Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled charging restricted to 16A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably not your issue but kinda in the same area. I read this in the manual:
"
Note: If Model 3 is charging and detects
unexpected fluctuations in input power,
the charging current is automatically
reduced by 25%. For example, a 40 amp
current is reduced to 30 amps. This
automatic current reduction increases
robustness and safety in situations when
an external problem exists (for example, a
home wiring system, receptacle, adapter
or cord is unable to meet its rated current
capacity). As a precaution, when Model 3
automatically reduces current, it saves the
reduced current at the charging location.
Although you can manually increase it,
Tesla recommends charging at the lower
current until the underlying problem is
resolved and the charging location can
provide consistent power."

how do you actually check the list of locations and charge rate limits that the car has stored?

That's a very useful bit of information.

My charger seems to fluctuate constantly by a few volts. It's not inconceivable it went out of bounds. I've probably seen it do this a couple of times the last month during normal charges as well.

I tried it last night and for a scheduled departure of 08:45 it charged in at least 2 blocks 3am and 5 am approx. Unusual?

Either way it seems utterly incompatible with Octopus Go so it’s a non starter for me anyway

Yes, it's quite obvious that the scheduled departure will not be useful for those on Octopus short peak rate period. The new feature assumes a set 6.00am finish to the peak rate period so tries to fit it in before then. Why you can't alter the peak rate start and stop times is beyond my comprehension.

Reactions: pow216 and Roy W.
Just got Octopus go, so set scheduled charging for cheap period last night on Zappi Mk2. Charged at 16A. B. In light of previous posts I have set a workround for tonight:

Leave Zappi set to boost charge 00:30 - 04:30
Set Teslafi to stop charging at 00:35
Set Teslafi to start charging at 11:40

I'll let you know how things go.

Just got Octopus go, so set scheduled charging for cheap period last night on Zappi Mk2. Charged at 16A. B. In light of previous posts I have set a workround for tonight:

Should of course have said: Set Teslafi to start chatging at 00:40

Do either of you have TeslaFi? tried doing this (start > stop > start ) automatically using a TeslaFi schedule ?

I’ll wait for the bug to be fixed (if that’s indeed what it is)

There have been enough reports of this that I wonder if it is a software bug ...
... alternatively the huge influx of M3 in UK might be generating significant numbers of "real" scenarios.

Similarly more "tripped the whole house" reports, where a single device being unplugged then fixed the problem - so very slight earth leakage or somesuch, exacerbated when car was charging. My M3 did that at a friend's house, ran an extension over to their neighbours and no problem there.

If it were me I would most definitely want to find-and-fix the culprit for fear that it might otherwise lead to a proper disaster.

I have not been following other country forums, is this a recurring problem in other parts of the world or just UK? Might be a software bug specific to UK specific conditions. I do't remember hearing of it on MS/MX ... but far few numbers of those cars of course

So, personally, I would most definitely not be forcing the charge higher in case there is a real issue in the house wiring. (well, I'm a software bod, so i would definitely first do the "Lets see if it will do it again" test ...)

I don't know how feasible it is in practice, but for overnight charging might be worth turning off all circuits that are not needed over night - so just leaving bedroom circuit - and seeing if that makes any difference ... if it stays at max AMPs then likely to be a fault on one of the isolated circuits.

Other threads here have said that it was necessary to physically unplug a turned-off device to isolate the [whole house tripping] problem, so devices just being OFF may not be sufficient.

Why you can't alter the peak rate start and stop times is beyond my comprehension.

Normal for Tesla. "Chuck it out there" software development policy. Seen this plenty of times over the last 4 years, within a month or two it is improved / fixed and then users have short memories / quick forgiveness. I think it is a crap way of doing development, but maybe there is some upside I haven't considered ... e.g. additional feedback from irate! users which is, also, taken into account

P.S. I wonder if worth gathering crowd-sourced data from people who have this problem.

Type of supply to house / supply fuse size, fuse board, details from TeslaFi (trial will do) of voltage drop etc. and the point at which AMPs drops and so on. Not sure what is required, but if this is a UK problem that data might help Tesla to diagnose and fix it.

Should of course have said: Set Teslafi to start chatging at 00:40

That worked fine last night. Teslafi failed to log the first 5 minute charging session, so I can't see if it was 16A or not, but the rest of the cheap rate period was at 32A until my 85% limit was reached. So I'll stick with that workround.

Might be worth hooking up a monitor on the whole house supply to see what, if anything, changes. Easy enough to monitor voltage, current, leakage current etc, with no need at all to break into any conductors; just a matter of connecting up a logger with three current transformers clipped over the incoming tails and CPC, and plugging it in to an outlet to both power it and provide a voltage reference.

Having hard data would probably allow some things to be ruled out pretty easily. I've a data logger that would do the job, but only have a couple of calibrated current transformers, but I could easily get another one and put together a box to do monitoring like this. Might be useful for other things, too.

Don't know if it will help, but might be worth scheduling a Wake Up 5 minutes before the Stop/Start - that might stop sleep and enable loggin

Good idea. Sequence for tonight will be:

Teslafi wake up: 0025
Zappi start boost: 0030
Teslafi stop charge: 0035
Teslafi start charge: 0040
Zappi stop boost: 0430

Maybe the Teslafi wake-up will be enough to let the Zappi ramp up to 32A when it comes on at 0030 - in which case the stop-start won't be needed. I'll let it run for a few nights and report back

Also the risk that TeslaFi uses a Deep Sleep setting, at that location, to put the car straight back to sleep.

Might be worth deliberately scheduling WakeUp just before each external/additional action?

Could wait-and-see, but that might unduly extend the night-after-night test elapsed duration ...

I haven't got deep sleep enabled on Teslafi, so shouldn't be a problem.........maybe

Reactions: WannabeOwner