/1000BASE-T1 MEDIA CONVERTER AUTOMOTIVE (MATENET CONNECT) | eBay + https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/HARTING/33480147826020?qs=W/MpXkg%2BdQ5c8PCpjMB9GQ== + https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806163562285.html should get you a functional setup.

Or INTREPID RAD MOON 2 1000BASE-T GIGABIT RJ45 MEDIA CONVERTER AUTOMOTIVE (USB-C) | eBay + https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806163562285.html + an off the shelf ethernet cable.

I ended up actually purchasing the first combo. My cars have the ethernet port, but I've been meaning to poke around the internal network which still needs a two wire ethernet connection.

Dunno if you saw my post earlier, but there are some relatively cheap media converters on ebay being sold by a liquidator. INTREPID RAD MOON 2 100/1000BASE-T1 MEDIA CONVERTER AUTOMOTIVE (MATENET CONNECT) | eBay + https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/HARTING/33480147826020?qs=W/MpXkg%2BdQ5c8PCpjMB9GQ== + https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806163562285.html should get you a functional setup.

Or INTREPID RAD MOON 2 1000BASE-T GIGABIT RJ45 MEDIA CONVERTER AUTOMOTIVE (USB-C) | eBay + https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806163562285.html + an off the shelf ethernet cable.

I ended up actually purchasing the first combo. My cars have the ethernet port, but I've been meaning to poke around the internal network which still needs a two wire ethernet connection.
how long was shipping for the first combo?

how long was shipping for the first combo?
We’ll find out, literally ordered only a couple hours ago lol. The aliexpress item will be the bottleneck. But those h-mtd cables are oddly expensive (whether they have an h-mtd at both ends or a matenet connector at one end like above).

Mouser actually does have some name brand (TE connectivity) matenet cables pretty cheap, but any adapters to go to h-mtd or even just buying the connector and trying to crimp it myself gets you back into oddly expensive territory.

View attachment 1018666
Those are the correct parts. The Aptiv connector is the same one used on the Model S. Finding the right gauge automotive wire is a pain. The TE connector can accommodate up to 14 gauge wire but starts to interfere with the insulator seal #6. Also, the Aptiv connector is a pain to get a part the way they ship it with the retainer. I wish they would just ship it loose. There is another version that is made by a different manufacturer (purple retainer) that is easier to work, though it is more fagile.

I built the adapters that Daytonaviolet is using, as well as my own and a few others. I've made up one for the Model X if someone would be interested in testing it.
IMG_0856.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Daytonaviolet
I used some 16 gauge teflon coated wire (specifically Mil-spec M16878/4 wire), which made getting the seals on and crimping the whole assembly not too much of a pain since the overall thickness is not that different from 17 awg "standard" wire

CX8A1065.jpg

CX8A1063.jpg

I also didn't have to take apart the aptiv connectors? Just slid the pins in and then closed the locking mechanism