Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.14

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ADDENDUM.

Old MCU with new update. Anything would have been an improvement over the old browser, which sets a very, very low bar indeed.

Yahoo.com came up pretty nicely; teslawaze likewise; and bbc.com also. However, could raise nothing on cnn.com and fox.com. Those pages don’t appear to be available on the new browser.

I have the old MCU and just got the .14 update yesterday. Just to let you know, cnn.com comes up for me...eventually. It does take a minute or so before anything appears. I assume you have LTE and not the old 3G module...

Reactions: MelaniainLA
I have the old MCU and just got the .14 update yesterday. Just to let you know, cnn.com comes up for me...eventually. It does take a minute or so before anything appears. I assume you have LTE and not the old 3G module...

Thanks for your comment. I'm not sure what I have but I think it's LTE. Model S75D is a March 2017 build.

I shall have to try getting on cnn.com again.

It’s impossible to get maps OTA. I emailed Elon directly (have his personal email) and got his executive response guy who wrote a long explanation about how the 5GB per car OTA LTE data would bankrupt the company (he even did the math for me!) so it will never happen.

I finally sucked it up and this week bought/installed an AT&T Mobley hotspot in the car with a $10/mo unlimited data plan!! Google it. It installs (clicks into) the OBDII port of the car (takes 2 seconds) and creates a permanent WiFi hotspot in the car with LTE. 1GB included but on the vehicle plan (not available with other hotspot plans) when you exceed 1GB it just slows the connection rather than charging you exhorbitant fees. My cars downloaded nearly 6GB over the last couple days already! Worth the expense!!! And you’ll be prioritized for other OTA updates too!

How does this work in Teslas, is it always on or only when the car is on? On AT&T site it says it is powered by the OBDII port only when the car is turned on and not while off.

I’m sure I am not going mad but on TeslaFi the numbers are reducing for .14 as was 98, then 97 now I see 95. Am I seeing things or are people getting downgraded?
Some of them may have gotten the new 2018.14.2. It’s hiding at the bottom because they messed up and didn’t pull the develop prefix. :D

Three people on it as of right now.

How does this work in Teslas, is it always on or only when the car is on? On AT&T site it says it is powered by the OBDII port only when the car is turned on and not while off.
As usual, don’t believe what other sites say. :D. It’s on continuous. I found a post by @artsci who uses it for his cameras. So, it’s great for hotspots and always on dashcams and the like.

Not much info but ev-fw.com is showing one 3 with 2018.14.1 installed today. Seems like the software folks are working overtime. Will this come to the S and X? Will 14.2 turn into a production release?

And by the way, 14.2 doesn’t really end in ‘86’, those are the first digits of the (mostly useless) hashcode. It was too long to fit with the develop prefix.

I got 2018.14 two days ago here in EU on my S with AP2.5 and old MCU. Not sure if anyone mentioned about the 17" screen maps and I might just be wrong, but it seems like the zooming on the map behaves different than before? Much smoother and also traffic data seems more detailed? When panning/zooming in the map it also feels much more responsive and not as laggy as before even though I have the old maps and definitely not the vector maps nor the new nav in the ICU.

Also, Spotify and TuneIn is MUCH more responsive. When you scroll within a Spotify playlist it is not laggy at all and completely smooth.

Can't wait for the new maps to arrive here in EU and I actually no longer feel the same urge to upgrade the MCU. The old one seems fast enough for the purpose and I'm really happy that Tesla did improve on the code to speed up the UI. Great stuff!

As usual, don’t believe what other sites say. :D. It’s on continuous. I found a post by @artsci who uses it for his cameras. So, it’s great for hotspots and always on dashcams and the like.
I have a dash cam in and it is always on. The only thing that it does not get the read out if the car is "on" or "off" so there is some wiring difference between normal OBDII ports and Tesla.

It’s impossible to get maps OTA. I emailed Elon directly (have his personal email) and got his executive response guy who wrote a long explanation about how the 5GB per car OTA LTE data would bankrupt the company (he even did the math for me!) so it will never happen.

I finally sucked it up and this week bought/installed an AT&T Mobley hotspot in the car with a $10/mo unlimited data plan!! Google it. It installs (clicks into) the OBDII port of the car (takes 2 seconds) and creates a permanent WiFi hotspot in the car with LTE. 1GB included but on the vehicle plan (not available with other hotspot plans) when you exceed 1GB it just slows the connection rather than charging you exhorbitant fees. My cars downloaded nearly 6GB over the last couple days already! Worth the expense!!! And you’ll be prioritized for other OTA updates too!
How did you find the $10/mo unlimited plan? I saw $20/mo

• Informative
How did you find the $10/mo unlimited plan? I saw $20/mo

$10/mo is 1GB LTE then unlimited slower non-LTE. Who cares for Tesla updates which don’t use the full power of LTE anyway! Besides I managed to pull 6GB my first day with it (got maps) because the system at ATT is too slow to realize how much data I ate up all at once! Hahaha

What did the developers do in this release to improve responsiveness on older MCUs? Are they over clocking? Reducing visual transitions/effects?
Probably:

1. Update drivers and utilize the drivers better in their software (eg. make sure everything is done with hardware acceleration).

2. Do what is normal to do during optimization: Use stopwatch tools to isolate the slowest part of code, find a better way to do it, and rewrite that part. Continue until responsiveness is acceptable, leave the rest for future optimization when needed.

Not much info but ev-fw.com is showing one 3 with 2018.14.1 installed today. Seems like the software folks are working overtime. Will this come to the S and X? Will 14.2 turn into a production release?

And by the way, 14.2 doesn’t really end in ‘86’, those are the first digits of the (mostly useless) hashcode. It was too long to fit with the develop prefix.
So, this seems to still be broken. And their seems to be two versions, one with ‘86’ hashcode and one with a full one. Looks (on TeslaFi) like two versions are still showing as repeatedly installing on about 12 cars. I sure hope they are picked QA cars! I don’t think we’ve seen this before ever where all cars for a particular release install over and over. I think once a copy of a demo release escaped and had some sort of similar looping but a car reset fixed it in that case.

In any event this isn’t the normal state (lol) and looks like no one is watching this at Tesla. :( May be Monday or later until we get a fixed 14.2

So, this seems to still be broken. And their seems to be two versions, one with ‘86’ hashcode and one with a full one. Looks (on TeslaFi) like two versions are still showing as repeatedly installing on about 12 cars. I sure hope they are picked QA cars! I don’t think we’ve seen this before ever where all cars for a particular release install over and over. I think once a copy of a demo release escaped and had some sort of similar looping but a car reset fixed it in that case.

In any event this isn’t the normal state (lol) and looks like no one is watching this at Tesla. :( May be Monday or later until we get a fixed 14.2
It could be a teslafi issue. If they are truncating somewhere and comparing it to a full version it will toggle back and forth.

It could be a teslafi issue. If they are truncating somewhere and comparing it to a full version it will toggle back and forth.
They have already said it isn’t. And if it was, there would be equal amounts of each one. :D

Edit: the longer ones seems to be a copy of some of the shorter ones with no TeslaFi account and other weirdness perhaps because of the speed of the data? The header has the long hash then internally it has the ‘86’. All are still about one a minute.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: brkaus