Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly. Yoke is fine in a Formula 1 race car where the driver never has to turn the yoke more than 180 degrees. It's not good in a road car where you have to turn the wheel more than 360 degrees trying to navigate through parking lots.
I gave these same arguments before I took delivery of my 2022 MXLR. Now that I've driven it for 9 months, I don't find the yoke shape a limiting factor at all. However, the lack of physical buttons for the horn and turn signals is a huge problem; I've adjusted to these buttons but I don't like them.

I gave these same arguments before I took delivery of my 2022 MXLR. Now that I've driven it for 9 months, I don't find the yoke shape a limiting factor at all. However, the lack of physical buttons for the horn and turn signals is a huge problem; I've adjusted to these buttons but I don't like them.
it is a limiting factor though looking at review videos when parking and making tight turns with arms crossing or you have to turn the yoke rapidly because again... it is a chopped up steering wheel (much less control surface) and no adjustable steer ratios like drive-by-wire would offer. Lexus is likely releasing the latter which would be fine. The yoke is the definition of form over function.

Reactions: pilotSteve and Brou
it is a limiting factor though looking at review videos when parking and making tight turns with arms crossing or you have to turn the yoke rapidly because again... it is a chopped up steering wheel (much less control surface) and no adjustable steer ratios like drive-by-wire would offer. Lexus is likely releasing the latter which would be fine. The yoke is the definition of form over function.
Seems we will agree to disagree on how big is the impact of switching to a yoke. But I agree that the yoke is form over function: it was a change to be different, with little to no real benefit.

Exactly. Yoke is fine in a Formula 1 race car where the driver never has to turn the yoke more than 180 degrees. It's not good in a road car where you have to turn the wheel more than 360 degrees trying to navigate through parking lots.
I'm one of those people that have to periodically change my hand positions around the wheel when driving and I can't imagine the fatigue of having my hands at the 3 & 9 o'clock positions for long durations.

Tesla will lose out a lot of customers if their volume model 3 (often sold to first time owners) only comes with a yoke. Especially a yoke which is a chopped up steering wheel and not adjustable steer ratio - drive by wire. Expecting that folks drop $50k+ on a new car and then also add an aftermarket steering wheel is funny.
Well, I did it on a $130k car.....
For your fingers to Elon's ears but here we are with production S/X and the CT prototypes having a yoke. I've ranted about this for a year. In fact I didn't place my MX Plaid order until I knew the aftermarket had a proper wheel option. I spent 9 days with the yoke and hated every one. It is a TERRIBLE solution for a car that you will drive. Anyway, tons of threads on this in the S and X forums here so I won't rehash them all but my prediction stands.....

Plaid's yoke might use several upgrades: 1) Turn signals and emergency lights should be moved to both thumb tips or index tips at the rear of the handle bar, with a double press for blinks. 2) Horn button should return to the original center position; 3) steering yoke size might be reduced by two inches; lower right corner slightly obstructs lower left screen; and 4) lower horizontal bar should be removed since they serve no use.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
If Tesla goes w/ the yoke on the 3/Y, would it make sense for them to include a snap-on kit that converts the yoke to a full steering wheel? And then drivers simply choose what they want. Tesla gets the benefit of mass user feedback, esp as drivers discuss their yoke-vs-wheel preferences on forums like these.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mr X
Tesla doesn't care about user feedback, at least not anymore. They produce what they think will sell and what the designers and commanders in chief want or think consumers want, particularly new/first-time consumers.

It hasnt hit them yet to think about retention with so many lining up for a fix.

Side mirrors are currently required in the US, but not in some other jurisdictions, where a smaller-than-mirror camera sticks out with a display inside the car where the driver would look for a side mirror.

(photo from Japan-market Lexus ES)

2019-lexus-es-digital-outer-mirror-106-1536784372.jpg
This pic is a perfect example that the inside display is superior to outside mirror. I would much rather have that super clear screen image than have to look at an outside mirror through that rain-spattered window. The outside mirror on the other side (left on this right hand drive car) is even harder to see. Changing lanes in the rain can be very dangerous if there is no clear view of the lane. It’s worse at night in the rain or snow.

If Tesla intends to compete using only their superior overall EV integration, I think they'll find a lot of bored owners who want a shiny new thing will bail out in the next 5 years.
Have you been to any non-Tesla EV forums? There are a lot of customers out there who will never buy a Tesla. Ever. And it's because of Tesla's reputation for poor build quality, crap service, and a lunatic CEO. Those who say reputation doesn't matter are in for a big surprise as Tesla loses orders and finds many cancellations on its hands. It's already happening.

Reactions: smogne41 and Brou
Have you been to any non-Tesla EV forums? There are a lot of customers out there who will never buy a Tesla. Ever. And it's because of Tesla's reputation for poor build quality, crap service, and a lunatic CEO. Those who say reputation doesn't matter are in for a big surprise as Tesla loses orders and finds many cancellations on its hands. It's already happening.
So, what are you driving now?

Tesla does not care about repeat purchases, they want the non-enthusiast, non-grease monkey, non-tech-savvy masses to buy units to scale.
Tesla cannot survive without repeat purchases. If Elon Musk thinks Tesla's reputation (which is already ruined, btw) doesn't matter he's in for a rude awakening. He sure is the dumbest genius I've ever followed. The most basic concepts escape his low IQ.

So, what are you driving now?
I sold my S and am waiting on a brand new BMW iX that is currently en-route from Germany! We are so excited to never have to deal with the Tesla bull crap ever again!

You must not use Superchargers much.
The usefulness of the Supercharger network is overstated, in my opinion. Even with the fastest supercharger on the fastest-charging Tesla, charge stops still add at least 20% to the travel time. That's an absurd proposition. Fly instead!

There's much more than the better experience. The Supercharger network is worlds more reliable than other chargers. You don't have to take my word for it: search TMC or look at reviews on PlugShare.

More competition in both vehicles and charging can only be good for us consumers. However, based on 9 years of experience with an EV, I'm not optimistic other chargers will improve soon.
This is a non-issue for me. The vast majority of American car buyers drive less than 100 miles per day—most under 50 miles per day. The vast majority of American car owners do not engage in long-range road-tripping.

You realize this is the Tesla Motors Club?
I find this type of response typical of those who cannot engage in factual comparisons when those comparisons don't look good for Tesla.

Tesla will lose out a lot of customers if their volume model 3 (often sold to first time owners) only comes with a yoke. Especially a yoke which is a chopped up steering wheel and not adjustable steer ratio - drive by wire. Expecting that folks drop $50k+ on a new car and then also add an aftermarket steering wheel is funny.
Let Tesla lose out. At some point the Board of Directors needs to realize that Musk cannot be allowed to make such decisions based on his concept of what is "cool" or "killer" or "hardcore" or whatever moronic, superficial adjective he chooses to use that day.

Tesla doesn't care about user feedback, at least not anymore. They produce what they think will sell and what the designers and commanders in chief want or think consumers want, particularly new/first-time consumers.

It hasnt hit them yet to think about retention with so many lining up for a fix.
Go to any non-Tesla EV forum and you will quickly see that Tesla has a major customer retention and brand image problem. Elon, not being particularly intelligent about the basic things, has no hope of picking up on this.

Im getting calls from Tesla sales about trading in both of my older teslas for new. Have some in the lot ready to go! Never had that happen before.
Tesla is experiencing a tidal wave of cancellations right now because the tax credit kicks-in in less than 3 weeks. Who would want to take delivery now? That's why Tesla is offering $3,750 off on every 3/Y being delivered this month. Customers are still leaving $3,750 on the table, though, and it's a rotten deal for anyone with at least $7,500 in tax liability.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Tesla is experiencing a tidal wave of cancellations right now because the tax credit kicks-in in less than 3 weeks. Who would want to take delivery now? That's why Tesla is offering $3,750 off on every 3/Y being delivered this month. Customers are still leaving $3,750 on the table, though, and it's a rotten deal for anyone with at least $7,500 in tax liability.
Do we even know the cars will qualify for the full $7500?

Do we even know the cars will qualify for the full $7500?
Yes as long as the cars stay within the price limits and those applying for the credit do not exceed the annual income threshold. I don't know about the LFP models because those cells come from China. The Y/3 are extremely overpriced as it is. Giving customers a paltry $3,750 seems inadequate at a time when cancellations seem to be at an all-time high.

Only on certain trims and for certain buyers (caps on both car price and annual income). With a fair bit of fine print, exceptions and exclusions.

There are a few ev-centric websites that detail this for Tesla and all other makes/models that will be on sape in the US come Jan 2023.

I havent heard anything definitive on what cars will qualify for the full $7500 (only speculation.) A few OEMs have already come out stating they are likely to be eligible for the $3750 though. I think the rules were supposed to be flushed out by year's end, but I guess qualifying vehicles dont need to be fully defined until the 2023 tax season kicks off (January 2024.) I imagine the dynamic nature of the supply chain makes this complicated, so maybe we wont know til the end of 2023. Its possible some vehicles (of the same model) could have varying degrees of credit (kinda like what happened with the ID4.)

In any case, I imagine most folks are holding out more so due to ever-increasing rates (and looming recession/layoffs) than anything else. We recently picked up a MY, but we were fortunate on locking in a relatively low rate AND selling our previous vehicle for more than what we had paid for it (sold last summer.) If we had to buy at today's rates, we likely would've just held onto our current vehicle. If we had lost 30-40% value on our trade in (from what it appraised last summer), we likely would've held onto our current vehicle. Anyone looking to buy today (or 2023) are likely facing both. A collapsing used car market is going to kill the equity folks have in their current vehicles.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: brkaus