Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled charging restricted to 16A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you not noticed the huge number of people on here waiting for cars and complaining about no response to emails from Tesla?

Tesla simply don't do email.

It would be better if at the outset Tesla let people know that unless it is very important not to expect an email from Tesla and certainly not to bother trying to communicate by email with Tesla.

It does seem strange for a Silicon Valley company to adopt such a policy.

I wonder whether some rather important final reminders from a shipping company were sent by email to Tesla. If true, any possible financial savings over the years will have been wiped out at a stroke by that little oversight.
I got some pretty fast replies to emails in September but they were pretty critical subject like "I'm not coming on that delivery date you offered me" in two days time. But sent a couple of less time critical ones in October and nothing

In Australia they do. I sent an email to [email protected] this morning about the 16A charging issue and they rang me today to say they are looking at it and will get back to me.

It looks like Tesla has fixed the issue remotely. Tonight I am getting 32A right from the start without doing anything. When I find out what they did, I will let you know.

My guess is there’s a sticky profile tied to that location reverting to 16A if charging starts when the car is asleep

That is possible, but the question is how or why. I had never used the wall connector until last week, and have never manually set it to 16A. I have dialled charging down to 16A, and even if I had, it doesnt explain why it thinks that is the max you can set it to.

Has anyone had this happening still on 2019.36.2.1? I used the Scheduled Departure feature last night and it appeared to work fine (and must have run at 32A due to SoC at start and time ready). This was intermittent before but will be interesting to see if this software update has made any difference at all or whether I should still book an SC appointment.

first scheduled charge tonight. woke up at 2am. checked it and it was running at 16-18 amps. went outside and pushed the amps higher on the mcu display. it then picked up and went to max.

not sure if this is an issue because it’s the first time i’m scheduled charging

i’m on 2.1

Happened two nights in a row now.
I wonder if last night was because I had the new software update pushed and it might have “reset” the charge rate.

Regardless, it seems insane that the software doesn’t just go up to the maximum allowable rate by default... I have a long daily commute, this can really cause me problems, especially in the winter.

Probably not your issue but kinda in the same area. I read this in the manual:
"
Note: If Model 3 is charging and detects
unexpected fluctuations in input power,
the charging current is automatically
reduced by 25%. For example, a 40 amp
current is reduced to 30 amps. This
automatic current reduction increases
robustness and safety in situations when
an external problem exists (for example, a
home wiring system, receptacle, adapter
or cord is unable to meet its rated current
capacity). As a precaution, when Model 3
automatically reduces current, it saves the
reduced current at the charging location.
Although you can manually increase it,
Tesla recommends charging at the lower
current until the underlying problem is
resolved and the charging location can
provide consistent power."

how do you actually check the list of locations and charge rate limits that the car has stored?

I find if you use the app to stop the charge, then restart it, with my car it then ramps straight up to 32A. Still a PITA in the middle of the night, but not as bad as going outside in the current weather!

Yep,

Yes, that is in line with my experience. Stopping the charge in the app and restarting it ramps it up to 32A.

Do either of you have TeslaFi? tried doing this (start > stop > start ) automatically using a TeslaFi schedule ?

I find if you use the app to stop the charge, then restart it, with my car it then ramps straight up to 32A. Still a PITA in the middle of the night, but not as bad as going outside in the current weather!
Yeh, ditto on that one. Had it a few times a few weeks ago, but not since. My take from the behaviour was that it was a bug - let's all watch it, but at the same time I think it's a fair presumption that the bug has been fixed now, and rolled out in one of the recent updates.

Reactions: Roy W.
Probably not your issue but kinda in the same area. I read this in the manual:
"
Note: If Model 3 is charging and detects
unexpected fluctuations in input power,
the charging current is automatically
reduced by 25%. For example, a 40 amp
current is reduced to 30 amps. This
automatic current reduction increases
robustness and safety in situations when
an external problem exists (for example, a
home wiring system, receptacle, adapter
or cord is unable to meet its rated current
capacity). As a precaution, when Model 3
automatically reduces current, it saves the
reduced current at the charging location.
Although you can manually increase it,
Tesla recommends charging at the lower
current until the underlying problem is
resolved and the charging location can
provide consistent power."

how do you actually check the list of locations and charge rate limits that the car has stored?

I'd be interested to know this, I got my car on Wednesday and it would only charge for a short while before tripping the breaker, the charger was wired into the garage consumer unit which was only 20 amps where it was wired in to the house consumer unit, this never caused an issue with my Leaf's as neither were capable of faster charging. I get to get an electrician out to wire the charger directly in to the house consumer unit.

Do either of you have TeslaFi? tried doing this (start > stop > start ) automatically using a TeslaFi schedule ?

I don’t feel the want or need to pay for TeslaFi and, quite frankly, resent the idea that I would need a third party app to achieve a result that is a fairly basic implementation in an electric car.
SURELY it’s not too much to ask to have the car charge at the preset rate at the preset time??

I’ll wait for the bug to be fixed (if that’s indeed what it is)

Reactions: Roy W.