Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling X back to Tesla - instead of taking delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New to this website - but it seems like the best source of information out there. We've been on the waitlist for what seems like an eternity, and our X is finally ready. However, we're now having second thoughts and not sure we need the X at this time. That said, the Tesla rep offered us $7k for our model. Has anyone heard of this? If so, how much did Tesla offer you? It seems like the way to go, but not sure if there are other options we should consider (private sale?). What would you do? Thank you in advance for your advice & input.

$7k (to sign the car over to Tesla; for them to resell) in addition to our $5k deposit we put down. When I told the sales manager I wasn't sure I wanted it, I was told "we had options." From what I understand, the trim & color we chose is a popular one, so they'd have no problem reselling the car to someone down the list (willing to pay more?). Maybe that's how they're able to incentivize it?

Yes tell me more Kwilson....... l am in the exact same position as you. My X90D has completed production and l have since changed my mind. l had put down the $2500 deposit and was sure l was going to lose it should l cancel. Reading your story, I'm super interested to see how this is going to work :)

good luck

How are they going to make the $7k back? They already got their hands slapped for selling cars under "MSRP" are they going to give the other direction a try? If it gets registered by the buyer and then Tesla buys it back, can they sell as CPO for whatever they want without breaking any internal rules/regulations? Of course, the buyer would have to pay any sales taxes.

Last edited:
Wish I was offered the same deal became I'd snap their hand off!
I placed my $5k reservation in Jan 2015 for a RHD 90DX, delivery coming in March but since October 2016 I did make it clear that the 100D would be the model I would want.
Not one out of my 5 DS have bothered to liaise with me so basically I've just had enough.
£85k into my pension pot sounds a better option

Seems bogus to me.

Either a miscommunication or a customer willing to pay for your optionsto jump the line. The later being a huge stretch of the imagination.

No one pays you not to buy a Tesla.

Why would they when there are others waiting and you are in a contract.

$7k (to sign the car over to Tesla; for them to resell) in addition to our $5k deposit we put down. When I told the sales manager I wasn't sure I wanted it, I was told "we had options." From what I understand, the trim & color we chose is a popular one, so they'd have no problem reselling the car to someone down the list (willing to pay more?). Maybe that's how they're able to incentivize it?
Wow, first I heard of this. If you are having doubts about the order in the first place, then getting $7k extra back sounds like a no brainer.

However, as others point out, make sure to clarify your understanding is correct first and get everything in writing. You don't want to end up in a situation where you end up taking delivery and then it ends up a different situation than what you interpreted.