Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 17.17.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's the notes:

6Tyd8sE.jpg

Z9OFlD2.jpg

AP2.0 gets speed limits from GPS only, as far as we know. I assume that's all it means by 'detected', detected on the map database. It may be also language they can use without change when camera detection is enabled.

Someone needs to test this, by seeing if a sign that doesn't agree with the database is detected.

On the rest of the update, excellent. But what's the speed limit for AEB? 28? 80?

On paper the auto high beams function sounds the same.
Can you clarify? The notes sounds like the manual description of auto-high beam, which AP2.0 never actually had.

You push the stalk to turn on HB, and if you have auto on, it's in auto mode, which didn't exist before on 2.0 cars. If auto is off in the settings, it's the normal (old) high beams on and off as usual.

Nice! Is it showing cars in all lanes on the dash display now, as per AP1, or still only the car(s) immediately in front?

Got the 17.17.4 update for my AP2 car last night. The car shows the lanes to the right and left but does not show any cars yet in the side lanes. The picture is only of a car, does not show a picture of a truck or motorcycle yet. Automatic high/low beams now work the same as my AP1 car. The release notes say automatic emergency breaking is active but doesn't say at what speed. The limitation on the 35 mph on local roads has been lifted, now it will go 5 mph over the speed limit like AP1 cars. No rain sensing wipers yet. The car does not seem to "see" the speed limit signs. Drove by several and the picture did not change for 100 feet, probably when the GPS speed limit changed. The self driving is getting better, not quite as good as AP1, but almost. You still need to keep at least a thumb and finger on the wheel at all times to prevent it from swerving over the lines unexpectedly. The car seems to "see" the road better than AP1 even when there are no lane lines but the self driving feature isn't programed to stay between the lines as well, yet. Every update it gets better.

Last edited:
Can you clarify? The notes sounds like the manual description of auto-high beam, which AP2.0 never actually had.

You push the stalk to turn on HB, and if you have auto on, it's in auto mode, which didn't exist before on 2.0 cars. If auto is off in the settings, it's the normal (old) high beams on and off as usual.

The post he responded to asked if AP1 Auto-highbeam and AP2 Auto-highbeam were the same. His (correct) response was that the descriptions provided by Tesla for both are the same.

We'd need a 17.17.4 AP2 owner who had a bunch of experience with AP1 to be able to say anything more than that.

Reactions: chillaban
AP2.0 gets speed limits from GPS only, as far as we know. I assume that's all it means by 'detected', detected on the map database. It may be also language they can use without change when camera detection is enabled.

Someone needs to test this, by seeing if a sign that doesn't agree with the database is detected.

On the rest of the update, excellent. But what's the speed limit for AEB? 28? 80?

I'll test just as soon as I get the update. I've got a local road 1 mile from home with about 500 ft of incorrect speed limit and a highway 10 miles away that has multi-mile stretches with the wrong limit detected.

The post he responded to asked if AP1 Auto-highbeam and AP2 Auto-highbeam were the same. His (correct) response was that the descriptions provided by Tesla for both are the same.

We'd need a 17.17.4 AP2 owner who had a bunch of experience with AP1 to be able to say anything more than that.
Gotcha, 'on paper it sounds the same' sounds like 'no change, what are they talking about?' ;)

Thanks for the clarification!

On my way from South Carolina to Illinois today and as I was getting ready this morning I received the notice that a firmware update was available. I delayed my departure to install v17.17.4. I'm 200 miles into the trip and everything is working great! I've manually driven only about 5 of the last 200 miles. The only feature I am missing from my X P90D APv1 vehicle is rain sensing wipers. This update also includes the menus to all the Easter Eggs as a slide tab from the top of the vehicle info screen you get when you tap on the Tesla T.

This update also includes the menus to all the Easter Eggs as a slide tab from the top of the vehicle info screen you get when you tap on the Tesla T.

That's a nice touch. Elon had said something about giving us a list of them, but this is the first sign of that I've seen. Does it just describe them and how to activate, or do you activate them from this new menu? Pictures? :)