Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
own opinion?
what is the criteria?
what makes them better?
cushy suspension = better suspension??

That’s exactly it. Everyone’s opinion is different and if you’ve driven enough vehicles you know the type of suspension you like on your vehicle….

Some might be coming from German Sports Sedans that were tuned to their taste out the factory.

Hopefully someone can clear something up for me because I’m not understanding why people keep complaining about a performance model being uncomfortable(too stiff) , or being less efficient (wheels too big) . Wouldn't that be why you would buy the long range if that’s what you wanted? Every other performance car made by every German car company is uncomfortable, my C 63S broke my teeth every time I hit a bump and my BMW wasn’t very cushy either . I feel like I’m missing the point maybe?
I think some people are just a lot more sensitive to certain things than others. I’ve been hearing about Model 3 — regardless of trim — having seats that are uncomfortable. I can’t relate to that at all. As far as Performance M3 having stiff suspension, I’ve always actually pumped up my tires on my performance oriented cars a few psi over the years, and I don’t even notice rougher ride. So that kinda thing doesn’t bother me at all. To each his own.

Reactions: dfwatt
I just found an article published yesterday in a reputable Chinese car website that say Shanghai factory will start Highland production on September this year.

Hopefully someone can clear something up for me because I’m not understanding why people keep complaining about a performance model being uncomfortable(too stiff) , or being less efficient (wheels too big) . Wouldn't that be why you would buy the long range if that’s what you wanted? Every other performance car made by every German car company is uncomfortable, my C 63S broke my teeth every time I hit a bump and my BMW wasn’t very cushy either . I feel like I’m missing the point maybe?
Complaining is the primary cottage industry on forums. If complaining does not get you anywhere there's always trolling and flaming.

Hopefully someone can clear something up for me because I’m not understanding why people keep complaining about a performance model being uncomfortable(too stiff) , or being less efficient (wheels too big) . Wouldn't that be why you would buy the long range if that’s what you wanted?
Remember for a fair amount of time, the only LR-AWD you could order was the Perf, because the LR was sold out so far they weren't taking new orders. People just wanted the LR, and were willing to pay more for it, and so got the Perf and complained it wasn't the LR version.

(My 2021 Perf is plenty comfortable, and if I were to modify it I'd go with stiffer shocks instead. I would prefer more efficient wheels, and so I've got one set of Gemeni 19s for my winter wheels, and keep considering getting another set for summer tires)

Here is a direct comparison of my render VS the disguised prototype...

I might be pretty close on this one :D

What do you think?

324a2827ee72d81ed29166a937a8d3f5699e1ffa.jpeg
99be91ef92d9aed621d12cdd8e4552c427127edd.jpeg

I think that's pretty close except 1) front sharp lip on the photo seems simpler than on the render which has a curved part and then a little shelf. I think it is simpler straight in.

Front on the render also has some higher 'shoulders' which are on the current model 3, but appear to be less or absent in the photo. My guess it's more of a simple wedge closer to the cybertruck.

I'm wondering how the new 3's and Y's will be accepted by the masses when prospective buyers ponder the absence of turn signal and gear changing stalks, common wiper and cruise control interfaces. I, for one, am glad I didn't wait another year. I'm one of those - who like the stalks being on the steering column.
Have those features actually been confirmed yet?

So having been a C63S owner also. I remember that being somewhat better than a Model 3 Performance though I’ll give you not massively. However I had a BMW M5 after that, didn’t go for the upgraded 20inch wheels and left it on 19’s. It was the most comfortable car I’ve ever had on coil suspension and would still corner extremely flat. Yes, admittedly a more expensive car but just saying it’s possible.

I’m not asking for miracles. Let some people have the performance and also slightly smaller wheels for better comfort and efficiency/range. Maybe I'm the odd one out but I don't care if I have a bit more rubber and a bit less rim.

Reactions: NCDAG's M3P
Performance cars don’t have to ride like *sugar* - in fact a shitty ride is often a sign of poor suspension tuning that won’t handle any better than a well engineered “softer” setup, especially over bumps and broken pavement and such. Firm, ok fine. But no compliance in the tire and not-great damping don’t usually mix very well and that was my impression of the stock M3P setup - it gets away with a lot because of the low CG which masks a lot of vices.

Which worries me a bit when I hear adaptive suspension might be coming to model 3 considering how often other oem’s manage to give you 3 modes that all suck worse than the previous car’s passive damper setup…

Last edited: