Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.10.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just installed the update this morning and took plumAzul on her standard test course around the neighborhood. I can confirm that for the first time ever, she made it over several blind hills without disengaging or steering a hard right (previous actions on every update since I took delivery June '17). I couldn't believe it so I tried it 3 times. She performed flawlessly every time. I've been waiting for this fix for a long time. She also engaged autopilot on a section of poorly marked road that has never allowed autopilot to engage before. This is in addition to sections of road where AP engaged for the first time with 18.6
Good work Tesla, keep it coming!

Just installed the update this morning and took plumAzul on her standard test course around the neighborhood. I can confirm that for the first time ever, she made it over several blind hills without disengaging or steering a hard right (previous actions on every update since I took delivery June '17). I couldn't believe it so I tried it 3 times. She performed flawlessly every time. I've been waiting for this fix for a long time. She also engaged autopilot on a section of poorly marked road that has never allowed autopilot to engage before. This is in addition to sections of road where AP engaged for the first time with 18.6
Good work Tesla, keep it coming!

Sounds great!! Thanks for the update.

Hope my update gets triggered soon, but looking at Teslafi it seems to be a very broad and fast rollout especially for AP 2.5 cars!! :)

Hey, don't shoot me if it doesn't work, but I've been waiting all evening to go from 2018.6.1 to 2018.10.4. I have an app for my Amplifi router that shows me if devices are downloading anything and my Tesla was hardly moving any data. It even went to sleep.

I decided to walk to the car, got in and hit the brakes to wake it up. I disabled Energy Saving and enabled Always Connected (I had energy saving enabled and disabled always connected). I locked the car and went inside. And guess what? I'm 99% sure 2018.10.4 is currently on its way:

Screenshot_20180315-214939_LI.jpg

It's very unlikely to get any updates to be honest. AP1 does not run on the same software as AP2. In fact, Tesla didn't even write most of the software for AP1, it's mostly MobileEye
ME is just the vision interpretation software. Tesla has implemented the control logic and the radar.

But yeah, 2018.10.4 seems to address the vision issues, and probably little changed to the control logic, so an AP1 car would probably not be different with this software installed.

*UPDATE TO THIS MORNING POST* I have definitely noticed pretty significant improvements to AP. There is a two lane road I take everyday and usually just use TACC since autopilot always disengaged at the sharp corner. This is a 40mph road that at max you can do 30mph around this sharp 90 degree turn. I decided to try it on the way home and it went right around the turn no problem. Heading home wasn't even close to possible before because there is a hump right before the turn on my way home but not on my way to work. I wouldn't have ever guessed it would have made it without me turning it off. It slowed down to 25mph and smoothly went around without the steering wheel turning left and right trying to keep control. One negative thing I did find out though is that my car now reminds me to put my hands on the wheel every 45 seconds. It use to be a few minutes before but I guess they want to be certain you are keeping your hands on the wheel.

Installed the 2018.10.4 update last night and just tested AP2 on Central Expressway in Sunnyvale. While heading south, there are two crests that cross over Wolf Road and Lawrence Expressway. Both crests are fairly high and the change in elevation is about 5 - 10 feet. Prior to the update, the car would navigate the first crest with some slight ping ponging but the second crest would cause the car to swerve sharply to the left then right and occasionally brake hard. I would always end up taking over because the swerve would be so severe that it would head straight for the guardrail on the right.

After the update, the car now navigates the first crest with absolutely no left to right movement and is dead on center. The second crest gets very interesting. In the left lane, AP2 makes no corrections and maintains speed perfectly. This is the first time AP2 has ever negotiated this crest perfectly with full confidence. I decided to go back around and test the right lane over the second crest. AP2 made some very slight corrections but stayed straight the whole way through instead of diving to the right. However, the second I reached the peak of the crest AP2 slammed on the brakes! That was unnerving but at least it stayed straight. There was a car about 30 feet in front of me so I'm wondering if AP2 lost sight of the car in front of me when it dropped down the crest while I was ascending. It probably detected the car in front of me as I dropped down the crest which caused it to brake suddenly. I'll try it again later today with no cars in front of me. Nonetheless, I'm very impressed with the improvements!

Last edited:
OMG! I have a 17 mile trip from a very rural, twisty back road from my house to the nearest Wegmans (grocery store for those not familiar).
After reading the posts here, I decided to go for groceries :)
First thing I noticed was that the car knew the speed limit on the road directly off my driveway. Never did before.
I drove a short mile down the hill myself and made a right. The next 16 miles or so are all back country, winding road which is mostly well marked.
I gave up counting the number of times that I used to have to take over.. Somewhere around 18 I think.
With 10.4 I took the wheel ONCE. I'm not even sure I needed to. I think I was just chicken LOL.
I have an AP2 car (9/2017). I think I've received 6 updates so far..? This is by far the best AP update yet.

Did the car always show the icon of the car in front of me as very light gray when AP is engaged? Maybe I never noticed that before..

There are SO many things this build does right! As others have noted, very stable on well marked interstate with natural lane changes. Holds the center of the lane well. Very smooth in stop and go traffic on well marked local highways. Navigates local roads so much better now... Where it would disengage before, now it drives reasonably well. On curved, uphill crest it stayed centered and did not dive into the left lane. On the road to my house which is uphill, curvy and narrow it did better than ever before although I had to grab the wheel (did I?)

Some other notes... Could not get trunk to open from app? Maybe doing something wrong? LTE speed is significantly faster ... Getting ~1 Mbt/s where before it was around 0.15 Mbt/s. I play music from a USB drive and I think the shuffle is actually random now. I have not noticed a significant increase in center screen or browser speed.

This version of AP is so good, I may wait to accept any more updates until someone else verifies a new update is better :)

Last edited:
I did not see any differences with EAP on my hour-long commute this morning. 95% was highway.

My commute home today on the other hand was better in that the auto-lane change was noticeably improved.

Although slowing for stopped traffic only about 25 or 30 yards ahead is still a bit too slow for my liking.

It still has a problem staying in the lane as well. AP continues to move slightly outside of the traveling lane when the lines disappear, especially on the left. This same behavior is also mentioned in the next post.

Question: For those who have the powered liftgate, does the app allow you to at least close the liftgate remotely? It would be a shame to accidentally open it while it's parked at the airport or some other public place when you're not around and not be able to close it until you were physically there.

Last edited:
I drove mine on freeway and surface streets today. When I was in the left lane and the left line disappeared to open up to a turn lane it consistently tried to veer into the turn lane. It did better on a lane where the lane temporarily widened as you could visually see the wider lane and it kept more to the center but it consistently exhibits a left side bias, which can be unnerving when there is no shoulder on the left, only a concrete barrier. I still find it preferring to be left of center on right curves but not as bad as before. I also encountered a new behavior and that is when a large vehicle was on my right side, it would suddenly veer to the left if it thought I was too close and flash a red warning on the instrument cluster (too quickly for me to catch what it was saying as I was trying to take control back) and make a beeping sound. This happened once with auto steer engaged and once with no AP, no ACC engaged. I had one occasion of hard braking when a car moved into my lane with AP engaged even though it was quite a distance from me. Bottom line is I see some improvements and some areas that still need more work. The interface does seem faster on the MCU but I can't swear objectively that it is as I never put a stop watch to it before. Maybe it is a placebo effect.

I drove mine on freeway and surface streets today. When I was in the left lane and the left line disappeared to open up to a turn lane it consistently tried to veer into the turn lane. It did better on a lane where the lane temporarily widened as you could visually see the wider lane and it kept more to the center but it consistently exhibits a left side bias, which can be unnerving when there is no shoulder on the left, only a concrete barrier. I still find it preferring to be left of center on right curves but not as bad as before. I also encountered a new behavior and that is when a large vehicle was on my right side, it would suddenly veer to the left if it thought I was too close and flash a red warning on the instrument cluster (too quickly for me to catch what it was saying as I was trying to take control back) and make a beeping sound. This happened once with auto steer engaged and once with no AP, no ACC engaged. I had one occasion of hard braking when a car moved into my lane with AP engaged even though it was quite a distance from me. Bottom line is I see some improvements and some areas that still need more work. The interface does seem faster on the MCU but I can't swear objectively that it is as I never put a stop watch to it before. Maybe it is a placebo effect.

Firmwares, especially major NN updates, tend to mellow out as you drive them. Its not proven but lots of anecdotal evidence that they always seem rougher at first and get a lot more consistent as you (and perhaps it) get used to it.

My commute home today on the other hand was better in that the auto-lane change was noticeably improved. Although slowing for stopped traffic only about 25 or 30 yards ahead is still a bit too slow for my liking. It still has a problem staying in the lane as well. AP continues to move slightly outside of the traveling lane when the lines disappear, especially on the left.

Question: For those who have the powered liftgate, does the app allow you to at least close the liftgate remotely? It would be a shame to open it while it's parked at the airport or some other public place and not be able to close it until you were physically there.

Yes I can close the lift gate remotely

The past two days I drove Phoenix to Portland (about 1300 miles) and AP2 performance is now *incredible*! I've driven this route four times previously, but this was the FIRST (and only) time the lane keeping and TACC was 99% perfect. Even the steering thru the curves on I-5 from northern CA into southern OR for the first ever were smooth, perfectly centered in the lane and "no drama". Fantastic. I could hardly believe this is the same car I've been driving for the past year.

Tesla EAP team really hit this one out of the park!!

Lane position was depicted very accurately, and AP stayed exactly in the center of my lane, even when cornering and taking the twisty turns on I5 at 65-75 mph.

And essentially NO panic disconnects! (literally only 3 disconnects the entire route, one was to let an aggressive driver cut in front of me to pass, another when auto lane change wouldn't, and the 3rd one when a beater car wanted to cut in front of me and I decided to back away).

*THIS* is finally (most of) EAP that Tesla promised me in December 2016 when I purchased. Color me HAPPY!

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to this one a lot, but I wonder if they've also addressed the painfully slow take offs. Is the take off from a stationary start behind stopped cars still glacial? Do cars in front still pull away from you long before it takes off and at a faster pace than you do? This has remained a big bugbear of mine with stop and go traffic and TACC.