Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Scan My Tesla, a CANBUS reader for Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a guide for how to install the adapter cable into Model X? ive seen the Model 3 guide, which involves a power down before adding the obd adapter. I want to make sure I don’t screw anything up :)
FYI, I have had the adapter on my X for quite a few months. I've never powered it down. I've pulled the bluetooth device a few times to reset it without any issues. I'm using the OBDLink LX
scan my tesla - Adapter speed and filters

FYI, I have had the adapter on my X for quite a few months. I've never powered it down. I've pulled the bluetooth device a few times to reset it without any issues. I'm using the OBDLink LX
scan my tesla - Adapter speed and filters

I too bought the LX and a premade cable. So I don’t need to power down the car before connecting the cable to the port in the X, right?
Were you able to tuck the LX behind the cubby?

I too bought the LX and a premade cable. So I don’t need to power down the car before connecting the cable to the port in the X, right?

I drilled a tiny hole in the back of the cubby so that the OBDII socket is in the cubby. I read some people getting error codes leaving BlueTooth Adapter in full time.

That cubby is not that easy to get out and don’t want to be taking that out. If I recall there is tons of room above the cubby.

Reactions: scottf200
I did the same thing.
My ODBll will randomly not connect, and the only way to reconnect it is to unplug it and plug it back in.
Behind the cubby meant I had to drop the cubby down to get to it.
Dropping the cubby meant I had to dismantle the center console to make room for the cubby to drop.
Now the ODBll lives in the cubby and is accessible to unplug.
I drilled a small home in the upper right corner of the cubby and the wire with ODBll tuck away in the back, mostly unnoticed.

I'm in a MS.
MX may be a different scenario.

No, I never powered down the car. Connecting the cable by itself wouldn't matter since there is nothing traveling anywhere. When you connect the OBDII device is when things flow. I've unplugged/plugged that in without powering down. I don't think I've done it traveling down the road but I may have. It is read-only.

I drilled a tiny hole in the back of the cubby so that the OBDII socket is in the cubby. I read some people getting error codes leaving BlueTooth Adapter in full time.
That cubby is not that easy to get out and don’t want to be taking that out. If I recall there is tons of room above the cubby.
I did the same thing.
My ODBll will randomly not connect, and the only way to reconnect it is to unplug it and plug it back in.

I pulled this out a little for the picture but I put a 'sock' on mine. The 'sock' came from an old sports glasses cover. I do unplug the OBDII adapter before taking it in for service but I leave the cable plugged in.

qGrQPcu.jpg

Hello, does anyone know if the scanmytesla app works on Android Go OS? Or do I need a device with the full sized version of Android? I’m an Apple user so will be buying an android tablet purely for the scanmytesla app.

As I previously wrote - yes.

One thing I noticed with my Nokia 1 (runs Android Go), in order for my laptop to recognise new log files on my phone I have to turn the phone off and on again. Not sure if that is phone or Scan My Tesla related. Just mention for info - may help others.

James

I collected 'all' data from my X and my sons 3 to see the types of things each collected. I merged them and sorted by the names (DataType) to get rid of the direct (name) matches to try to see and show others the differences.

FYI, here are the none matching columns. Note: skipped numbers on the left indicate where the matches were.

Not sure if some of the remaining names could be changed to line up (match). TM3 'R torque' vs TMSX 'Rr torque measured' or 'Rr torque estimate' as an example. Don't get me wrong, I fully understand @amund7 has put a huge effort into his app (with the help from others).

https://i.imgur.com/uBUrUFX.jpg
uBUrUFX.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/In4oXvA.jpg

In4oXvA.jpg

Example of data collected and displayed via DatPlot for my sons AWD TM3 and looking at the front vs rear motor usage. My pre-Raven '17 X with two inductions motors is pretty consistent in both them being used.

Remember:
IhCgp68.jpg

Here is one graph from DatPlot.
~300 kW peak total being used accelerating from 0-70 mph.
~100 kW (1/3) being used by the front induction motor and
~200 kW (2/3) being used by the rear permanent motor.

~75 kW peak being regen from 70-0 mph.
0 kW being regained from the front induction motor and
~75 kW being regained from the rear permanent motor.

61olFv7.jpg

This if 45 mph to 70 mph in 5 mph increments via the wheel. NO front motor usage.

qAydioq.jpg

There was a question about 2019.40.2.1 and ping-ponging (side to side subtle movements).
I tried to look at this with my car last night.
@amund7 What is the Model 3 'Steering Speed'?

I have a '17 X 100D (non-raven) AP 2.0 --- I did a controlled test for about 1 minutes time with (blue) and without (pink) a weight on steering wheel at 9 o-clock (270 degree). With weight (blue) is consistently above 0 vs pink line.
I used the same stretch of 6 (3+3) lane highway and going the same speed (60 mph). Far right event line is showing where NoA took me on the same exit both time. I liked up the data points to that.
Aside: You can see in the without (pink) where I had to provide torque after getting prompted by my car. See the two 'event' lines.
KEY POINT: is that on my car I do not see any difference for ping-ponging based on the steering angle recorded on ScanMyTesla.

5vLv9Sm.jpg

Last edited:
I've made a quick and dirty importer for influxdb in python.
I created this because I'm not a windows user, and wanted to visualise in grafana.

While I've only tested on Linux it should work on all OS.

It uses the CSV format, and names fields as per the the CSV header.

There's a batch importer included as well.

emmertex/scanmytesla_to_influxdb

Attachments

• zoomed in stop.png
    zoomed in stop.png
    162.2 KB · Views: 64
'17 X 100D --
I was surprised recently doing some test with the 'CANbus' tool ScanMyTesla and saw 57 stats still being collected as I was sitting in the drivers seat after doing the POWER OFF menu option.
Include data for both the HV and 12v batteries.

Tqw4gB1.jpg

Does anyone have cell voltage ranges at different SOC %s on their Model 3? I did something crude like the below for the Chevrolet Volt a couple of years back.

Trying to help my son look at some things related to his TM3 and some unexpected sudden range changes that don't seem to be weather-related. He charges to 80% daily. He may charge to 90% for a week. Not sure if it is a myth or not related to good cell balancing to charge up to 90% several times. (?)

I was suggesting he look at data points vai ScanMyTesla. These are the ones I thought were relevant.
  1. Cell imbalance,
  2. Cell temp max, Cell temp mid, Cell temp min
  3. Cell volt max, Cell volt mid, Cell volt min ,
  4. Battery voltage,
  5. SOC, SOC UI, SOC Min, SOC Max, SOC Avg
  6. Outside temp

T1ApJgS.jpg

Model 3 now has readings called max and min pack voltage. On my 3 LR AWD it shows 242/403 volts min/max. That works out to, assuming 96 cells in series, a tad below 4.2 volts max, and 2.52 volts min. I suppose the min voltage is the ABSOLUTE lower limit, where the car shuts down immediately to protect the pack from damage. Or, could be the BMS allows that low under load, but not at idle. I think I have seen at least as low as 2.7 volts under full throttle with low SOC.

• Helpful
Model 3 now has readings called max and min pack voltage. On my 3 LR AWD it shows 242/403 volts min/max. That works out to, assuming 96 cells in series, a tad below 4.2 volts max, and 2.52 volts min. I suppose the min voltage is the ABSOLUTE lower limit, where the car shuts down immediately to protect the pack from damage. Or, could be the BMS allows that low under load, but not at idle. I think I have seen at least as low as 2.7 volts under full throttle with low SOC.
Thanks much. I found those data points in the 'All' tab output file I had of his.
'Max pack voltage': 402.83 / 96 = 4.196
'Min pack voltage': 241.31 / 96 = 2.513

Reactions: amund7
Spec: LR TM3 with 18" wheels

My son's car is down from a high of 308 mile reange to 267. See dark blue line in below graphic.

AFAIK here are the new/perfect values: (72.8 kWh * 1000) / 234 "Wh/mi" is a range of 311.11miles

1) Can other LR TM3 folks using SMT say what their 'Nominal full pack' value is? (his is quite a bit less than 72.8 which is from Tesla Battery Charging Data from 801 Cars ).

2) @amund7 , what is "expected remaining" compared "Nominal remaining"? ie. how determined or calculated. TIA I looked at Scan My Tesla Readings but it is not there: Scan My Tesla readings

3) @amund7 , what is "SOC expected" compared "SOC"? ie. how determined or calculated. TIA

SMT pack info image link
ZND3bM4.jpg

Dark blue = est 100% range (This does not appear related to purple temp if you compare last year to this year in the same month or more)

gKhLLPl.jpg

A thru G is cut-n-paste from TeslaFI.COM

Qbsl8aW.jpg

Does anyone have cell voltage ranges at different SOC %s on their Model 3? I did something crude like the below for the Chevrolet Volt a couple of years back......

All this info is elsewhere on TMC isn't it? Which is probably why you are not getting any responses to your questions like this and others. I think they are great questions - just some of them are in the wrong place.

• Helpful