Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What makes sense depends on your model, it does look like the Tesla CCS is the better option, however if you have any of the following conditions its a grey area:

1. Your model does not have the CCS chip (like my 2020 Model 3) in which case the kit and its installation may bump the cost higher than the Setec
2. Your area's DC Fast chargers has 50kw or less as the max charge rate (which is the case in BC, Canada) which means the extra speed would not help anyways

As with all things you need to look at your situation and decide, I still see the Setec adapter as useful for people without the CCS chip installed, but again it all depends on your situation.

1. Your model does not have the CCS chip (like my 2020 Model 3) in which case the kit and its installation may bump the cost higher than the Setec
Related:

If the Tesla doesn’t support CC charging, I recommend the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter (slightly) over the Setec CCS, having lots of experience using all three adapters.

-The Setec CCS has a separate internal battery, which basically means it has to be charged before use. While you can get around this with a 12V line, or an attached USB phone battery charger, or regularly charging this battery, it’s another inconvenience to remember to account for.

-The Setec CCS needs regular firmware updates. You can get into a situation where the car updated and locked the adapter out, but Setec has not yet released a firmware to make it work again.

-The Setec CCS puts a warning on the screen of the car while charging, because it is possible to unplug the charging handle from the adapter while the car is charging, which….is very dangerous.

-there is no charging speed advantage of Setec CCS over Tesla CHAdeMO. Both top out at somewhere around 47-48 kW.

-it is true that Electrify America is moving away from CHAdeMO, but they are just ONE DCFC company among the tens of others that still have CHAdeMO handles on every cabinet. Currently, EA still has that one CHAd handle at 99% of their stations.

-Harumio sells Tesla CHAd adapters.

-Lastly, yes, the Tesla CHAd adapter is much larger, bulky and unwieldy, but comparing the two adapters, there isn’t many places one can be stored and the other can’t. Most will be stored in the frunk or the trunk under storage.

-it is true that Electrify America is moving away from CHAdeMO, but they are just ONE DCFC company among the tens of others that still have CHAdeMO handles. And currently, EA still has that one CHAd handle at each station.

-Lastly, yes, the Tesla CHAd adapter is much larger, bulky and unwieldy, but comparing the two adapters, there isn’t many places one can be stored and the other can’t. Most will be stored in the frunk or the trunk under storage.
These two reasons would be enough for me to favor the Setec, if I couldn't use the passive one. The chademo adapter is so clumsy that it can be really hard to plug in sometimes.

And I've been to stations that were the only CCS/chademo station for an area, only to find that the chademo was broken. The other ccs units were fine, though.

I mean, its close since the setec is third party and not without issues, but I think there are a few significant benefits. I'm glad that I've got the passive CCS adapter, though. Its really handy occasionally and really makes a great backup.

The chademo adapter is so clumsy that it can be really hard to plug in sometimes.

And I've been to stations that were the only CCS/chademo station for an area, only to find that the chademo was broken. The other ccs units were fine, though.

I agree with the first part, CHAd seems like an early attempt at a DCFC standard and is huge and overweight.

For the second, I’ve seen the opposite at some stations where the CCS handles were broken (latches) but the CHAd was fine. So this one can work both ways.

I guess: cary both Setec AND Tesla CHAd?

Reactions: jsight
I agree with the first part, CHAd seems like an early attempt at a DCFC standard and is huge and overweight.

For the second, I’ve seen the opposite at some stations where the CCS handles were broken (latches) but the CHAd was fine. So this one can work both ways.

Fair counterpoint, tbh. I haven't seen that locally, but I'm sure this varies regionally. I guess some areas even still have a few stations that are chademo only.

Yes - that's my approach - at least until the dust settles and there's

1. a common connector across all EVs
2. EV charging stations with the same frequency as gas stations across the US.

I do road trips often to remote areas and regularly plan my steps with all the tools I can find - having more adapters brings a ton of peace of mind in case something goes wrong at some remote destinations, where superchargers can be few and far between - this is especially true in National Parks.

Reactions: SteelClouds
The Harumio adapter has been really easy to purchase though, and the price isn't too bad. I don't understand Tesla's unwillingness to sell it here in the US, but then I don't really understand their CEO either so I'm not too surprised. The Setec adapter was fine while it was the only option - but honestly if an owner's Tesla supports it, the official adapter is by far the superior option - (much) faster potential speeds, lighter, safer and no dependence on an internal processor/battery.
This is purely speculative, but my suspicion is that Tesla hasn't released their CCS adapter in North America because of supply chain problems.

The adapter itself must be manufactured, and if I understand correctly, Tesla has outsourced this task to a third party in Taiwan. They may be having problems keeping up with demand, even with (officially) only Korean sales -- of course, some percentage of those Korean sales are actually coming to North America. Tesla must be aware of this fact, but if manufacturing capacity is beneath what it needs to be, opening sales in the much larger North American market could prove problematic. Long-time Tesla owners know that, even pre-pandemic, the company had a hard time keeping certain items (like the CHAdeMO adapter) in stock in their store. I have little confidence that they'd do any better with the new CCS adapter, once it's released in North America.

The other factor is that not all Teslas support CCS. The thread on retrofitting this support into older Model 3s presents some evidence that Tesla is planning a retrofit for older cars. (In particular, listings for retrofit kits have appeared in Tesla's catalog, but they aren't currently order-able.) These retrofit kits, however, will require something very similar to the current "Gen4 charge port ECU," and we know that Tesla has been having problems getting the chip that's needed for CCS compatibility for those, since there have been at least two periods after the release of the Gen4 ECU when Tesla shipped stripped-down Gen4 ECUs, which lacked CCS support, in current-production cars. If Tesla is having problems outfitting new cars with CCS support because of chip shortages, there's basically no chance that they'd be able to offer retrofit kits. Of course, Tesla could, in theory, sell the CCS adapter without retrofit kits, for the benefit of owners who do have CCS support; but they may be reluctant to do so, since that would create a lot of frustration and confusion among owners whose cars lack CCS support.

It's also conceivable that Tesla is currently building up a stockpile of products so that, when they do release it, there won't be shortages. This, however, is an optimistic take on the matter. Given Tesla's long-standing problems keeping items in stock, I suspect that they'll release it one day and it'll be sold out the next day, and stay that way for weeks.

There is a new firmware 166 which corrects the issue I am told.
By "the issue," do you mean the arc flash warning shown on the Tesla's screen or the scattered reports of failure to charge that I've seen even with 164 and 164-1 firmware?

Maybe its release is imminent, but as of right now, the official Setec firmware update page still shows 164 and 164-1, released in December of 2021, as being the latest. For me (2019 Model 3), 164-1 works, albeit with an "arc flash" warning.

I have to concur that CdM is the way to go. It's going to almost "just work" because Tesla actually supports it, and wants it to work, while with the Setec they actively want to stop it from working. Yes, it's huge, but how do you counter that first point?

I sold my CdM when the CCS came out, before I learned my old car doesn't have the chip. Now I wonder it may be along time before the retrofit of older cars becomes readily available, and it may be time to get a CCS again.

I've had the least issues with my Chad adapter but the CCS is easier to find on the road. If I had to pick one, Setec vs Chad, I'd pick Chad. there is virtually no speed difference between the two.. 44Kw is the max at best. The chad puts less strain on the car's connector with the flexible "tail". But as far as "flash/Arc danger" goes, I've kicked the chad loose by accident trying to put it into place. That locking clip is iffy at best and a damn hazard at worst since it won't actually lock. So caution and re-checking your connection is in order when using either. Not sure I would use either in the rain either.

I keep both in the trunk in a re-puposed soft side dual sided shotgun bag. That way they don't bang against each other or the car.

And you may ask why because I can supercharge? Sure.. at 29 cents per Kw non prime time.. I can get CCS/Chad at my EA station which is 4 miles closer at 31 cents at any time and only pay a small penalty in speed. At 40% and above, my M3 only pulls 50Kw and I get 40ish with the adapters. There is no real reason to use the SC that further away and normally has a wait when I can pay a few cents more for a closer station. So for me, the adapters work out. I also use Charge point and EVgo several times a month.

Reactions: ambudriver03
I've had the least issues with my Chad adapter but the CCS is easier to find on the road. If I had to pick one, Setec vs Chad, I'd pick Chad. there is virtually no speed difference between the two.. 44Kw is the max at best. The chad puts less strain on the car's connector with the flexible "tail". But as far as "flash/Arc danger" goes, I've kicked the chad loose by accident trying to put it into place. That locking clip is iffy at best and a damn hazard at worst since it won't actually lock. So caution and re-checking your connection is in order when using either. Not sure I would use either in the rain either.
I don't know about setec, but the chademo adapter's manual has some warnings about charging in the rain.

I presume your session did not start when the connector become loose (it doesn't actually lock the connector until the charging starts)? My understanding of the CHAdeMO standard is that the station is the one responsible for the locking of the connector (and detecting if the cable is locked), so all Tesla needs on the adapter is a static part for the latch to latch to. This is not the case with CCS1, where the car side is responsible for the locking, thus it can't just be a static part (Tesla was able to come up with a clever mechanism in their CCS1 adapter).

Reactions: jsight
So the Tesla side locks fine.. the issue is the dinky latch on the Chad connector itself. In truth, I never paid much attention to it other than it's stupid easy to knock out ever so slightly moving the cable around or with your toes since it dangles. I've learned to connect the cables.. then plug in the car, then re-check the Chad connection and not touch the cable stepping back :). The clip is controlled by a button on top of the connector. Push down to release. It takes a very firm insert for it to click and even then, it's very faint and may not take. Could be the charger station I'm at. These chargers ( all of them) are not what I would call "state of the art" being 50Kw stations with a very simple menu. But they work and they are free :)

So the Tesla side locks fine.. the issue is the dinky latch on the Chad connector itself. In truth, I never paid much attention to it other than it's stupid easy to knock out ever so slightly moving the cable around or with your toes since it dangles. I've learned to connect the cables.. then plug in the car, then re-check the Chad connection and not touch the cable stepping back :). The clip is controlled by a button on top of the connector. Push down to release. It takes a very firm insert for it to click and even then, it's very faint and may not take. Could be the charger station I'm at. These chargers ( all of them) are not what I would call "state of the art" being 50Kw stations with a very simple menu. But they work and they are free :)
Fwiw, my experience with chademo is the opposite. The cable always wanted to get stuck on the adapter.