Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled charging restricted to 16A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been monitoring my charges via Teslafi since I hadn't heard back from TM customer services about this (I have now, more on that later).

The first couple of charges I ran scheduled at 12.30am ran at 32A no problem. The last two nights the 16A issue has returned. I can't see why. There is no voltage drop off and no reason for this. TM have got back to me and advise booking in to a service centre. Anyway, thought I'd attach some geeky graphs and stats. Looks like it starts at 16A (doesn't drop during the charge) not 32A.

Previously I have switched to manual to get it back up to 32A, so will try that during a test scheduled charge tonight as that seems to remember it for a bit.

Will let you all know if I take it for a service and what they find.:confused:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-10-16 at 15.33.53.png
    Screenshot 2019-10-16 at 15.33.53.png
    301.1 KB · Views: 87
  • Screenshot 2019-10-16 at 15.33.45.png
    Screenshot 2019-10-16 at 15.33.45.png
    153.3 KB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot 2019-10-16 at 15.33.27.png
    Screenshot 2019-10-16 at 15.33.27.png
    147.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot 2019-10-16 at 15.33.19.png
    Screenshot 2019-10-16 at 15.33.19.png
    52.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot 2019-10-16 at 15.21.26.png
    Screenshot 2019-10-16 at 15.21.26.png
    448.1 KB · Views: 57
@S.Badge

Did you get anywhere with this with Telsa? I'm having the exact same problem as you may have seen from my posts. I'm also on eco7, so scheduling to charge when cheap rate kicks in. A colleague wondered if that's what might be causing the issue. Something happening when the meter switches to cheap rate causing the Amps to drop temporarily but at the time the car starts to charge. I'm going to try setting it to come on a good half hour after the cheap rate kicks in to rule this out. Will let you know.

I'm on a standard electricity tariff but have seen exactly the same behaviour. Charges at 32A when started normally but when scheduled it will sometimes run at 16A, evident in the morning by being partially charged. Given I'm on a fixed rate tariff there really isn't any point me scheduling anyway, I'm doing it purely to ease stress on the battery when doing a long drive the following day - i.e. keeping it at 100% for as little time as possible. In many respects, it would be better if I just charged at 16A for longer anyway, that's further helping the battery.

I'd like to see charge scheduling and charge rate built into the app, my old BMW 3series PHEV could do that years ago, but that is about the extent of what it did that was better. Oh, and the auto wipers....

I've just tried mine for a 2nd time, set a schedule for 14:00 - came straight on at 32A even though I had 257 miles of range left. Will monitor...

As someone elsenwiththise
I'm on a standard electricity tariff but have seen exactly the same behaviour. Charges at 32A when started normally but when scheduled it will sometimes run at 16A, evident in the morning by being partially charged. Given I'm on a fixed rate tariff there really isn't any point me scheduling anyway, I'm doing it purely to ease stress on the battery when doing a long drive the following day - i.e. keeping it at 100% for as little time as possible. In many respects, it would be better if I just charged at 16A for longer anyway, that's further helping the battery.

I'd like to see charge scheduling and charge rate built into the app, my old BMW 3series PHEV could do that years ago, but that is about the extent of what it did that was better. Oh, and the auto wipers....
Good to know, thanks! Must be a software bug then! Will book a service in the hope it gets escalated.

As someone elsenwiththise

Good to know, thanks! Must be a software bug then! Will book a service in the hope it gets escalated.
Yes, I think it must be a bug. Mine did it a few weeks ago. Yesterday it was in the service centre, and while it was there they did a software update.

Last night on charge it only charged at 16A :mad:

You’d think a software-oriented company like Tesla could get simple things like this right. Perhaps redeploy some of the fart-box programmers onto the charging team...

I have had this too. Am on a standard tariff, so it's not a huge deal, but annoying. I have found stopping the charge, waiting a minute or two and restarting will sometimes (usually) restart at 32A. EO smart EVSE/charger with fully professional installation, so it's unlikely to be the electricity supply. Seems just to be the mood the internal charger is in?

I have had this too. Am on a standard tariff, so it's not a huge deal, but annoying. I have found stopping the charge, waiting a minute or two and restarting will sometimes (usually) restart at 32A. EO smart EVSE/charger with fully professional installation, so it's unlikely to be the electricity supply. Seems just to be the mood the internal charger is in?
Yes, I also found that stopping the charge in the app and immediately restarting it ramps the current straight up to 32A.

After the 16A charge the night before last, I charged again last night - 32A! I’d changed nothing. This is very frustrating.

Are you all using the in-car scheduled charging, or something like teslafi?

I wonder if, when it starts a scheduled charge while sleeping, it is sticking to a low/safe-mode voltage, but then if you stop and start the charge it jumps to 32a because it's by then fully awake.

In teslafi you could start-stop-start a charge automatically, or schedule a wake command before the initial charge start command.

Use someone's referral code to get a month free and try it out.

Last edited:
Booked car in for a service to get this resolved. Received this txt today from Tesla.

"Our technicians have found that your car will only charge at 16A as standard as this is the way it has been designed. Thank you, Tesla Service"

I politely requested they recheck this statement.... (WTF!)

This must be a bug. I have now found that if i have the heater on drawing current I can set the scheduled charge at 32a. It resets to displaying 16a when i stop the heater but does then charge at 32a when the schedule charging starts. If I don't do this then it only charges at 16a and my battery is only half full in the morning which means I won't make it there n back. Annoying...

Booked car in for a service to get this resolved. Received this txt today from Tesla.

"Our technicians have found that your car will only charge at 16A as standard as this is the way it has been designed. Thank you, Tesla Service"

This must be a bug. I have now found that if i have the heater on drawing current I can set the scheduled charge at 32a. It resets to displaying 16a when i stop the heater but does then charge at 32a when the schedule charging starts. If I don't do this then it only charges at 16a and my battery is only half full in the morning which means I won't make it there n back. Annoying...

Wow! That is very disappointing. I have been texted to request a service too, so will let you know if I get anywhere. I have been using Teslafi for a week now and it looks like I'm getting 32A charges more often than not but obviously when I get the 16A ones it's when I most need the car to be fully charged in the morning! Sod's law. Interesting point about the heating. I wonder if it has anything to do with having the fan turned off or on - e.g when it's off, may be the car doesn't want to charge at 16A (although it sounds like you turned yours off after setting to 32A). Grasping at straws massively now! Cheers for all the replies, there is definitely something going on here.

Reactions: Roy W.

I was curious about you comment regarding the heater as I'm trying to find a pattern with the 16A current some charges, 32A most other times situation on scheduled charging! Today I drove to work and used their type 2 to test something out. It has always given me 32A, even when testing scheduled charging on it. Today I turned off my fan/ac/heating before getting out of the car and put it on scheduled charge. When it started to charge an hour later, it only charged at reduced current, this time 17A. I thought I'd nailed it and found that not have your ac on when leaving the car would reduce the charge current for some reason but when testing that out specifically, it charged OK at 32A (once I had stop started the charge however). I'm not 100% convinced this isn't something weird with the air con being on/off. Has anyone else noticed if this is a pattern for them? I'm loathed to book a service until I have more facts for TM and have tested thoroughly, as I don't want them to come back to me asking to do these kind of tests again. Anyway, still ongoing and grasping at straws as ever but I mostly get 32A charges, so it's not too bad overall but defo a bug!

Brain dump over! Cheers.

I realise that this is not necessarily what is being talked about (although may explain Teslas's 16A max answer), but to answer a future possible query, worth pointing out that 3 phase charging, ie as found on some destination chargers, max out at 16A (per phase) but still achieve the full 11kW rate on Model 3 because there are 3 phases.