Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Did us old S/X owners get nerfed? Since 2021.12.25.7 I have not been able to get more than 125A on stations that I used to be able to get 200A on.
I think a lot of us got "nerfed". I was on 2021.4.18.3 the last time I used a 150kW EA charger, and at that time I pulled 76 kW @ 198A. Now that I'm on 2021.12.25.7, as in your case, I got 47 kW @ 123A. My car is a 2019 S Long Range. On this effort after the firmware update, I used the same charger that I'd used in the higher-power instance. Appears Tesla has "worked their magic" once again.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
If this ends up being true, I would truly rethink recommending the Setec adapter. Would also wonder IF Tesla ever releases their adapter if it will exceed 125a (US spec vehicles)
We know for sure that the CCS2 to Tesla adapter in Europe has a higher amp limit because S/X vehicles there can charge up above 140 kW (I believe that was the latest power I had seen, but it may be higher now). I can't see any reason why a North American version would be limited below that.

Per SaabStory88's initial posting and mine after it: here are my TeslaFi charging plots for a portion of the charging with each firmware version. The charge was stopped at nominally the same SoC, temperatures were essentially the same and the battery received the same conditioning (14-mile drive) to the charger. I used the same EA CCS1 charger in both cases. With the 2021.12.25.7, I also tried another charger, with the same results.

The summary box is the point at which I stopped the charging. The right-hand ordinate is slightly different between the two plots...both the span and its use for the higher-current charging.

Attachments

• AdapterWith_2021.4.18.3.jpg
    AdapterWith_2021.4.18.3.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 89
  • AdapterWith_2021.12.25.7.jpg
    AdapterWith_2021.12.25.7.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 55
We know for sure that the CCS2 to Tesla adapter in Europe has a higher amp limit because S/X vehicles there can charge up above 140 kW (I believe that was the latest power I had seen, but it may be higher now). I can't see any reason why a North American version would be limited below that.
The two adapters work in very different ways. As I understand it, the European CCS2 adapter is a simple pass-through device, similar to the J1772 adapter in North America. The CCS protocols are handled in the car, which is why older S/X vehicles require a hardware upgrade in the car to work with the adapter -- the upgrade installs a new board that can "talk" CCS, since older S/X vehicles lack that ability.

The Setec CCS1 adapter, OTOH, "translates" from CCS to whatever the Tesla uses with its CHAdeMO adapter. This means that the Setec unit is limited to whatever Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter implementation can handle, which is 125A. (Apparently, until recently the S/X relied on the CHAdeMO adapter itself to impose the 125A limit, but the 3/Y included a redundant 125A limit. This enabled the Setec unit to work at up to 200A with older S/X vehicles. If recent posts here are any indication, that redundant 125A limit has now been added to the older S/X, too.)

There are reports that Setec has an experimental version of its firmware that "talks" using a reverse-engineered Supercharger protocol to the Tesla, rather than Tesla's CHAdeMO-adapter protocol. Using this firmware, the 125A limit is lifted, enabling 200A power transfer -- the physical design limit of the adapter. Unfortunately, there are at least two reports of Teslas that have suffered failures of their charging hardware after using Setec adapters with this experimental firmware, so it seems like it may be quite dangerous to the car. With any luck, this problem will be resolved soon, but I've seen very little on this branch of the firmware, except that it's dangerous. I'm not counting on it ever being released. If spoofing a Supercharger runs the risk of physically damaging the car, then testing will be slow and expensive -- maybe too much so for Setec to want to pursue it, especially since they are based in China, where Teslas have different connectors, so they're relying on Korean and North American customers to be beta testers. Its those customers who would have to risk their personal vehicles beta-testing such firmware.

I don't know how Tesla's own CCS1 adapter will work, assuming it ever materializes. If it's similar to the CCS2 adapter, then it might work at even higher speeds than the 80kW max of the Setec CCS1 adapter, while being smaller and simpler. This design would require that any Tesla with which it works be able to understand the CCS protocols, though, and I don't know if North American Teslas are so equipped. If not, then the adapter would require you to take your car to a Tesla service center for a hardware update, just like older S/X owners must do to use the CCS2 adapter in Europe. Given that older European S/X vehicles require this upgrade, I'd be surprised if North American S/X vehicles of similar vintage did not. For 3/Y, as well as for Plaid S/X, I don't know what would be likely. I've seen people claim that an upgrade would definitely be required for these cars, but the claims I've seen have never been accompanied by any references or documentation, so I take them with a grain of salt. It seems to make sense for Tesla to design one circuit board to control the charging in all markets, for economies of scale and to simplify assembly processes; but maybe it's cheaper to install market-specific parts.

There is a lot of information here but it seams that the last update cam at the end of last year. Is there anyone here to got it to work, where can I buy one and give it a try. In my area there is an BMW dealership that has about 20 charging stations with probably 12 different charging systems that accept CCS, the whole section of that parking lot looks like it's experimental but it's open to public and FREE for anyone to charge. I only see BMWs and few others charging there and not a single Tesla. I would love to try if any of those 12 different stations would accept CCS adapter and charge my Model X but I'm not ready to spend $600 on something that doesn't work and is pain in the ass to return. Is there a used one that someone likes to sell for a fraction of a price and/or to borrow it to me for a week. Let me know Thanks. Adam

Well, at least I bought the adapter through Amazon, and saved the packaging. I'm going to try to get confirmation through service that this change was intentional, then ship it back if it's the case.

Can you please share link of it from Amazon as I really can't find any CCS adapters there.
Amazon says it's currently unavailable....here's the link.

It annoys me that Tesla reduced the speed in their firmware, but I'll keep it simply to have another means of DC charging, even if far slower than a Supercharger. It's still a better option for me than a destination charger, and there seem to be more CCS1 locations being constructed than ChAdeMO. The one I used in Marlborough has 4 chargers, 7 CCS1 cables and 1 CHAdeMO.

Amazon says it's currently unavailable....here's the link.

It annoys me that Tesla reduced the speed in their firmware, but I'll keep it simply to have another means of DC charging, even if far slower than a Supercharger. It's still a better option for me than a destination charger, and there seem to be more CCS1 locations being constructed than ChAdeMO. The one I used in Marlborough has 4 chargers, 7 CCS1 cables and 1 CHAdeMO.
Yea I see it's sold out, you want to sell yours's

There is a lot of information here but it seams that the last update cam at the end of last year.
I'm not sure to what update you're referring. This thread has seen activity on a weekly, and often daily, basis. The Setec firmware updates page shows the latest public firmware release being V150 on April 20. (I received a non-public update to V157 a while ago for testing with a problematic station; see my post earlier in this thread.) Tesla's firmware, of course, has been updated multiple times since 2020; my own Model 3 has been updated 8 times this year.
Is there anyone here to got it to work, where can I buy one and give it a try. In my area there is an BMW dealership that has about 20 charging stations with probably 12 different charging systems that accept CCS, the whole section of that parking lot looks like it's experimental but it's open to public and FREE for anyone to charge. I only see BMWs and few others charging there and not a single Tesla. I would love to try if any of those 12 different stations would accept CCS adapter and charge my Model X but I'm not ready to spend $600 on something that doesn't work and is pain in the ass to return. Is there a used one that someone likes to sell for a fraction of a price and/or to borrow it to me for a week. Let me know Thanks. Adam
Can you find the station on PlugShare? If so, you might look for Tesla check-ins at that site -- but as Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter is far more common than Setec's CCS adapter, odds are any Tesla check-ins would use the CHAdeMO adapter, assuming that the BMW dealership's fast chargers support both protocols. (They might or might not.) Failing that, you could go there and look for a plaque on the chargers that provide a manufacturer name and other specifications. Take a photo of it and post it here. With any luck somebody will recognize the brand and model and be able to report on whether it's worked. That wouldn't be a 100% guarantee, though, since there might be firmware differences in the fast charger itself, as well as in the Setec adapter. Note also that the Setec adapter can be bought slightly more cheaply ($564) from Lectron than from Amazon.

The two adapters work in very different ways. As I understand it, the European CCS2 adapter is a simple pass-through device, similar to the J1772 adapter in North America. The CCS protocols are handled in the car, which is why older S/X vehicles require a hardware upgrade in the car to work with the adapter -- the upgrade installs a new board that can "talk" CCS, since older S/X vehicles lack that ability.

I don't know how Tesla's own CCS1 adapter will work, assuming it ever materializes. If it's similar to the CCS2 adapter, then it might work at even higher speeds than the 80kW max of the Setec CCS1 adapter, while being smaller and simpler. This design would require that any Tesla with which it works be able to understand the CCS protocols, though, and I don't know if North American Teslas are so equipped. If not, then the adapter would require you to take your car to a Tesla service center for a hardware update, just like older S/X owners must do to use the CCS2 adapter in Europe. Given that older European S/X vehicles require this upgrade, I'd be surprised if North American S/X vehicles of similar vintage did not. For 3/Y, as well as for Plaid S/X, I don't know what would be likely. I've seen people claim that an upgrade would definitely be required for these cars, but the claims I've seen have never been accompanied by any references or documentation, so I take them with a grain of salt. It seems to make sense for Tesla to design one circuit board to control the charging in all markets, for economies of scale and to simplify assembly processes; but maybe it's cheaper to install market-specific parts.
Yes, I'm aware of how the Setec adapter spoofs the CHAdeMO signals for the car, but the post I was replying to and the subject on which I was commenting wasn't the Setec adapter. It was about a potential TESLA supplied CCS adapter. Boeingpilot was wondering whether a hypothetical adapter released BY TESLA in the future would also be limited to the same 125A, since Tesla have apparently just updated their vehicle software in a way that nerfed the Setec adapter on older S/X vehicles that previously could access higher current limits. And my point was that the currently available adapter that Tesla has released for the European market doesn't have this limitation, so there's no reason to expect it would be a limitation if Tesla ever gets around to making the CCS adapter they are planning to release in South Korea available for the North American market.

The pictures I've seen of the adapter Tesla plans to release in the Korean market seem very much like the one they offer in the European market. So, I'm also expecting it to be just a dumb, pass-through adapter with the necessary smarts being on the vehicle side of things (i.e. charge port controller and PCS mods). When or whether Tesla has already switched Korean/North American vehicle manufacture lines to support future use of such an adapter obviously remains to be seen, but they didn't do so in Europe until the adapter for that market was already available even though they obviously knew they were going to be releasing such an adapter well before that point. But they may not follow the same strategy this time.