Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service and communication (out of main)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla sells to people who live further than 30 miles away. The consequences are on TESLA. From an investment point of view, Tesla has to provide service, period.

True, but as long as the car is driveable the warranty states it is your responsibility to get it to the service center regardless of the distance. So some of the consequences are on the purchaser of the car as well.

I think the anecdotal negative service stories will continue to increase. Any defects or issue in the Tesla system is blown out of proportion. It's the same for fires and AP. With 500k cars a year, even if 0.1% have service issues, that's 500 people coming here to complain. Imagine 500 people a year coming on TMC to complain about service issues.

Not saying Tesla doesn't have a service or communication issue. I just notice every negative aspect of Tesla is blown up.

• Funny
Reactions: jeffro01
I think the anecdotal negative service stories will continue to increase. Any defects or issue in the Tesla system is blown out of proportion. It's the same for fires and AP. With 500k cars a year, even if 0.1% have service issues, that's 500 people coming here to complain. Imagine 500 people a year coming on TMC to complain about service issues.

Not saying Tesla doesn't have a service or communication issue. I just notice every negative aspect of Tesla is blown up.

The attempts to do more representative polls are showing that serious service issues are waaaaay more than 0.1% -- it's looking like 20% or more. It's BAD. Do NOT underestimate it.

The issues are almost 100% communications. Once you get a repair person, all is well. But the communications are maddening. I completely blame management -- it's entirely the fault of management, not of the workers.

The attempts to do more representative polls are showing that serious service issues are waaaaay more than 0.1% -- it's looking like 20% or more. It's BAD. Do NOT underestimate it.

The issues are almost 100% communications. Once you get a repair person, all is well. But the communications are maddening. I completely blame management -- it's entirely the fault of management, not of the workers.
20% of what? Are you claiming that 20% of Tesla vehicles are having issues? Where is this information coming from? Or are you saying that 20% of people that need service are having communication issues with Tesla. You then need to know how many Tesla vehicles need service.

I have had 1 issue this year with 2 cars. Our S had a door handle problem. I created a service request online and they sent out a service vehicle and fixed it in my driveway. Super easy, peasy. I had one other issue in the past, but it was before 3s launched so it was another time. It really was the best service I ever had with any vehicle I ever had.

Reactions: DurandalAI
True, but as long as the car is driveable the warranty states it is your responsibility to get it to the service center regardless of the distance. So some of the consequences are on the purchaser of the car as well.

I don't have a problem with calling up Rochester (Henrietta), explaining my issues, setting up an appointment, and then going there.

It took me 30 minutes, and phoning roadside assistance to actually get an "appointment". This appointment is only a placeholder because nobody at the service center has talked to me to figure out what parts they need or whatever. The service center doesn't have an published phone number.

This is nutbar. This is a deeply inefficient and expensive process, compared to how any normal repair shop works.

Earnings call made it crystal clear that management doesn't even realize that they have a service communications problem. Asked about service they talked about
-- making the car more reliable (fine, whatever)
-- doing collision repair in house (great, if you can get them on the phone)
-- better parts distribution (fine, whatever, helps if you can get an appointment)
-- opening new service centers (great, if you can get them on the phone)
-- adding mobile service (great, if you can get them on the phone)

They do not recognize the major problem. This is going to hurt the company bad, bad, bad, bad.

I'm going to try to help Tesla out. I've demanded a call back from the boss of the Las Vegas call center to let him know that it's impossible to reach his department through the phone tree, and it can only be reached by calling Roadside Assistance and getting transferred.

Anyone who can get through the "wall of silence" around the executive suite should do so. This is life-threatening for the company. Nobody wants to be caught in a catch-22 of phone tree hell. People are actually deciding to get rid of their Teslas and buy ICE cars in order to avoid dealing with the communications problems.

I fear so.
Maybe @bonnie could telle her contacts inside Tesla that we are hearing a lot of horror stories about communications.
Agreed. I tried to get ahold of service today. The phone said to use the chat on tesla.com/service but there is no chat button or way to start a chat session.

Earnings call made it crystal clear that management doesn't even realize that they have a service communications problem. Asked about service they talked about
-- better parts distribution (fine, whatever, helps if you can get an appointment)

They do not recognize the major problem. This is going to hurt the company bad, bad, bad, bad.

I'm going to try to help Tesla out. I've demanded a call back from the boss of the Las Vegas call center to let him know that it's impossible to reach his department through the phone tree, and it can only be reached by calling Roadside Assistance and getting transferred.

Anyone who can get through the "wall of silence" around the executive suite should do so. This is life-threatening for the company. Nobody wants to be caught in a catch-22 of phone tree hell. People are actually deciding to get rid of their Teslas and buy ICE cars in order to avoid dealing with the communications problems.

What’s weird is how inconsistent it is. I’ve had >2 hour hold times waiting for the general service line, but also just this last week a 15 minute hold time. And then there’s the chat service that alternates between existing and not seemingly at random.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Fiddler and neroden
"I think there's a communications issue"
-- Elon Musk, 7:12pm ET, Wednesday July 24, 2019

The first step to fixing a problem is recognizing there is a problem :)

Unfortunately he wasn't talking about service communications with customers. (Though maybe if they ask people why they aren't planning to buy another Model S, they'll back their way into finding out about the service problems?!?)

Reactions: Fiddler

Have you tried emailing Elon directly and spelling out your concerns? I’m sure he doesn’t read his inbox himself, but hopefully with the way you write and the details you would give, the screener would forward it to him.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mader Levap
Tesla sells to people who live further than 30 miles away. The consequences are on TESLA. From an investment point of view, Tesla has to provide service, period.

Nope, it's up to the customer to figure out if it's worth it to them or not because anyone would sell you anything. Many people import rare exotics and go through the trouble fully knowing not one person in the U.S would service those cars.

Personally many people would not buy a car with a service center 4hrs away. That's insane and it's only for true die-hards.

Anybody done any estimation on how much they need to sell to reach breakeven? is 10k/week enough?
Yes. In fact, 10K/week has been the number I've been using for breakeven since 2008.

As long as Tesla management gets their heads out of their asses about the service communications problems (currently their heads are DEEP in their asses), they'll be golden at 10K/week.

I'm worried they're in too much of a bubble and will never realize what's destroying their (our) company, namely service communications disasters. This is my ONLY concern as an investor.

Reactions: Mader Levap
Hey Elon just said, service centers are key to sales because no one wants to drive 4 hrs to a service center.

So yeah, your experience sucks because it's designed to suck and you should know this prior to purchasing.

Dude, tell that to the people buying from Dublin location. And it's probably 30 minutes away at most from about 99.9% of the buyers' residences.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden