Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While the teases are nice, Tesla needs to get their production capability up followed by heavy advertising of the Model S which should help drive more sales.

Tesla does not have a demand problem. No need to spend money/focus on advertising. During the interview EM said that demand will be higher than production capability "for years to come". He also mentioned potential demand of 50 to 60K for Model S, presumably for next year.

Seriously. If you don't invest in a company with a "life-changing" product that's "as cool as I've seen", what are your criteria?
IMO, he's fumbling but what he's trying to say is something like...

Tesla stock is a roller-coaster ride. Both up and down. He can't recommend it because of that, because he can't get a feel for what the chart will or should look like. Put another way, he doesn't know if 50 is too low or 200 is too high. As such, it's difficult to make broad recommendations.

No, they don't. If every -- every -- service center has 3+ fully loaded performance plus loaners that are unsold for more than a month, then they should consider advertising. Not a moment before.

I agree 100%. Also I think advertising cars is 20th century thinking...way too conventional for Elon Musk.
If you don't have a product that customers want then you need to advertise and try to convince customers that they want your product (and in the end let them pay for the ads...). This feels completely outdated to me...let other companies burn their cash in advertisement.
IMO Tesla has the best product by far und thus no need to convince customers with advertising. The cars will sell themselves...people will see superchargers more and more along the road and will be envious that they still need to pay at the gas station. This is quite self evident and will become even more so in the future the more gas prices move up and cheaper Tesla cars will become available (Gen III). I think Tesla will be self-confident enough NOT to advertise (at least not in classical ways) and better use the money for something better.
Just my two cents...

Tesla does not have a demand problem. No need to spend money/focus on advertising. During the interview EM said that demand will be higher than production capability "for years to come". He also mentioned potential demand of 50 to 60K for Model S, presumably for next year.

If you haven't noticed, they've been doing heavy advertising for a couple months now and haven't cost them a thing.

No, they don't. If every -- every -- service center has 3+ fully loaded performance plus loaners that are unsold for more than a month, then they should consider advertising. Not a moment before.

The Watertown, MA Service Center doesn't even have a performance plus yet, just a Roadster and a Standard 85KW.

They offered me a loaner on Wednesday when I brought my Model S in for some minor work (tire rotation, replacement mats, defroster vent upgrade and the replaced the DC-DC converter [apparently my VIN was on a list to have it swapped out]), and when I found out it wasn't a performance plus, I decided just to wait for my car :)

I was expecting a dramatic downfall once it went under 100. It's kind of holding on? I sold some JAN14 options yesterday right at the high of the day (pure luck!) and am trying to decide when to put the money back in. This may be a good point but I already have enough skin in the game so I'll wait.

I'm only in J14 and J15 calls right now. So i'm not fully destroyed from this but it's definitely not a great day. I rolled yesterday to pull out more profits so it's ok so far. As long as we close near 100 +/- $1 i'm happy.

It still has 45 minutes for horrible things to happen to it. I'm holding onto my stock but sort of bummed about the June options. Plenty of time for them to recover but it's looking unlikely. That's how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.