Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Tesla intends to compete using only their superior overall EV integration, I think they'll find a lot of bored owners who want a shiny new thing will bail out in the next 5 years.
Tesla's lead in the EV stuff is not an impassable barrier, if other companies put a little more effort into it. If they do, then Tesla needs to step it up in some other areas (including not doing annoying things like removing hardware before the software replacement is ready).

Reactions: ord3r and 804son
Tesla's lead in the EV stuff is not an impassable barrier, if other companies put a little more effort into it. If they do, then Tesla needs to step it up in some other areas (including not doing annoying things like removing hardware before the software replacement is ready).
Indeed. We are seeing other companies' "first generation" serious efforts hitting the road after a decade of development work in their compliance car programs behind the scenes etc. They will iterate faster than Tesla, if Tesla doesn't start iterating soon.

Not much, but I have used both Supercharging with a Tesla and other fast charging on another EV.

The Supercharging experience was better, with the charge stop included in the in-car navigation. However, that is not an insurmountable advantage if other companies put more effort into it.
There's much more than the better experience. The Supercharger network is worlds more reliable than other chargers. You don't have to take my word for it: search TMC or look at reviews on PlugShare.

More competition in both vehicles and charging can only be good for us consumers. However, based on 9 years of experience with an EV, I'm not optimistic other chargers will improve soon.

There's much more than the better experience. The Supercharger network is worlds more reliable than other chargers. You don't have to take my word for it: search TMC or look at reviews on PlugShare.

More competition in both vehicles and charging can only be good for us consumers. However, based on 9 years of experience with an EV, I'm not optimistic other chargers will improve soon.
after ditching my 2020 Model 3 for the Audi etron, the EA network is 100% a let down and why I will not be buying another vehicle that is not a tesla. I have high hopes for this redesign on the model 3. Will be my next vehicle.

I am a software and integration guy, tesla does it best. The frequent screen lag and disconnects from apple carplay on the Audi more than irritates the living hell out of me.

after ditching my 2020 Model 3 for the Audi etron, the EA network is 100% a let down and why I will not be buying another vehicle that is not a tesla. I have high hopes for this redesign on the model 3. Will be my next vehicle.

I am a software and integration guy, tesla does it best. The frequent screen lag and disconnects from apple carplay on the Audi more than irritates the living hell out of me.
💯

I fear the 💩-show of independent charging networks risks a backlash against EV adoption. The general public won't be as patient as EV enthusiasts like us.

Reactions: Olle
💯

I fear the 💩-show of independent charging networks risks a backlash against EV adoption. The general public won't be as patient as EV enthusiasts like us.
I would say that depends on how much of the general public actually uses public chargers. I've had my car since June and have never charged outside of my garage. Switching to a non-Tesla EV would have no impact on my charging - surely I'm not the only one.

Reactions: strider

After owning 4 Tesla's, I am now in a Rivian and our last road trip definitely was more painful than the same trips we did previously in the Tesla. We only do long road trips once a year so it's not a deal breaker, but it certainly should be something people carefully weigh in when deciding to buy, especially if they plan to go on a lot of long trips requiring fast charging.

I only hope on the Rivian end of things, we see their RAN (Rivian Adventure Network) grow at similar speeds that Tesla had done.

if they take away the stalks ... at least give us double-paned windows in the front ( like they currently have) but also in the back... this would cut cabin noise noticeably down (imho the Model 3 is too loud inside compared to Mach E / BMW i4 and not in line with the premium price point).
additionally maybe add more insulation into wheel wells... anything to make the cabin more quiet.

yoke would be a deal-breaker for me and I hope that Tesla doesn't go there with the 3.

if they take away the stalks ... at least give us double-paned windows in the front ( like they currently have) but also in the back... this would cut cabin noise noticeably down (imho the Model 3 is too loud inside compared to Mach E / BMW i4 and not in line with the premium price point).
additionally maybe add more insulation into wheel wells... anything to make the cabin more quiet.

yoke would be a deal-breaker for me and I hope that Tesla doesn't go there with the 3.
As someone who has a refresh X, I find the yoke isn't a problem. However, buttons for the turn signal and the horn are a horrible design.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Even the horn is a small button somewhere on the yoke?

Yes, see attached picture. Furthermore, note that it's a Haptic Touch pad. So you really can't activate the horn without looking at the yoke.

You don't just press the center of the yoke?

Nothing happens if you press the center of the yoke.

If so, that is dangerous. You are supposed to be able to quickly press the horn without looking.

💯

Attachments

• IMG_2285 (1).jpeg
    IMG_2285 (1).jpeg
    200.1 KB · Views: 95
Reactions: pilotSteve
Side mirrors are currently required in the US, but not in some other jurisdictions, where a smaller-than-mirror camera sticks out with a display inside the car where the driver would look for a side mirror.

(photo from Japan-market Lexus ES)

2019-lexus-es-digital-outer-mirror-106-1536784372.jpg
That would work for me.

Has anyone here habituated to using the sideview video on the screen when changing lanes (and not the mirrors)? I haven't and don't know if it's the position or the size of the video or habit.