Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumour: Model 3/Y to lose stalks in 2023 model year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An idea conceived of and designed by people who don’t drive.
Comments from people that haven't tried something but know they won't like it.

I think there are several things already about the Model 3 that took some getting used to, regen braking for example, so I would need to give it a go and see what I think. I could certainly live without the gear selector stalk, it's kind of irritating how far it needs to be moved. I'll grant you that indicators seems like a less good solution, but as I've never tried I guess I would need to give it a go. I'm not sure I've ever used the horn, and the dip headlights would be less essential if the autodips understood motorways better.

Also if they imitate the new Model S I understand that manual wipers are easier to control as you can use the wheel once the mini control panel is on the screen.

Reactions: Zakalwe
I don't think this change would bother me at all, if anything it would be a good change. I personally don't like the look of the current wheel. If it changed to the one in the article it looks much better, as for the indicators on the wheel? If its good enough for Ferrari ? 😅

Haptic / touch buttons are fine once you get used to them, I didn't like them on my Mercedes AMG when I first got it but now I'm used to them they are fine, I don't see this being any different.

Reactions: RCMY
How are you supposed to indicate coming off a roundabout? I guess roundabouts aren’t really a thing in the States so who cares eh?

The last car I had with indicators on the wheel they were really obvious tactile buttons that you couldn’t miss, and like @cerbfan the lock to lock was like a go kart.
There are several (long!) threads in the US Model S forum with the majority seeming to favour the stalkless yoke in the new S Plaid and X.
Having held a US licence for 12 years and watching many of the videos I am sure many of the American drivers wouldn't pass a UK or Australian driving test just on the one thing - not indicating properly. Many of the comments show that they have little idea of indicating before leaving a roundabout, for example - when the wheel/yoke will be at least upside down and, in a mini roundabout, almost a full turn away from straight ahead.
Tesla is rapidly becoming a nerd heaven run by geeks with no idea of what the man in the street wants. Too many solutions for non-existent problems.

There are several (long!) threads in the US Model S forum with the majority seeming to favour the stalkless yoke in the new S Plaid and X.
Having held a US licence for 12 years and watching many of the videos I am sure many of the American drivers wouldn't pass a UK or Australian driving test just on the one thing - not indicating properly. Many of the comments show that they have little idea of indicating before leaving a roundabout, for example - when the wheel/yoke will be at least upside down and, in a mini roundabout, almost a full turn away from straight ahead.
Tesla is rapidly becoming a nerd heaven run by geeks with no idea of what the man in the street wants. Too many solutions for non-existent problems.
I agree it might be OK for most things. and I actually would not miss the gear selector stalk. It does nothing a couple of buttons could not do as well or better.
Its the indicators on roundabouts and possible loss of wiper button that would concern me.
I came around a corner on a sunny day recently to discover a farmer had badly positioned his sprinklers and the car got a real soaking. The ability to instantly hit the button and clear the screen was essential. Not sure if the auto wipers were off ( due to previous misbehaviour) or if I was just quicker. I imagine the convertible I saw 20 seconds later coming the other way really enjoyed it though 😂

I have needed that a few times such as when over taking lorries in the rain on the motorway and the auto wipers are too slow to step up. I think it would be dangerous to not have the ability to instantly kick the wipers in so I hope there is still a button for that on the steering wheel

I'm getting my M3P on Friday... And I'm actually a bit disappointed if this is true... I think it's pretty cool...

I'd maybe think the turn signals should be at opposite sides of the wheel rather than on the left... But beyond that I like the idea of it...

Having better access to wipers and lights is a bonus and downside to the current setup. This feels better..

No idea why people dislike it... If you want to keep traditional buttons or stalks then get a car from other manufacturer... My friend is getting a I-pace as he didn't want to "give up on buttons just yet" Vs the model Y.. which is fair enough

That being said this source doesn't really feel the most legit... So we'll see

I agree it might be OK for most things. and I actually would not miss the gear selector stalk. It does nothing a couple of buttons could not do as well or better.
Its the indicators on roundabouts and possible loss of wiper button that would concern me.
I came around a corner on a sunny day recently to discover a farmer had badly positioned his sprinklers and the car got a real soaking. The ability to instantly hit the button and clear the screen was essential. Not sure if the auto wipers were off ( due to previous misbehaviour) or if I was just quicker. I imagine the convertible I saw 20 seconds later coming the other way really enjoyed it though 😂

I have needed that a few times such as when over taking lorries in the rain on the motorway and the auto wipers are too slow to step up. I think it would be dangerous to not have the ability to instantly kick the wipers in so I hope there is still a button for that on the steering wheel
The S+X still have a wiper button, as does the rendering of the Semi in the link (on the right above voice control). A single press does a wipe. Press and hold to squirt.

The headlights button flashes the lights. Press and hold on it turns on/off auto-brights.

On the S+X both buttons bring up their respective menu on the screen for further adjustment when pressed.

Reactions: Jason71
The model 3s without the indicator stalks are easy to spot:

tesla-3-series-with-bmw-grille-3-1024x555.jpg
:)

Funny how they're doing this as it unclutters the cabin design in the quest for a button free cabin.. by adding a load of buttons to the steering wheel.

In the UK, a quick flash if the headlights is a very common, if not strictly correct, use of full beam. that will become even more difficult. And the legitimate use of the full beam as a warning... in an emergency... it does stretch the credibility stakes to say thats going to be an improvement

Untitled.jpg

Comments from people that haven't tried something but know they won't like it.

I think there are several things already about the Model 3 that took some getting used to, regen braking for example, so I would need to give it a go and see what I think. I could certainly live without the gear selector stalk, it's kind of irritating how far it needs to be moved. I'll grant you that indicators seems like a less good solution, but as I've never tried I guess I would need to give it a go. I'm not sure I've ever used the horn, and the dip headlights would be less essential if the autodips understood motorways better.

Also if they imitate the new Model S I understand that manual wipers are easier to control as you can use the wheel once the mini control panel is on the screen.

this does strike me a bit like the conversation 5 years ago about not having an instrument cluster. It sounded radical, but turned out not to be a big deal.

Reactions: pow216
this does strike me a bit like the conversation 5 years ago about not having an instrument cluster. It sounded radical, but turned out not to be a big deal.
I can’t imagine how awkward it would be to parallel park in a tight space if every gear change involved swiping a gear selection function on the screen. The article seems to suggest that is how gear selection would be done.

For new S/X owners across the pond : what happens if the main screen gets damaged/unresponsive? The whole car becomes undrivable?

Anyway we’re seeing more and more reports of how touchscreens are the worst possible UX in a moving vehicle, and physical buttons are safer/more convenient for driver focus.
I suspect Tesla is only pursuing this trend as a differentiating factor and not necessarily as a better interface.

It’s starting to look like the Mac design choices half a decade ago. Designers dictating all engineering decisions and getting rid of all ports « because it’s stylish »… ending up with nice machines unfit for purpose. Took them a while to come back from that…

Reactions: Transformer
For new S/X owners across the pond : what happens if the main screen gets damaged/unresponsive? The whole car becomes undrivable?

Anyway we’re seeing more and more reports of how touchscreens are the worst possible UX in a moving vehicle, and physical buttons are safer/more convenient for driver focus.
I suspect Tesla is only pursuing this trend as a differentiating factor and not necessarily as a better interface.

It’s starting to look like the Mac design choices half a decade ago. Designers dictating all engineering decisions and getting rid of all ports « because it’s stylish »… ending up with nice machines unfit for purpose. Took them a while to come back from that…
I'm not across the pond, but there are backup capacitive buttons that illuminate upon failure under the wireless chargers.

It’s about cost saving, not even about being a differentiating factor. The cost of properly engineered automotive switches is huge. A touch screen is cheap.