Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smelly stinky socks / mold in Model 3 AC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla part # 1504932-00-A is now standard equipment. "Wings" on each side of frunk (#14 in diagram) with some rubber seal. However, it's listed as NVH cowl trim so maybe it only helps with cabin noise. I ordered it from service center but haven't installed yet - hopefully the holes line up.

View attachment 963117

View attachment 963118

View attachment 963119
I recall like a couple months back, 3rd party vendors were selling similar products. I was trying to find it to share with @atlchamp but they seem to have disappeared.

found them:

Last edited:
Going to order this for my Y and 3 and try them out asap!

Last edited:
Reactions: Freedom
Don't know how many experience this oder problem.
I have a 14 month old M3, live in Connecticut, and never experienced any odors from the AC. Alway run the AC on auto setting and have not changed the cabin filters.
I usually hear a fan running after I leave the car, only when I was using the AC before leaving. It starts up maybe 5 minutes after leaving the car and stops after about 15 min. I have read the this is programmed to happen in order to dry our the condenser to prevent mold.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC and GtiMart
I have a 14 month old M3, live in Connecticut, and never experienced any odors from the AC. Alway run the AC on auto setting and have not changed the cabin filters.
I usually hear a fan running after I leave the car, only when I was using the AC before leaving. It starts up maybe 5 minutes after leaving the car and stops after about 15 min. I have read the this is programmed to happen in order to dry our the condenser to prevent mold.
Is your overheat protection on or off?

Using Auto without ever using manual recirculation is the way to prevent smells from starting. My car smelled great for about 14 months since new as well until I started using recirc. The auto coil dry feature for whatever reason doesn't dry quite enough now that the smell has invaded the coils. Now I clean the coils every 2-3 months and the smell keeps coming back. I guess whatever bacteria that has taken residence in the coils simply cannot be eliminated completely.

Wish Tesla would update the software to blow dry the coils HARDER. The smell doesn't ever appear in my smelly car if I manually toggle AC off and blow dry the coils at max speed for a minute before locking the doors.

Is there really any evidence to back this up? I never take my climate out of auto and my car still smells. I would also think if this solved the problem Tesla would implement it to happen whenever the car is parked and AC was used.

Do you precondition your car or turn climate on before getting in? You will not smell it if you do because it's cleared in the initial few mins. It only happens if you get in the car without precondition. Only happens if it's the AC turning on the first time and you are there.

Do you use cabin overheat protection? I've been testing this and it seems you do not smell it if cabin overheat activated when parked (cleared it prior to getting in).

Do you have a keen sense of smell? Some people in my car cannot smell it at all and then some people tell me it's gross. My girlfriend likes stinky cheeses and sure enough she can't smell it. I know someone else that can't smell it and it turns out he is on a CPAP machine. Most people when they do smell it think it's outside because it clears up after the initial start. I have to tell them it's the car.

I'm just asking because we always have people that say they don't have the issue. We need more info on it.

Is there really any evidence to back this up? I never take my climate out of auto and my car still smells. I would also think if this solved the problem Tesla would implement it to happen whenever the car is parked and AC was used.
I don't recall where I read that the car is programmed to run the fan for a short time when parked after AC use.
Do you precondition your car or turn climate on before getting in? You will not smell it if you do because it's cleared in the initial few mins. It only happens if you get in the car without precondition. Only happens if it's the AC turning on the first time and you are there.
I generally do not precondition or turn on climate before getting in.
Do you use cabin overheat protection? I've been testing this and it seems you do not smell it if cabin overheat activated when parked (cleared it prior to getting in).
Do not use cabin overheat protection
Do you have a keen sense of smell? Some people in my car cannot smell it at all and then some people tell me it's gross. My girlfriend likes stinky cheeses and sure enough she can't smell it. I know someone else that can't smell it and it turns out he is on a CPAP machine. Most people when they do smell it think it's outside because it clears up after the initial start. I have to tell them it's the car.
Never tested my sense of smell, but I've noticed other cars that smell musty when starting the AC. I used to own a RAV4 that had this problem.
I'm just asking because we always have people that say they don't have the issue. We need more info on it.
Wish I could explain why some cars smell and others don't. I park outside in a driveway in the sun most days.

I keep mine at 70F or less

I don’t want to get into this smell situation. For those of us not there yet, should we proactively replace rhe air filters? Seems if you do not and replace once the smell arrives, it becomes perm at least during airco startup.

Reactions: tm3lrawd
Like removing the 2 week old filters? No, filters aren't the problem like the vendors wants you to believe. I ran the system filter free and sure enough the smell is there. Its a disservice to promote the filters are the problem.
Sounds like you feel it’s a design issue.
How do you explain my friend with a 2018 M3 and never changed his cabin filters?

• Disagree
Reactions: XPsionic