Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.10.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question out to you guys with 2018.10.4 and Standard Audi System...

The navigation voice is barely possible to hear (even set at max volume) if I drive at freeway speed and have music on 7+. When navigation voice instruction come it will NOT fade down the Audio volume on the left dash speakers. You barely here the navigation voice mixed up with the currently played music. If I turn off the music, the navigation voice is there.

So, seems to be an issue with the function that "lower music volume on the driver speaker, for the navigation voice to be loud and clear".

I know for fact that this is a non issue with the Premium Sound system since I've tested that also. But the Premium HIFI got an extra speaker in the dash so I suspect that what Tesla does is direct the navigation voice to this speaker, but for the Standard Audio system the result is that the nav voice is barely there while playing music.

Anyone else with the same experience?
You can adjust the volume of navigation announcements while one is in progress; adjustments made during announcements apply only to them.

Hi, AP1 owner here, eagerly awaiting on what this one brings to "us" AP1.

So you mention crest of hills smooth ?
What about UI responsiveness or maps? See any improvements too ?

Thanks
Maps feel the same to me... Might be the mcu update that does that but doesn't look like that one is rolling out quite yet. I think users have had issues with reboots.

• Informative
Reactions: AustinP
Can we please kill this entire notion of the repeater cams

Yes, that’s the torque issue, they are still limiting how much the wheel can be torqued by ap, probably for safety reasons but that’s speculation on my part, but the torque piece is limited, but less so then previous versions, maybe June we’ll get something special, maybe...
It has seemed with each of the big iterations of AP development over the past year that they do increase the allowed torque (maybe and/or steering wheel angle?) as Tesla gets more confident with the release.

There's an exit ramp and a particular curve that are sort of my benchmarks. No version since 17.17.4 has managed either, and this one shows the curves perfectly. But about halfway through it just sort of stops trying. The "generations" between 17.17.4 and 10.4 all had either no lane lines at all or crazy dancing lines so they had really no chance of navigating the curve. I hope that they increase the allowed steering actuation soon b/c I bet it could totally take those curves.

Still, the front trunk issue is a real one. Fortunately, it's less of a safety & security issue than inadvertently opening the rear trunk. Just don't keep any valuables in the frunk.;)
I think Tesla's got your back there too, I've parked my car then opened the trunk & frunk from the center display, got stuff out of the rear seats as well as trunk, and came around to the front only to find the frunk had timed out and locked itself. It was still popped up, but you couldn't lift it fully open without telling the car to open it again. Not that I keep anything important up in the frunk (it's usually reserved for restaurant leftovers in transit, or anything small I don't want rolling around in the trunk), but it's good to know I won't have to worry.

Does the Model 3 firmware version numbers follow the Model S ones?

So would it be 2018.10.4 exactly that includes improved EAP or some other Model 3 specific version number?

Model 3 code base is different. It will be a different update that is yet to come out. The NN is compatible so it is just a matter of time before it is packaged in a new firmware for M3.

Noticed something interesting this morning when waiting behind two cars for a turn. The lane markings on the road were absolutely straight, while the two cars in front of me were not really aligned straight, that resulted the display of a slightly curved lane drawing on the screen.

Attachments

• F3F983A6-43D0-433D-BF33-6931E683772C.jpeg
    F3F983A6-43D0-433D-BF33-6931E683772C.jpeg
    391.7 KB · Views: 73
  • Informative
Reactions: plumazul
New update is "smooth as silk" finally. I did get one false braking due to an overhead freeway sign (first time ever at this location). I took the same course a few minutes later-no false positive. Did it learn, or was it a slightly different environment?
Best news is that all my sensors work, including my 4 front facing ultrasonic sensors are now displayed on both screens. With the last few updates, the sensors worked correctly (affirmed by Tesla laptop) but would not display on either screen. This is now cured, and reaffirms that the issue was not my XPel Full wrap covering the sensors.

Last edited:
Reactions: MelaniainLA
One thing I noticed is that my car is sending on wifi about 30Mb for each hour driven so far back to Tesla. Didn't send this much before.

Also, this morning there was fresh snow covering lane markings for 95% of motorway. Managed to activate AP when there was a strip of markings. It drives quite ok without markings. There was a car in front of me all the time. Some ping pong and uncertainty for sure was there, but it didn't quit. Actually the ping pong got worse when traffic started to slow down from 80-100km/h to walking speed.

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Ap1 updated. Crest of hills smooth with no side cameras. It does see Cross road signs which is weird and causes abrupt slowdowns. Waiting on ap2 update...

ONLY uses wide angle camera and radar?!?!? per this reddit -- other confirmations? (i.e. addtl empirical proof via testing)?
AP 2018.10.4 Confirmed - ONLY uses wide angle camera and radar!! • r/teslamotors

Oh, just found another video/test I think in this post: AP2.0 Cameras: Capabilities and Limitations?

Last edited:
Still, the front trunk issue is a real one. Fortunately, it's less of a safety & security issue than inadvertently opening the rear trunk. Just don't keep any valuables in the frunk.;)

I had some time on my hands the other day after receiving the update. So I figured I would call Tesla and ask them their thoughts about the potential security issue of inadvertently opening the non-powered liftgate using the mobile app. Since this action can be completed from anywhere, those with the inability to close the liftgate remotely essentially leave their car unlocked for all to enter.

The response was that they would forward my concern. Speaking to possible solutions, they indicated that perhaps at minimum a pop-up message could be displayed advising of the risk before opening the liftgate. The message would be similar to the one received when attempting to unlock the car remotely.

The Tesla associate also mentioned something about a possible retrofit of some kind for us non-powered liftgaters, but that was not being discussed currently within Tesla as far as they knew.

I really dont see Tesla completing any powered-liftgate retrofits, so I'll continue to plan on purchasing a 3rd-party powered liftgate kit.

As I have read elsewhere, using the app to open the frunk/"front trunk" :confused: and trunk would seldom, if ever be used - kind of like the auto-park feature. The only time to open these doors would be when you are in sight of the car, and normally by using the key fob.

Reactions: ironwaffle
As I have read elsewhere, using the app to open the frunk/"front trunk" :confused: and trunk would seldom, if ever be used - kind of like the auto-park feature. The only time to open these doors would be when you are in sight of the car, and normally by using the key fob.

Right up until the Model S&X no longer come with a fob and start using the phone as a key technology that is in the Model 3.

Reactions: Sawyer8888