Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta for legacy Model S/X with MCU1 (2022.8.10.8)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First drive:
Thanks. You commented about ~740 TeslaFi vehicles are on 2022.8.10.8 but only 2 have upgraded to 2022.8.10.10. Vehicles with FSD Computer and in North America could get the FSD Beta update, and TeslaFi data seems to show under 50 vehicles matching that. Presumably those vehicles got the computer upgrade because they've purchased FSD Capability. It's still unclear why those other 50 vehicles haven't gotten the update yet, but I would guess many of those don't have the correct RCCB cameras as Tesla Service typically has been pushing back on the camera retrofits for limited supply. So generally only more recent August 2017 - March 2018 S/X would have MCU1 and RCCB from the factory, and some lucky folks got the camera upgrade on October 2016 - August 2017 vehicles that came with RCCC cameras.

Reactions: CodemanCMC
December 2017 MS with MCU1 and FSD just received and installed 2022.8.10.10. I logged many miles on the previous version with the safety score above 90.

I am very appreciative for the update and to be ‘experimenting’ with FSD Beta. I’m sure it will get better, but so far it is underwhelming. I am an engineer so please take this with a grain of salt, but it takes way more patience than it is useful. I remember when I first bought the car and found autopilot to be almost acceptable on the freeway. The usefulness to patience ratio was a fair bit above 1.0, though interventions were common and phantom breaking was a real issue. FSD Beta ratio is near 0 right now. I have been embarrassed nearly each drive I have used it so far.

Again, not complaining. Happy to have it and looking forward to it getting better. I hope my experience will ease the burden of waiting for others.

December 2017 MS with MCU1 and FSD just received and installed 2022.8.10.10. I logged many miles on the previous version with the safety score above 90.

I am very appreciative for the update and to be ‘experimenting’ with FSD Beta. I’m sure it will get better, but so far it is underwhelming. I am an engineer so please take this with a grain of salt, but it takes way more patience than it is useful. I remember when I first bought the car and found autopilot to be almost acceptable on the freeway. The usefulness to patience ratio was a fair bit above 1.0, though interventions were common and phantom breaking was a real issue. FSD Beta ratio is near 0 right now. I have been embarrassed nearly each drive I have used it so far.

Again, not complaining. Happy to have it and looking forward to it getting better. I hope my experience will ease the burden of waiting for others.
The amount of progress over the years has been an ongoing source of disappointment, especially when juxtaposed against promises made.

For me, the AP1 system is capable of probably 85% (made up number for reference) of what the AP2/FSD system is today. Further compounding the disappointment is that I much prefer the AP1 experience within that 85% of features which is capable of delivering. It's just a smoother and more enjoyable UX which is a real indictment considering Tesla parted ways with MobileEye nearly a half dozen years ago now. It's like they're so focused on adding more/new features that they forgot to iron out the kinks on the foundation first.

If there was a way to take AP1 with the newer MCU (only for the responsiveness given by higher horsepower hardware) on a new car at a discount I'd opt for that every time. The phantom braking and other randomness that requires you to take over happens at a much higher rate in my experience than the AP1 solution.

I guess I'm just venting here but I wish they would put just a little more resources into refining what features already exist as those features are still well ahead of the competition. If another established manufacturer that prefers quality over quantity (read: Toyota) comes along with focus on offering their own AP but making sure each feature added performs solid... I'm all over that.

I'm so sick of the never-ending beta testing of products for Tesla. I think this is one of the areas of opportunity for Tesla's competition that Tesla has a blind spot to currently. This is lower hanging fruit that Tesla should really tend to else it come back to bite them. Tesla claims to be driven to fully autonomous driving as a safety measure but one can conclude that this is BS when you examine the wake of "broken" safety features left in the wake of the path to level 6.

Reactions: dbldwn02 and bmah
I'm so sick of the never-ending beta testing of products for Tesla. I think this is one of the areas of opportunity for Tesla's competition that Tesla has a blind spot to currently. This is lower hanging fruit that Tesla should really tend to else it come back to bite them.
Agreed...they're falling behind on the basics with too much focus on "FSD". But that's what happens since they started selling it over 6 years ago.

HDA2+ on my Ioniq5 is so much smoother than autopilot. In my experience, I've had zero phantom braking issues, and HDA is just better at knowing which lane markings to follow. It's never tried to jump into turn lanes or on/off ramps. HDA even aces the wife test, where Tesla's Auto-Steer is never used when she's in the car. Once my car finally gets FSDb, I probably won't use it except when friends insist on seeing it.

Upgrade now queued. I’m overseas for another week or so, but will download and likely install upon my return.
Installed and I’ve taken a couple of test drives. First take is that it’s far less impressive than I expected from YouTube videos. Some outright dangerous decision-making, including multiple attempts to cut in front of firetrucks with lights/sirens on. Will recalibrate and clean cameras (heard that can sometimes help), but otherwise I'm at the point where I'd rather use Autopilot on city streets.

including multiple attempts to cut in front of firetrucks with lights/sirens on
Thanks for confirming your success in getting FSD Beta originally from MCU1/HW2.5(RCCB), and including others here getting it from MCU1/HW2(RCCC), it seems like the main limiting aspect are S/X from October 2016 to August 2017 waiting on camera retrofits. Overall MCU1 with the appropriate hardware (FSD computer and RCCB cameras) should be getting FSD Beta even without pressing the request button.

For the strange maneuvers, FSD Beta is still very much a driver assistance feature not intended to handle every situation by itself, and there's still many "basic" things Tesla has decided aren't critical for safety as the human driver can take over easily such as hitting the brakes for not obeying "no right turn on red" signs as the vehicle would be creeping slowly anyway.

I’m still waiting for a camera invite. My local service center ordered them when I asked them to (mid-year 2026 no nosecone P100D) but then refused to install them when I showed up because they hadn’t been released/cleared for my VIN, so it’s not for a lack of parts.

Tbh I’d have probably bought a new refreshed S plaid by now if I had gotten the FSD I paid for on this older one.

Today on the app I don’t see my safety score and hence no more info about the camera upgrade.

I guess that’s it then.

I did notice this though. What does the (1) mean?

Attachments

• 490F37E0-749E-427D-A59E-93505DB2E096.png
    490F37E0-749E-427D-A59E-93505DB2E096.png
    205.9 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: byeLT4
Today on the app I don’t see my safety score and hence no more info about the camera upgrade.

I guess that’s it then.

I did notice this though. What does the (1) mean?
Not sure what that is...mine is a bit different than yours. I have the cameras already. Still no FSDb though.

You shouldn't have to wait to schedule service for cameras then?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230115-101005.png
    Screenshot_20230115-101005.png
    114.4 KB · Views: 59
Reactions: what-mmc-recal