Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.14

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is most likely the case. The develop is messing up multiple parts of the version checking. I’m traveling this weekend but will try to get it resolved tonight.
James, thanks! Be informative to clarify if the ‘every minute’ updates are Or aren’t a TeslaFi issue. Hard to see how that would be the case but with bad (not programmed for) data anything is possible!

James, thanks! Be informative to clarify if the ‘every minute’ updates are Or aren’t a TeslaFi issue. Hard to see how that would be the case but with bad (not programmed for) data anything is possible!

I think it's probably a validation bug on TeslaFi's side (or feature, depending on how you look at it). We already know if you poll a car during a firmware update, sometimes you still get that old 18.xx.yy format before it switches to 2018.xx (git hash). I presume TeslaFi isn't considering develop/2018.14.2 a valid version string and that's what's leading to repeatedly showing it as a new update.

• Informative
Reactions: FlyF4 and boaterva
And, more interestingly, now we have one new install today of 2018.14 (the real version) this AM in Georgia. Would Tesla 'fix' it and reissue it with no version/hash change? I think not..... so, this is extremely weird. (Note that none of the 2018.14.2 'develop' cars are from Georgia or match in other ways, just for the heck of it...) And you could say it had the release from days ago, but I thought the theory was that those had been 'disappeared' from people that had downloaded but not installed them when it was frozen/pulled.

One 2018.14 with others getting 2018.12 (12.1 appears to be a patch for the 3, not a beta, too many of them).

upload_2018-4-15_15-10-20.png

The list of past 2018.14 installs reported to TeslaFi:

upload_2018-4-15_15-4-53.png

A single "rogue" install could be someone where it downloaded days ago and now just acknowledged the download for install, no?
No, we had others deleted. The alarm clock evaporated. We could chalk it up to a a fluke. But still weird.

And James has fixed TeslaFi so we have the ‘normal’ emaii ‘announcing’ 2018.14.2. But is 14.2 a normal release? I doubt it. Have to see if more than these dozen or so cars get it or what happens when development opens up Monday morning.

I noticed this weekend that when the car is in valet mode, the phone app will not open the frunk, even though it asks you if you're sure you really want it open and you click "yes."
Valet mode is supposed to secure things, but wonder if that's a carry over from locking it up on the, um, MCU, um, touch screen.... :D

Could be a reminder that you are in Valet, also. I don't ever recalling that that was the case before or wasn't.... Anyone remember this being so?

• Funny
Reactions: croman
Context matters. Great. We already knew that. Lets move on. English has no real rules and its so organic that hardly anyone bothers to learn or use them properly anymore. Awesome.

Tesla -- where's my maps? Do I need to move to CA to get you to give me the things that I've paid for? If you do this with FSD, I'm going to be pissed...

Someone just got 2018.14 today from an SC (thread on X forum, pointed them here). It's weird that it's out to a couple of people. You'd think it's broken or it's not. Most people are getting 12, which makes sense as the 'current' release.

And @croman I don't have maps either and I've been on 12 for over two weeks. :) Wasn't the 'California' talk for the new Nav, not the Maps? Meaning the Wayzian stuff?

Probably:

1. Update drivers and utilize the drivers better in their software (eg. make sure everything is done with hardware acceleration).

2. Do what is normal to do during optimization: Use stopwatch tools to isolate the slowest part of code, find a better way to do it, and rewrite that part. Continue until responsiveness is acceptable, leave the rest for future optimization when needed.

I’d be interested to know the patch file size for someone who updated .12 -> .14. If what you are saying is true, then I would expect the firmware patch file to be quite large given the number of changes in the code this would require.

I’d be interested to know the patch file size for someone who updated .12 -> .14. If what you are saying is true, then I would expect the firmware patch file to be quite large given the number of changes in the code this would require.
Not neccessarily. A rewritten small module that has been terribly inefficient before, may just be a few kB compiled. I've optimized code to x1000 of previous speed by doing really small, but important changes.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker