Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The RWD and AWD models both feature these same parcel shelf speakers which are now exposed to the trunk. And both now include deep cubbies on the right side where the subwoofer once was.

1694291697322.png

The outgoing model had parcel shelf speakers sealed in these little bulges:

1694292116152.png

So I'll be interested to see where they've hidden the new dual subwoofers. There's not a lot of extra space behind those trim panels:

1694292241727.png

Attachments

• 1694291802808.png
    1694291802808.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 62
  • Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Same curiosity then. Trying to remember the last roundabout I went through that required turning the wheel several rotations to traverse. Maybe a quarter turn at best and amazingly the turn indicator is right by your thumb so no need to even take your hand off the wheel. While I was skeptical myself at first, using this “change“ for a few days I find it much more user friendly and honestly a minimal concern.

As you see in Luk3yd's video - a typical roundabout in Europe you'll turn the wheel anything from 90-180 or even more as you're going round. And that's many times every single journey. Those in the UK actually have it a bit better - they turn to the right as they're going round, meaning the indicator buttons go over the top. You'll find you can comfortably keep the hand that goes over the top on the wheel, your arm/wrist rotating with it for as much as 180 degrees. Whereas in the rest of Europe we turn to the left round roundabouts so the buttons are going underneath. In that case your hand is leaving the wheel around 90 degrees unless you're some kind of contortionist. So the Brits have a better chance than the rest of us at adapting to it.

That’s correct. They are ”free air” subwoofers. I’m concerned about this implementation as this type of subwoofer requires great sound dampening and will expose any rattles in the trunk area.

I’m starting to think Tesla went the cheaper route in terms of speaker quality on the highland. More speakers isn’t better if the speakers are not quality.

We shall see. Elon does (or did) care about sound quality in Teslas.

Last edited:
Reactions: gtgarner
The RWD and AWD models both feature these same parcel shelf speakers which are now exposed to the trunk. And both now include deep cubbies on the right side where the subwoofer once was.

View attachment 972403

The outgoing model had parcel shelf speakers sealed in these little bulges:

View attachment 972406

So I'll be interested to see where they've hidden the new dual subwoofers. There's not a lot of extra space behind those trim panels:

View attachment 972407

I think those parcel shelf speakers are the woofers. There are probably mids in the shelf that you can’t see from the trunk.
Yeah, it seems those parcel shelf speakers appear to be the woofers, as per below thread. There's probably no enclosure.
Highland Model 3's new 17 speaker soundsystem

Reactions: pdx_m3s
That’s correct. They are ”free air” subwoofers. I’m concerned about this implementation as this type of subwoofer requires great sound dampening and will expose any rattles in the trunk area.

I’m starting to think Tesla went the cheaper route in terms of speaker quality on the highland. More speakers isn’t better if the speakers are not quality.

We shall see. Elon does (or did) care about sound quality in Teslas.

I think Tesla spent money in all the right places with Highland. The benchmark electric car just got even better.

I bought a new Model 3 two weeks ago, knowing full well that the refresh was imminent. There are lots of reasons.

1) Significant discount on inventory vehicles
2) impending reduction of federal tax credit and other local incentives here in CA that ran out of funds this week
3) I’ve been around Tesla as a company long enough to know I have no interest in the first 100k copies or so of a major refresh coming off the line
4) Some of the changed user input elements are objectively worse and I have no interest in them (i.e. no-stalk-gate)
5) Many of the new “features” like a rear screen and LED light strip are completely useless to me

I’m sure they’ll continue to sell every car they can make until they shut down the factory for upgrades - they’re a fantastic value right now. The people terrified of missing out on the amazing new thing will wait patiently - but there are plenty of buyers out there who either don’t care or don’t have the foggiest idea that there’s a new Model 3 in other parts of the world right now.
Yeah, lack of stalks is reason enough for me to buy 3 performance and not an S or highland

They are ”free air” subwoofers. I’m concerned about this implementation as this type of subwoofer requires great sound dampening and will expose any rattles in the trunk area.

Ah yes, you're right. My confusion was that I thought one of the photos showed a RWD model with these same speakers which would imply that they are just woofers, not subs. But it turns out the pics were all AWD models, so these are indeed the new dual subs.

It definitely seems like a cheap hack to just jigsaw a hole in parcel shelf, throw speaker in it, then go around telling all your friends that your entire trunk is a giant subwoofer. It's just not the same thing. And yeah, the Model 3 has enough problems already with the trunk lid and rear seats rattling, so this seems like an ambitious strategy.

Promising info. I didn’t dig that deep into the new manual but what you suggest does make sense.
I wish Tesla would just stop hiding the ball on this issue though. I’d likely wait for new model if I knew this issue was addressed. I also like the body style changes but could care less about ambient lighting and some of the other changes.
I also don’t care about the new steering wheel and the added complication with the turn signals. Better suspension and range is very appealing too.
I just don’t think I can wait until 2024 so I’m hoping prices drop another grand and I’ll take the deal, and learn to change cabin filter, twice per year.

It's really easy to change the cabin filter yourself on the current model 3. Way easier than getting a girl to right swipe on you on Tinder

I think Tesla spent money in all the right places with Highland. The benchmark electric car just got even better.

I do like most of the refresh on the Highland but they really shoulda add HUD and redesigned the center console to maximize the storage space. I prefer the open space for center console, not closed. Volvo does a good job on the center console design imo.

I do like most of the refresh on the Highland but they really shoulda add HUD and redesigned the center console to maximize the storage space. I prefer the open space for center console, not closed. Volvo does a good job on the center console design imo.

I know what you mean.

What's interesting to me is that Tesla didn't add much aesthetic hardware. In fact, they may have lowered aesthetic hardware count and most people here seem to like it. What a win/win for Tesla.

BUT...

Like you - I don't like hardly any of the aesthetic changes. ( I do like the interior lights; however, I was able to add that myself to my current M3 through a 3rd party. ) The changes that are hidden to my eyes are a bonus to Tesla ( not me ) IMHO. I'm glad it may cost them less to make the car ( ex. the removal of the fog lights/vent port ) - thereby improving their financial bottom line.

I wouldn't buy one for the look.

I know what you mean.

What's interesting to me is that Tesla didn't add much aesthetic hardware. In fact, they may have lowered aesthetic hardware count and most people here seem to like it. What a win/win for Tesla.

BUT...

Like you - I don't like hardly any of the aesthetic changes. ( I do like the interior lights; however, I was able to add that myself to my current M3 through a 3rd party. ) The changes that are hidden to my eyes are a bonus to Tesla ( not me ) IMHO. I'm glad it may cost them less to make the car ( ex. the removal of the fog lights/vent port ) - thereby improving their financial bottom line.

I wouldn't buy one for the look.
I guess it’s a good thing we all have different tastes or life would be very boring.

I bought my current Model 3 *despite* the (IMO) rather awkward looks.

I think the highland, visually, knocked it out of the park. It’s a far better looking car (again, IMO).

I too think the front end looks much better and less "Frog like" than the stock Model 3, but with repeat looks I do feel like it slides too close to not having "enough" on the front. I feel they could have styled it a little more, but frankly I don't know enough to say what I would have added.

I find the lack of stalks increasingly silly. It's not just a mis-hit kind of issue for me- now your barrier of entry for people who would consider a Tesla from literally any other OEM just became higher, because your car now is just so much more different to drive.

It's strange they got rid of the fog lights; I wonder if the LEDs have alternate modes that delete their need?

Reactions: smogne41