Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shall TSLA be added to S&P500? (out of main)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thought this was an interesting post to add to the discussion. Not quite sure it will change the math for S&P 500 addition since it sounds like Tesla will have to be "signifcantly profitable" according to The Accountant just to realize these.

Will be interesting if Tesla can squeeze out just enough GAAP profit in Q1 and be able to take these. Might be a stretch for Q1 eligibility, but something to keep an eye out for.
I was saving this post for quieter times...but since you asked:
The annual 10K comment on the Deferred Tax Valuation Allowance has been consistent for many years....except for this year.
For the first time, Telsa has not stated that "it is more likely than not that the Tax Asset will not be realized".
This change in wording, I believe, means that a partial or full release of the valuation allowance to income is coming soon.
My guess: No later than Q3 2020; however, if Q1 is significantly profitable, they may take it then.
The Valuation Reserve now sits at $1,956m
2014 10K.… it is more likely than not that our U.S. deferred tax assets will not be realized
2015 10K
…. it is more likely than not that the net deferred tax assets will not be realized
2016 10K
….it is more likely than not that its net deferred tax assets will not be realized
2017 10K
…. it is more likely than not that the U.S. deferred tax assets will not be realized
2018 10K
…. it is more likely than not that the U.S. deferred tax assets will not be realized
2019 10K…. We continue to monitor the realizability of the U.S. deferred tax assets taking into account multiple factors, including the results of operations and magnitude of excess tax deductions for stock-based compensation. We intend to continue maintaining a full valuation allowance on our U.S. deferred tax assets until there is sufficient evidence to support the reversal of all or some portion of these allowances. Release of all, or a portion, of the valuation allowance would result in the recognition of certain deferred tax assets and a decrease to income tax expense for the period the release is recorded.

Last edited:
From the main thread:

Q2. FSD "stop at sign/lights" general release seems quite likely, and forms approx. half of the FSD funds held in reserve, which could then be claimed as GAAP revenue in 2020Q2.

There is another chance that we'll see the final tranche of FSD revenue released for 'Navigate on City Streets', although there is no anecdotal evidence yet of this being in the hands of beta testers (early access program). But Q2 is 13 weeks, so there is still some potential...

Overall, I think it's likely about $250M in FSD revenue will be released in Q2. If Tesla can control costs well during the shutdown, there's still potential for that magical "One Dollar" profit for 2020Q2. Then if the sum of 2019Q3+Q4 +2020Q1 net profit is more than $1, TSLA qualifies for S&P 500 inclusion in July, just as the USA starts to come off sick-leave.

Could be a formula for a substantial runup in TSLA. I'll be watching with dry powder.

Cheers!

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Geez. Tesla will bank that deferred FSD revenue for a good quarter, not waste it on Q2.

I don't really see how you can recognize any revenue for features still in beta. Are any of the older FSD features out of beta, yet, according to the manual?

Geez. Tesla will bank that deferred FSD revenue for a good quarter, not waste it on Q2.

I don't really see how you can recognize any revenue for features still in beta. Are any of the older FSD features out of beta, yet, according to the manual?
Everything is Beta:
From Model 3 Manual
Note: The AUTO setting is currently in BETA [wipres]
Note: Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is a BETA feature.
Note: Autosteer is a BETA feature
Note: Navigate on Autopilot is a BETA feature and is not available in all market regions
Warning: Summon is a BETA feature.
Warning: Smart Summon is a BETA feature.

It seems Macy's just got thrown out of S&P500. How does this system work, does it mean that there is a spot open on the list for another company to qualify?
It was replaced with Carrier Global.-

From the rules Doc https://us.spindices.com/documents/methodologies/methodology-sp-us-indices.pdf
S&P 1500 Composite Indices. Changes to index composition are made on an as-needed basis. There is no scheduled reconstitution. Rather, changes in response to corporate actions and market developments can be made at any time. Index additions and deletions are announced with at least three business days advance notice. Less than three business days’ notice may be given at the discretion of the Index Committee. Announcements are available to the public via our Web site, www.spdji.com, before or at the same time they are available to clients or the affected companies.
Deletions Deletions occur as follows:

A company is deleted from the index if it is involved in a merger, acquisition, or significant restructuring such that it no longer meets the eligibility criteria: o A company delisted as a result of a merger, acquisition or other corporate action is removed at a time announced by S&P Dow Jones Indices, normally at the close of the last day of trading or expiration of a tender offer. Constituents that are halted from trading may be kept in the index until trading resumes, at the discretion of the Index Committee. If a stock is moved to the pink sheets or the bulletin board, the stock is removed.

A company that substantially violates one or more of the eligibility criteria may be deleted at the Index Committee’s discretion.

Any company that is removed from an S&P Composite 1500 index (including discretionary and bankruptcy/exchange delistings) must wait a minimum of one year from its index removal date before being reconsidered as a replacement candidate.

It seems Macy's just got thrown out of S&P500. How does this system work, does it mean that there is a spot open on the list for another company to qualify?

This seems to be a good summary:

Macy's to drop from S&P 500 to small-cap index

(Reuters) - Macy's Inc (M.N) will be removed from the benchmark S&P 500 stock index .SPX, the S&P Dow Jones Indices said on Tuesday, as coronavirus-induced store closures compound the retail sector's struggles with a shift to online shopping.

The company’s shares have plunged more than 70% so far this year, leaving Macy’s with a market value of $1.52 billion as of Tuesday’s close, according to Refinitiv IBES data.

“Macy’s has a market capitalization more representative of the small-cap market space,” S&P said, adding that the company would become part of the S&P small-cap 600 index, effective April 6.

[...]

Macy’s will be replaced in the S&P 500 by air conditioning company Carrier Global Corp CARR_w.N.

Carrier was spun out last month by United Technologies in a bid to shed assets to complete its merger with Raytheon Co (RTN.N).

That deal is expected to close on April 3.

Raytheon will be replaced in the S&P 500 by United Technologies’ elevator unit Otis Worldwide Corp OTIS_w.N, according to a statement from the S&P Dow Jones Indices.​

OTOH, does S&P inclusion really matter - now that SP has broken out ?

In my opinion, yes it matters. Inclusion in the S&P 500 index will bring a whole pile of new owners into the company, both the index funds and also other funds that compare themselves to the index. This additional pile of new owners will also bring scrutiny to the company - the company itself, as well as trading shenanigans (as well as deeper pockets to take advantage of things like the MMD).

The net result I believe will be less volatility, and a less manipulable share price. I also think there will be an initial spike in the share price, but the primary benefit will be a less manipulable share price.

Judging from the lack of posts on this thread, I guess everyone's of the opinion that Q1 S&P500 inclusion is now off the table? How about Q2?

My thinking is that Q3 is off the table as well (due to model Y tooling costs being amortized affecting GAAP losses in Q1 and Q2):
Prediction Thread - "You Called It"

We don't have to worry about demand, since all the cars produced will eventually get sold, it's the fact that we've lost almost 7 weeks of production (~50k cars), while still paying people's salaries (opex), that's the pain point.

So if Q4 is the most likely time to be GAAP profitable over 4 quarters, does that push S&P inclusion into Mar '21?

Judging from the lack of posts on this thread, I guess everyone's of the opinion that Q1 S&P500 inclusion is now off the table? How about Q2?

My thinking is that Q3 is off the table as well (due to model Y tooling costs being amortized affecting GAAP losses in Q1 and Q2):
Prediction Thread - "You Called It"

We don't have to worry about demand, since all the cars produced will eventually get sold, it's the fact that we've lost almost 7 weeks of production (~50k cars), while still paying people's salaries (opex), that's the pain point.

So if Q4 is the most likely time to be GAAP profitable over 4 quarters, does that push S&P inclusion into Mar '21?
I assume from "Q1 is off the table" that you are referring to inclusion based on performance in that quarter. Since it is no longer Q1 and Tesla wasn't added, it's certainly off the table, if you meant it the other way.

If Tesla somehow manages a big GAAP profit (~$260M from memory) from Q1, it will be included during Q2, except that I read somewhere that I can't find any more that S&P said they weren't going to adjust the indexes until COVID dust settles. In any case I think this is unlikely.

Any profit at all for Q2 that makes up any loss that happens in Q1 would guarantee inclusion. In fact it would have to be a big loss in Q1 before that mattered; the important thing is just that the most recent quarter has to be a profit. Still, with COVID, I find it unlikely that Q2 will be GAAP profitable.

Q3 resulting in a profit would depend on just how bad Q1 and Q2 are. My belief is that with Fremont back on line and Model Y shipping, it's quite likely that it would be enough, hence inclusion in about the November timeframe.

Failing that, almost certain inclusion after Q4, around Feb next year.

• Helpful
Reactions: Big Earl
I assume from "Q1 is off the table" that you are referring to inclusion based on performance in that quarter. Since it is no longer Q1 and Tesla wasn't added, it's certainly off the table, if you meant it the other way.

If Tesla somehow manages a big GAAP profit (~$260M from memory) from Q1, it will be included during Q2, except that I read somewhere that I can't find any more that S&P said they weren't going to adjust the indexes until COVID dust settles. In any case I think this is unlikely.

Any profit at all for Q2 that makes up any loss that happens in Q1 would guarantee inclusion. In fact it would have to be a big loss in Q1 before that mattered; the important thing is just that the most recent quarter has to be a profit. Still, with COVID, I find it unlikely that Q2 will be GAAP profitable.

Q3 resulting in a profit would depend on just how bad Q1 and Q2 are. My belief is that with Fremont back on line and Model Y shipping, it's quite likely that it would be enough, hence inclusion in about the November timeframe.

Failing that, almost certain inclusion after Q4, around Feb next year.

Yes, I meant Q1 was off the table, based on the quarter's performance - with 20k more cars produced than delivered, that's a cost-of-goods of roughly $400M! That's too much of a shortfall for the revenue from ~90k sales to cover.

I think we agree with the other 3 quarters, except that I'm _certain_ that Q2 won't be GAAP profitable. OPEX is about $1B per quarter, so revenue has to be at least $5B to generate enough gross profit to cover that. With an entire month's production being offline, there's just not enough supply to generate that revenue. Throw in model Y ramping costs, and there's no silver lining left, even with regulatory credits.

• Helpful
Reactions: RabidYak
A lot of zombie companies are laying off huge chunks of employees and the fossil industry alone should see tons of failures over the next few weeks/months.

Does the departure of these companies move up the S&P inclusion timeline at all? The 1Q profit makes this a lock for whenever S&P resumes normal operations. End of May perhaps?

A lot of zombie companies are laying off huge chunks of employees and the fossil industry alone should see tons of failures over the next few weeks/months.

Does the departure of these companies move up the S&P inclusion timeline at all? The 1Q profit makes this a lock for whenever S&P resumes normal operations. End of May perhaps?

Tesla needs (and any company) needs a profit in the most recent quarter (will need to be Q2) for inclusion to happen

Tesla needs (and any company) needs a profit in the most recent quarter (will need to be Q2) for inclusion to happen
That's what I'm wondering here. Will S&P want to avoid looking even more foolish and jump in before 2Q earnings? GAAP profit in 1Q technically makes TSLA eligible, no?

If they wait past June then they're waiting til what......November? TSLA market cap could be sniffing at $200B by then, and that makes for an awkward inclusion ceremony. "America's most valuable industrial company and largest automotive manufacturer in the world is just now being included?"