Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Scan My Tesla, a CANBUS reader for Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All this info is elsewhere on TMC isn't it? Which is probably why you are not getting any responses to your questions like this and others. I think they are great questions - just some of them are in the wrong place.
Thanks. I think you are right about my cell voltage ranges question. I guess I put it in this dedicated SMT thread because I was also asking about those 6 sets of SMT data fields and thought others would be using this best-available tool if they were looking at their battery as well ... thus they would have gone thru the steps of what fields to look at and the method used. I do try to supply enough details to show I've done some background work before posting. But I can be too much sometimes ... per my wife and kids!! :)

Spec: LR TM3 with 18" wheels

1) Can other LR TM3 folks using SMT say what their 'Nominal full pack' value is? (his is quite a bit less than 72.8 which is from Tesla Battery Charging Data from 801 Cars ).

2) @amund7 , what is "expected remaining" compared "Nominal remaining"? ie. how determined or calculated. TIA I looked at Scan My Tesla Readings but it is not there: Scan My Tesla readings

3) @amund7 , what is "SOC expected" compared "SOC"? ie. how determined or calculated. TIA

1. Mine has around 74.3 these days, at 18 000 km. My previous one from Feb 2019 kept around 77 for the longest time, but then dropped to 74-75 after about 6000 km. Funny / sad observation was that the second car was down to 75 of day 2 of ownership... so either car 2 is *sugar*, or we shouldn't worry too much about this number :) But your son's is, well, looks quite sad, I suppose you did try to charge to 100%? How do the cell voltages / cell imbalance look at 100%?

2 + 3
SOC = (nominalRemaining - buffer) / (nominalFullPackEnergy - buffer) * 100.0);
SOC Expected = (expectedRemaining - buffer) / (nominalFullPackEnergy - buffer) * 100.0);

What is expected remaining? Answer is, I have no clue, but it's there for all S and X too, and in this case a user figured it fits better with the SOC % in the car with a cold battery (snow crystal, blue line indicating 'cold' loss)

I need to update that sheet for Model 3, but haven't gotten around to it yet....

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
@scottf200

My September 2018 Model 3, Long Range, DM, 25k miles on it
Nominal Full Pack: 70.6 kWh
Energy Buffer: 3.2 kWh

AC Charge Total: 7209 kWh
DC Charge Total: 525 kWh
Regen Total: 1999 kwH
Total Charge(s): 9736 kWh

Also here is my TeslaFi Battery Screenshot

Tm3_2020-01-08.JPG
Tm3_2020-01-08.JPG

• Helpful
Do you guys have a method for reducing the data from SMT? When I want to log my car in the garage for 1 hour, I can get 1M datapoints. I may want to reduce this down to 1 datapoint every second or minute to make digesting and analyzing it easier. The things we do with the data don't ALWAYS require millisecond polling....

PS- Didn't see it in the interface anywhere, but a setting to select the polling/recording rate would be nice!

Last edited:
Do you guys have a method for reducing the data from SMT? When I want to log my car in the garage for 1 hour, I can get 1M datapoints. I may want to reduce this down to 1 datapoint every second or minute to make digesting and analyzing it easier. The things we do with the data don't ALWAYS require millisecond polling....

PS- Didn't see it in the interface anywhere, but a setting to select the polling/recording rate would be nice!

Yes, it has been requested quite a lot, and it will be implemented at some point. Working very hard on the IOS version along with new dashboards right now, that must come first I think.

In the meantime you can consider logging only what you need, and also think about which packets are fast and which are slow. Battery voltage, amps and power are 100 hz. So is speed, most of the drive unit packets (torque, power etc). While temperatures are usually very slow. But then again, in the garage, most of these will not send anything anyways. So if you are interested in temperatures, log the Temps tab, and you'll see a lot less data.

Also, consider getting Teslalogger, it probably does exactly what you want, and plots it nicely, stores it 24/7. EV longterm diagnostics – our “TESLA-Logger” – EMDS

@scottf200 @HostileHarry

I was seeing low range numbers on the indicator so I got everything i needed to check my car with scan my Tesla. I picked up my car May 31, 2018. LR Model 3 RWD with 27,000 kms on it. Here is a link to the screen shots I made two days ago. To test to see if I could increase the nominal capacity I have run the car down to low and back up, did the same thing on a supercharger, let the battery SoC get lower then I normally let it by only plugging in every 2-3 days, charging to 90 percent instead of 80 percent which i had mostly been doing. Other then mild variations in the amount nothing has really changed. After this set of screen shots was take the nominal pack was showing 68 kWh instead of 67.7 kWh

Here is the pertinent data - screen shots are here Scan my Tesla Updated - Album on Imgur

Nominal Full Pack 67.7 kWh
Energy Buffer - 3 kWh

AC Charge total - 5067 kWh
DC Charge total - 325 kWh
Regen Total - 1787 kWh
Charge Total - 7123 kWh

Charge Cycles - 105

• Helpful
1. Mine has around 74.3 these days, at 18 000 km. My previous one from Feb 2019 kept around 77 for the longest time, but then dropped to 74-75 after about 6000 km. Funny / sad observation was that the second car was down to 75 of day 2 of ownership... so either car 2 is *sugar*, or we shouldn't worry too much about this number :) But your son's is, well, looks quite sad, I suppose you did try to charge to 100%? How do the cell voltages / cell imbalance look at 100%?
My son did charge to 100% yesterday and it continued to charge (cell balance) for 48 minutes. Cell Imbalance at 100% was 16 mV but the day before at 80% it was 8 mV.
@scottf200
My September 2018 Model 3, Long Range, DM, 25k miles on it / Nominal Full Pack: 70.6 kWh
I picked up my car May 31, 2018. LR Model 3 RWD with 27,000 kms on it. / Nominal Full Pack 67.7 kWh
Thanks for the data points guys!
Ti3qPT1.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: golfleep
Yes, it has been requested quite a lot, and it will be implemented at some point. Working very hard on the IOS version along with new dashboards right now, that must come first I think.

In the meantime you can consider logging only what you need, and also think about which packets are fast and which are slow. Battery voltage, amps and power are 100 hz. So is speed, most of the drive unit packets (torque, power etc). While temperatures are usually very slow. But then again, in the garage, most of these will not send anything anyways. So if you are interested in temperatures, log the Temps tab, and you'll see a lot less data.

Also, consider getting Teslalogger, it probably does exactly what you want, and plots it nicely, stores it 24/7. EV longterm diagnostics – our “TESLA-Logger” – EMDS
Thanks.
I've asked TESLA-logger for their image a few times now to no avail :(

I have just written a powershell script that reduces the data via combining every N lines or every N milliseconds and seems to be helpful. I just ran it on a 200MB file which had 1.5M rows of data and the (using the '-pickms 1000' option) reduced file is 2.4 MB and 4,100 rows

I'll post my powershell script here soon (I want to add a couple more tweaks).
Here's an example of the data AFTER the data reduction (it's FAR easier to work with):
LowSOC 2020.01.11.png

Last edited:
  • Helpful
I posted this recently in a different thread, but I have a fairly concerning data point to contribute:

LR AWD, built 9/19, currently 4100 miles, with nominal full pack = 72.7 kWh. Rated miles at 100% = 296.

I started using SMT in December, at that time, nominal full pack = 74 kWh at 3000 miles. The decline in nominal full pack measurements (and rated miles) has been consistent and steady over the past month, however it's been flat at 72.7 for about a week now. I'm hoping I've hit a plateau.

And how the balancing of the cells looks like now ?
I was curious about that as well. Our Chevrolet Volt just got a software update for cell balancing and I'm beta testing a new app related to that for that car.

The Tesla Model 3 in question above is my sons. Arriving home at 30% SOC today he was at 18 mV imbalance and then at 16 mV at both 5 and 10 minutes into charging. 16 mV is what the graphic showed that I posted above in his 100% SOC 'cell balancing' as well.

What has Tesla said about it?
That step has not been taken yet. It is winter after all ... but where they live they get temps in the 50s easily. Plus their area (state even) doesn't have a service center.
This thread (below) also has Tesla Model 3 with varying levels of 'degradation' and is probably a better place for our issue since I'm past getting SMT information / clarification that I originally posted in this thread about
TeslaFi - Battery Degradation Reports (upload your data)