Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

screen discoloration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think this yellow borders issue is related to heat at all.

I began to see those yellowish lines on my MS main screen early this year - though the temps outside weren't higher than 20°C (and my car is almost all the time in a garage, may it be at home or at work).

Agreed. I live up in the Northeast where temps rarely reach 90F. My 2017 S75D always goes from my garage, to a parking garage. On occasion, I'll take the car to the mall, etc. But I always look for a shady area to park it. Usually I never have to, considering that it's cloudy more often than it's sunny up here :)
I'm scheduled for my first MCU screen replacement later this week. In fact, it'll be my first Tesla service ever.

Had mine replaced in my Model X for the second time. First was Sep 2017 and they replaced just the screen, I guess (1087293-00-A). This week I'm guessing they replaced the whole MCU (1098010-00-D). Took a few days, since they said the firmware push to the MCU can be tricky and it failed a few times.

Just under 11k miles at the 1st replacement, just over 23k miles at the 2nd.

Had mine replaced in my Model X for the second time. First was Sep 2017 and they replaced just the screen, I guess (1087293-00-A). This week I'm guessing they replaced the whole MCU (1098010-00-D). Took a few days, since they said the firmware push to the MCU can be tricky and it failed a few times.

Just under 11k miles at the 1st replacement, just over 23k miles at the 2nd.
Is the new MCU a MCU2, or just the old model?

Feel any diff in terms of responsiveness?

Thanks

Is the new MCU a MCU2, or just the old model?

Feel any diff in terms of responsiveness?

Thanks
It's the old MCU hardware. I asked if I could pay the difference to just have the hardware swapped to MCU2, but was told it wasn't available. Performance seems the same, which was improved a few updates ago.

When it fails again, I'll see if an MCU2 upgrade is a possibility, but it sounds like even MCU2 owners have had the yellow screen issue.

I don't think this yellow borders issue is related to heat at all.

I began to see those yellowish lines on my MS main screen early this year - though the temps outside weren't higher than 20°C (and my car is almost all the time in a garage, may it be at home or at work).
I agree. I've had my screen replaced twice now. While is does get hot here, I have cabin overheat protection enabled and my car is garaged at home and usually in covered parking when I'm out.

I just got this on my on model s. Picked up December 2016.
The issue seems to also be with the newer cars. My buddy and I both got a loaner this week. They were brand new model s 75d manufactured in April 2018. Both loaner cars already have the yellow banding around the screen.

Fortunately still under warranty...I'm just kinda curious if other people are getting anything similar.

I have it too.. .Been waiting 2 months for a replacement.. but know Tesla they probably forgot to order it again or they already received it but their customer service is so poor that I have to call them to find out even though they said they would call me as soon as it arrived.

It's hard to imagine they just keep replacing screen after screen rather than simply get screens as they had prior to the Facelift/late 2016 which don't have the fault.
That kind of approach is something that really bothers me about Tesla.

The problem with the prior screens was that the glue leaked and caused bubbles around the edges as well as gooy stuff leaking into the dash.

Hopefully the MCU2 screens resolve both problems, but they are a different resolution so probably not a direct replacement.