Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In this article from today it says a 7 cent loss is expected and a 43 cent loss for the fiscal year. I don't get it. Is it just because they can't make their numbers work with Elon's statement about being profitable or don't they believe him?

Forbes Earnings Preview: Tesla Motors Inc - Forbes

Probably a consensus number based on the average of analyst's financial models. After Tesla beats, two days from now, it gives them (the analysts) a reason to upgrade. Their investment arms will all benefit, I'm sure they have accumulated quite a bit over the past few weeks.

30 minutes before closing, Elon posted 2 Tweets:

1) Chris Porritt from Aston Martin just joined as head of vehicle engineering at Tesla
2) Anyone interested in doing ultra hardcore vehicle engineering at Tesla, please apply!

I think that this is responsible, in part, for the last 30 minutes run up!! Good work Elon ... the shorts are panicking !!

What a nice day ($$) !!!

Aston Martin's chief engineer wouldn't jump unless he thought the move eventually would greatly enhance his career and reputation. He certainly wouldn't hop over to a company facing failure. I suspect that during discussions of possible employment he was given advance notice of what would be in the upcoming earnings announcement. Don't be surprised if before he retires, Tesla Motors becomes the world's largest automobile manufacturer.

This is the once in a lifetime stock for which trading range players regularly experience regrets, while long term investors quietly maintain huge smiles. Of course the shorts with their 20th century mindsets just keep getting pounded further into the ground. For those poor souls it’s time to wave the white flag or face annihilation.

This is the once in a lifetime stock for which trading range players regularly experience regrets, while long term investors quietly maintain huge smiles. Of course the shorts with their 20th century mindsets just keep getting pounded further into the ground. For those poor souls it’s time to wave the white flag or face annihilation.

I agree, Curt. My general strategy has been to take advantage of the volatility and rapid ascent with options to generate cash to buy stocks. I have way more stocks than I thought I ever would and even if they move down a bit for awhile I have full faith they will be worth a ton in the coming years.

I'm trying to play it longterm with stock and taking advantage of the ascent with options. Keep adding to my stockpile which is nice.

When I bought my first shares of tsla in June 2010, I was thinking I could make a little extra money.

After I bought and sold twice on the ups and downs, I realized you have to spend a lot of time tracking any and all related news in order to "know" when to jump back in. Too much work.

Since then, I've been accumulating and am quite happy with my average price of $32.50. With just my gains, I almost have enough to buy a 60kwh. But why do that? If I leave it alone, in a few years I could have hundreds of ks of profit. At that time I could buy multiple Teslas.

In case you haven't noticed, I am long.

Aston Martin's chief engineer wouldn't jump unless he thought the move eventually would greatly enhance his career and reputation. He certainly wouldn't hop over to a company facing failure. I suspect that during discussions of possible employment he was given advance notice of what would be in the upcoming earnings announcement. Don't be surprised if before he retires, Tesla Motors becomes the world's largest automobile manufacturer.
I heard the news on the weekend but didn't realize this guy was that big of a deal. I'm really glad I didn't sell my calls today that i was thinking of selling.

Wall St is expecting a loss? Even after Elon has publicly stated they made a profit?

Is there some financial wizardry that allows that? I'm not being facetious with that question since I know there's GAAP profitable and then non-GAAP profitable, but I thought Elon had stated Tesla would be profitable by both measures. Is there some other measure that makes the Wall St expected loss somehow jive with Elon's statements?

That's a small, positive number. The tilde character "~" means "approximately". I accidentally hit it twice, but left it that way cause I figured it stood for something like "about approximately", which indicated a wide range to me, lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Probably a consensus number based on the average of analyst's financial models. After Tesla beats, two days from now, it gives them (the analysts) a reason to upgrade. Their investment arms will all benefit, I'm sure they have accumulated quite a bit over the past few weeks.

Also, many of those projections haven't been updated in months. That index became useless once Tesla announced profitability.

- - - Updated - - -

This.

But the key factor is the development program that he will be in charge of Tesla is going to have the cash to finance GenIII (or possibly Roadster2) and this is the first inkling of that project starting up. There is no way he comes over without assurances that he has the resources to develop new products.

Uh oh -

it's nosebleed time, folks. As I've written earlier, TSLA is my ingle largest position, and with this staggering last several days my overall portfolio is way overweighted with this one stock. If all my other investments could keep up, that would be great....but I hate being this exposed to one position. Ouch.

For the new investors, there is, by the way, another old Wall St adage: Buy on rumours; Sell on news. If true, it means that one can expect a drop after the quarterly comes out. So....

Take the long term view, people. That's my position!

Aston Martin's chief engineer wouldn't jump unless he thought the move eventually would greatly enhance his career and reputation. He certainly wouldn't hop over to a company facing failure. I suspect that during discussions of possible employment he was given advance notice of what would be in the upcoming earnings announcement.

Very good points, especially if they threw him a bucket of options.

Don't be surprised if before he retires, Tesla Motors becomes the world's largest automobile manufacturer.

Might want to temper that expectation a bit... :wink:

As I've written earlier, TSLA is my ingle largest position, and with this staggering last several days my overall portfolio is way overweighted with this one stock. If all my other investments could keep up, that would be great....but I hate being this exposed to one position. Ouch.

Many of us have this same *problem*. Yet logically, TSLA success doesn't negatively impact the rest of my portfolio. That is all still where it is supposed to be. If TSLA hadn't exploded, things wouldn't be out of whack and I'd be exactly on track. So I'm choosing to ignore the current overweight and will just let it ride. It's not that I've overbought, TSLA has overachieved. And I hope it keeps doing that. :)

Many of us have this same *problem*. Yet logically, TSLA success doesn't negatively impact the rest of my portfolio. That is all still where it is supposed to be. If TSLA hadn't exploded, things wouldn't be out of whack and I'd be exactly on track. So I'm choosing to ignore the current overweight and will just let it ride. It's not that I've overbought, TSLA has overachieved. And I hope it keeps doing that. :)
+100 Well said

I'm with Elon, cause he's goin places!!

Yes, to Mars. And he’s not going there until he has enough in his piggybank to afford a ticket.

- - - Updated - - -

Very well stated, Bonnie, and totally logical. The price gains in TSLA shares have no effect on your other holdings. The gains are only good; they have no adverse effect. The growing size of the pie should not not cause one to become concerned about an extra large slice. It should only produce smiles. :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.