Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scary Delivery Process

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

napabill

Supporting Member
I configured my M3 on December 23rd. When I was contacted to arrange a delivery date, after a VIN# was assigned, I asked that my delivery date be deferred until Jan 27 to accommodate my travel plans. No problem I was told, but they would have assign a different VIN# once we were closer to Jan 27. I was told a VIN# could not be issued more than 7 days before actual delivery, so a call-back was scheduled for Jan 22, yesterday to assign the VIN. When I tried to email my "Inside Sales Advisor" (ISA) to confirm the call yesterday I got a bounce-back email indicating she was out of the office. I tried calling and finally someone called back late yesterday morning. She indicated that a VIN# could not yet be issued as some internal paperwork was needed from the ISA, and that it would be handled this AM. And that a delivery slot for Saturday could not assigned without a VIN. And that the Saturday slots were filling up. So this morning, NOTHING! I've left multiple emails and phone messages, with nothing being responded to. I then called the main number, and was told that he couldn't access my file as the "Server" was down.

The reason this is such an issue for me, is that I'm flying in from out-of-town and Uber'ing to the Delivery Center in Fremont. I will be without transportation. And all travel arranges have been prepaid and are non-refundable The ISA was aware of this from the beginning and assured me there would be no problem.

@&*!#^@!

Not sure if I'm on the same boat, but I got no vin# for Dec 22nd invite. And I'm pretty close to Fremont. This is frustrating while trying to figure out over 50k on purchase. It's not 100k but 50k is still not chump change for me.

I keep getting blown off by the Tesla over the phone 'a DS will reach out to you' and hasn't happened for 2wks.

A model S was sightly better since I was able to see 'vehicle in production' status.

I wish there's some kind of customer feedback mechanism for these new model 3 delivery people. It seems they hired bunch of inexperienced DS people out of school and they aren't delivering (no pun intended) the best customer experience. Certainly not on par with any of luxury brands they're trying to compete. Heck, if I wasn't 3500 in already, I'm inclined to walk in to one of those 'other' dealers!

This delivery waiting and sour experience will be huge problem once it expands to non-owners. Non-Tesla fanboys are not used to waiting and not hearing anything for 50k car over a month after 3500 deposit. In fact, most of them gets their vehicle over a weekend.

Is anybody successful getting past the phone people regarding model 3?

Got a phone call from NV, After complaining to them while their server was down. Still no vin, this ISA is supposed to email me more details in this week. Let's see if that actually happens. I have a feeling they finally reached out to me since I complained, and 'remembered' I had an order. My entry was probably in the second page of his SalesForce screen and I felt like I was forgotten. Of course, he's not telling me any of that, candid excuse instead, just my random guess while looking at the delivery chart.

Well, good luck Tesla trying to deliver other 350k or so vehicles to other MB/BMW/Audi owners.
Just because the cars/Elon are awesome doesn't automatically make the model 3 delivery awesome. They have lots to work on. Customers not gonna like when they get ripped off on trade-ins at SC's, and they certainty not gonna like waiting and hearing nothing after 3500. I think it was a bad idea to 'outsource' DS's out-of-state with very little luxury CS experience.

BTW, I will be looking at my delivery with fine tooth comb when it happens. I'd be pointing out every single paint defect and scratches with LED flashlight. Not liking the process so far and Tesla's production ramp making me nervous.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Parebalo
BTW, I will be looking at my delivery with fine tooth comb when it happens. I'd be pointing out every single paint defect and scratches with LED flashlight. Not liking the process so far and Tesla's production ramp making me nervous.

Problem is they have 400,000 behind you and I’ll be afraid if you make a fuss they’ll tell you to go pound sand and move on.

I'm sure you will. If you contact Tesla I'm sure they will be VERY happy to give you your deposit back. Cancel now before the company goes bankrupt!

On my two previous Tesla deliveries (MS 2012, and MX 2016) the easiest part of the delivery process was paying. Just wrote a personal check. But not any more. I understand that things must be altered to accommodate the unwashed masses now lining up to buy a M3, but it is all very unclear. What I was told by my ISA is "24-48 hours before your delivery date, your Tesla account will reflect the final amount due. From there, you can pay the final amount with the press of a button." Hasn't happened yet. And what will the button do? In that I haven't been provided the cash payment due, I can't get a cashier's check to have with me. Because I'm traveling to Fremont, and have a Saturday delivery, this is creating a bit of a problem. Hopefully the magic button will appear later today.

EDIT: Guess I'll just estimate and get a cashier's check for that. Any small balance due can be put on my on-file credit card.

Last edited:
With that outlook, i am afraid you are going to have a miserable life
Why negative? Because I sense that Tesla is rushing, and they clearly don't have their act together. At least on their M3 call center and that gives me the impression other parts of M3 must be chaos too. And us fangirls/boys are somewhat patient since we went through on S and X. But not your colleague 328i owner who is used to buying entry luxury, and they might not be patient and forgiving like 'us' when it comes to waiting and quality. I'm hoping to communicate my frustration in somewhat constructive way to Tesla, so that they can be changed and ready when other 400k delivery hits.

Things like paint defects must be easy to miss when you're rushing. For example, I thought each model S and X are polished prior to paint so they get the smooth mirror surface, not sure if you get the same time-consuming treatment on M3's. Even our S wasn't perfect and partly repainted pre-delivery (ask me how I know!), I'm not holding my hopes up for M3's paint quality. I would rather be a jerk now, and nitpick at the delivery so that I won't notice it a couple months down the road and can't do anything about it.

Let's hope that textile headliner is only thing they downgraded in quality.

On my two previous Tesla deliveries (MS 2012, and MX 2016) the easiest part of the delivery process was paying. Just wrote a personal check. But not any more. I understand that things must be altered to accommodate the unwashed masses now lining up to buy a M3, but it is all very unclear. What I was told by my ISA is "24-48 hours before your delivery date, your Tesla account will reflect the final amount due. From there, you can pay the final amount with the press of a button." Hasn't happened yet. And what will the button do? In that I haven't been provided the cash payment due, I can't get a cashier's check to have with me. Because I'm traveling to Fremont, and have a Saturday delivery, this is creating a bit of a problem. Hopefully the magic button will appear later today.

EDIT: Guess I'll just estimate and get a cashier's check for that. Any small balance due can be put on my on-file credit card.

You need to request your final MVPA. That will have the balance needed to be paid via cashiers check.