Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a level 2 charger in my house, but I want the ability to charge at a faster rate than 44 miles per hour, should the need arise. I also have more CCS2 chargers in my rural area, so if I do go to cities nearby, I'm more likely to have CCS chargers over Superchargers.
You say "should the need arise." Has it actually arisen? How often?
One of the surprising things I learned when I put in 120v 20a charging (slightly faster level 1) is that I figured that "the need would arise" moderately often. In fact, it only did once in 2 years with level 1, and it has never with level 2.

Of course, if you have a long commute, level 1 will not cut it. But for the average driver, who averages 35 miles/day while the level 1 restores 50 miles/day, it is surprising how much the need does not arise.

However, for me, that just meant a visit to the supercharger 1/2 mile from my house the time I needed it, a luxury you don't have. So the adapter is nice, particularly as it will probably be about $200 plus card upgrade for some of us.

You say "should the need arise." Has it actually arisen? How often?
One of the surprising things I learned when I put in 120v 20a charging (slightly faster level 1) is that I figured that "the need would arise" moderately often. In fact, it only did once in 2 years with level 1, and it has never with level 2.

Of course, if you have a long commute, level 1 will not cut it. But for the average driver, who averages 35 miles/day while the level 1 restores 50 miles/day, it is surprising how much the need does not arise.

However, for me, that just meant a visit to the supercharger 1/2 mile from my house the time I needed it, a luxury you don't have. So the adapter is nice, particularly as it will probably be about $200 plus card upgrade for some of us.
Price isn't a concern for my piece of mind... that's my viewpoint. It's why I have also bought solar panels for my home, a 2k watt (new LFP style) battery generator for portable energy backup in both my home and for my Model 3 on road trips. (couldn't get a powerwall since my panels aren't Tesla's).
I'm over 50, and I'm the type of person that hates inconvenience. A first world problem, to be sure, but it's just how I am.
Again, this is just my personal viewpoints and the way I am. Most people could easily do without buying the adapter.

Reactions: jsight and JonB65
I have a level 2 charger in my house, but I want the ability to charge at a faster rate than 44 miles per hour, should the need arise. I also have more CCS2 chargers in my rural area, so if I do go to cities nearby, I'm more likely to have CCS chargers over Superchargers.
Wait a minute. If you leave your house every morning with a full charge, why would you ever want a DC fast charger that was a mile away from your house?

Wait a minute. If you leave your house every morning with a full charge, why would you ever want a DC fast charger that was a mile away from your house?
Who said I leave my house every morning with a full charge? Who said, I haven't been out and about, doing errands, but now I need to drive 200 miles due to a family emergency? There is a difference between charging at 44 miles in an hour with my NEMA 14-50 outlet and charging at 200 miles (or more) in an hour. You need to realize, that not everyone charges like you do and not every situation is the same.

I try to have a plan for any contingency. Maybe it's the military life I had? As Richard Marchenko would say, "Proper planning prevents piss poor performance."

Plenty of reasons I’ve been to the nearby EA. I have L2 at my house too.

-forgot to charge last night and realized what I have is not enough to where I’m going. Silly me, that’s ok, 15 minutes at EA is enough.

-running a bunch of errands and ran the battery down only to realize I have to drive far in two hours. L2 isn’t enough.

-visiting friend has a Tesla and stopped by almost drained. My house’s L2 isn’t enough to get him home after two hours. Superchargers aren’t anywhere close to where I live. So off to EA (a block away) with the Chademo adapter we go! As careful about electricity as we all want to be, everyone forgets sometimes.

-Some days (like yesterday) EA is FREE all day charging. Topped off to 90% and ready for tomorrow! I’d rather get free electricity than push myself into the next electric Tier at home. Electricity isn’t cheap where I live. Sure, it’s cheaper than gas but still…..

Last edited:
Reactions: FMinMI and LBM4
Who said I leave my house every morning with a full charge? Who said, I haven't been out and about, doing errands, but now I need to drive 200 miles due to a family emergency? There is a difference between charging at 44 miles in an hour with my NEMA 14-50 outlet and charging at 200 miles (or more) in an hour. You need to realize, that not everyone charges like you do and not every situation is the same.

I try to have a plan for any contingency. Maybe it's the military life I had? As Richard Marchenko would say, "Proper planning prevents piss poor performance."
While not discounting the desire to handle rare contingencies, in many locations, any surprise trip of 200 miles passes other superchargers. There is no need to use the one near your house. In fact, it's slower to use it if in a hurry, because charging is far faster if you do it when empty than when full.

This is why I never visit the supercharger by my house, even when I was on Level 1. Any pair of days with a large amount of driving presented better chances to supercharge further away.

Now it's true that here, there are superchargers in almost every direction -- lots of them -- but that's not true everywhere.

I bought the adapter strictly for road trips, and would not use it locally. But I can see the desire for that happening rarely.

-forgot to charge last night and realized what I have is not enough to where I’m going. Silly me, that’s ok, 15 minutes at EA is enough.

-running a bunch of errands and ran the battery down only to realize I have to drive far in two hours. L2 isn’t enough.

-visiting friend has a Tesla and stopped by almost drained. My house’s L2 isn’t enough to get him home after two hours. Superchargers aren’t anywhere close to where I live. So off to EA (a block away) with the Chademo adapter we go!

-Some days (like yesterday) EA is FREE all day charging. Topped off to 90% and ready for tomorrow! I’d rather get free electricity than push myself into the next electric Tier at home. Electricity isn’t cheap where I live. Sure, it’s cheaper than gas but still…..
Thank you. Perfect examples. Couldn't have said it better myself.

I think we can agree on the following:
  • In US/Canada, CCS and Tesla Superchargers are becoming the dominant options for Level 3 charging; there is no future for CHAdeMO
  • CCS adapters create new opportunities for Level 3 charging and therefore is better than being solely dependent on Superchargers or Level 2 charging
  • Tesla‘s typical poor communication is frustrating, especially knowing that:
    • Recent vehicles are CCS-capable
    • The CCS adapter is a relatively simple device
    • Tesla sells an inexpensive CCS adapter in S Korea

Reactions: EV3_ and StealthP3D

-visiting friend has a Tesla and stopped by almost drained. My house’s L2 isn’t enough to get him home after two hours. Superchargers aren’t anywhere close to where I live. So off to EA (a block away) with the Chademo adapter we go! As careful about electricity as we all want to be, everyone forgets sometimes.

I see. Basically, all involve incompetence. I get it. Humans make mistakes and you want a Supercharger there to save the day. Nothing wrong with that but I can say that after 4 years with two Tesla, the nearest Supercharger (which is 18 miles away) has never saved the day. For either of us. And having plenty of experience with EV's I can confidently say I don't ever expect it to save the day. The Superchargers we are glad exist are all 100-200 miles away!

BTW, @LBM4 , you can't charge at 44 miles/hour on a NEMA 14-50. You need a Wall Connector or other hard-wired charge solution capable of charging at 48 amps to charge the most efficient Tesla (Model 3) at 44 miles/hour. It requires a 60 amp circuit (which is the way to go, IMO).

There is always the SETEC adaptor.
I know it's hard to tell but isn't that what this whole thread is supposed to be about. All this other chatter about the Tesla adapter really belongs here:

Last edited:
Reactions: Tz00 and StealthP3D
I dont.. and I'm not holding my breath for Tesla to offer the upgraded hardware needed :/

Sorry, that's a bit of a bummer.

It looks like it's possible, but a project to add CCS compatibility:

I would have hoped that Tesla would have been shipping the CCS1 adapter in the states, then working on a way to upgrade existing cars.

It could be some time before we see a way to upgrade non CCS cars to add CCS support in the states.

then working on a way to upgrade existing cars.
Well they had a retrofit listed in the parts catalog, but it seems that they have taken it out, or hid it.

1650779543225.png