Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.18.2 301aeee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was that a like for like MCU1 swap or did you pony up the $3K (what I was quoted yesterday at the SvC as a guesstimate for retrofitting an MCU2 to an MCU1 car) and take one for the team as one of the first to experience this new retrofit that Elon promised?
No, I asked if it was possible to upgrade, but they said it wasn’t possible yet, but I was kind of bummed my mcu had to be replaced before an upgrade was available, maybe I could have begged for a complimentary mcu upgrade.

Anyway, I told them I was reading stuff on the forums but they said they saw some things on the logs didn’t look right. Same thing that happened when they replaced my rear view camera when it was freezing.... I wonder, what do they see that makes them think hardware rather than software? I bet @jimmy_d knows the answer to this! Anyway, I’ve had to reboot 3 or 4 times with the new mcu but at least it can grab WiFi and lte upon reboot....

I’m surprised the number bugs on the last two updates.... makes me think it’s map related. It’s like the bugs were harder for Tesla to squash on the last two rollouts ... that or Doug Field planted some booby traps in the code as he took a leave of absence.

Last edited:
So I compared the old and new (original) equaliser settings that everyone was complaining about as fortunately I had a video of me playing with the equaliser only a few weeks ago. Yes the numbers now go to +12/-12 and before only went to +8/-8 but the number of gradations are the same. I think you're all thinking it's louder because it goes (past) 11. Nowhere does it say the numbers correspond with some kind of absolute measure like dB. I think it's arbitrary...

Updated from 2018.10.4 to 2018.18.2 late yesterday and took the X for a quick spin. My observations so far:
  • noticeable improvement of MCU's browser and maps (not the new ones, just responsiveness of the old ones)
  • faster commencement of an auto lane change, it's almost immediately after setting the indicator
  • overall AP feels less "damped" in situations where quick steering is needed but with a downside that it now acts a little nervous and jerky
  • Auto wipers have improved in dark
  • Autosteer reacts (car wobbles slightly in lane) when wipers move over cameras
  • There are changes in the recognition or classification of objects and lines
The last point I observed yesterday when driving on a road with a shared (for bicycles and pedestrians) sideway. That sideway is slightly elevated, about 30-40 mm (1.2-1.5 in). At first besides the road there is the bicycle lane divided with dashed yellow markings from the pedestrian part of the sideway further to the right. On 10.4 AP mostly but not always recognised the edge of the elevated sideway as edge of the drivable path. In 18.2 there's now a shift towards recognising the yellow dashed line dividing bicycles and pedestrians as edge of the drivable. As a result AP would center the car in a way that the right wheels end up "scratching" at the edge of the sideway or even drive upon it, wouldn't you cancel it.
On the other hand there was a section where a refuge narrows the road. The road there has a bike lane divided by a dashed yellow. Where the refuge is the road is too narrow to accompany both, a car lane and a bicycle lane, and so the car lane narrows while the bike lane stays the same width. With 10.4 it was a 50:50 chance AP would steer to the right into the bike lane to navigate around the refuge. In 18.2 AP made it in 3 of 3 attempts with and without a leading car. Here are 2 pictures from another drive through this section on 10.4:
Refuge further.png
Refuge near.png

As it was raining last night the sight wasn't the best and the yellow bike lanes weren't very visible I have to check again on a clear day if AP still navigate around the refuge using parts of the bike lane.

• Informative
Reactions: jrad6515 and conman
Wifi is not a factor once the "Install" option has popped up.

If updates are failing, it generally indicates a hardware fault. Have the Service Centre take a look.
This is interesting. I called service as soon as it happened and they asked me about wifi/lte connection. They asked if I had good connection when starting the update. According to them I needed to have at least 3 bars available before starting the update. The person on the phone argued that he saw from the logs I only had 2 bars and that it could be the issue... weird.

They bumped my case to a service center, they will look at the logs in detail and get in touch.

This is interesting. I called service as soon as it happened and they asked me about wifi/lte connection. They asked if I had good connection when starting the update. According to them I needed to have at least 3 bars available before starting the update. The person on the phone argued that he saw from the logs I only had 2 bars and that it could be the issue... weird.

They bumped my case to a service center, they will look at the logs in detail and get in touch.
It downloads fully before you ever get the update notification, so it's correct to say that wifi strength shouldn't be an issue for installation.
However, it might be possible that it does some checking over wifi as it installs. Not sure if anyone can report having installed an update with no connectivity at all (eg. get the update notification, then do the install in an underground carpark with no 3G/LTE/Wifi).

Strange, I have only 1 or 2 bars from wifi. Downloaded, according to my TP-Link app, was only at speeds around (mostly below) 0,1 Mbps. I would guess hardware (sensor) fault somewhere.

No, I asked if it was possible to upgrade, but they said it wasn’t possible yet, but I was kind of bummed my mcu had to be replaced before an upgrade was available, maybe I could have begged for a complimentary mcu upgrade.

Anyway, I told them I was reading stuff on the forums but they said they saw some things on the logs didn’t look right. Same thing that happened when they replaced my rear view camera when it was freezing.... I wonder, what do they see that makes them think hardware rather than software? I bet @jimmy_d knows the answer to this! Anyway, I’ve had to reboot 3 or 4 times with the new mcu but at least it can grab WiFi and lte upon reboot....

I’m surprised the number bugs on the last two updates.... makes me think it’s map related. It’s like the bugs were harder for Tesla to squash on the last two rollouts ... that or Doug Field planted some booby traps in the code as he took a leave of absence.
@buttershrimp ...A little off topic. Did your rear camera replacement fix the freezing issue? I've had issues with mine that seem like it is software related (freeze, purple, black, striated multicolor and most recently mirror image). Thx

Strange, I have only 1 or 2 bars from wifi. Downloaded, according to my TP-Link app, was only at speeds around (mostly below) 0,1 Mbps. I would guess hardware (sensor) fault somewhere.
Even 1 bar of wifi should actually be pretty fast. In my garage the car gets 1 bar, and one time I was lucky to catch it downloading an update and it was pretty much maxxing my home broadband plan. Maybe your internet was slow at that time?

Sorry but the signal strength or "minimum 2 bars lte" to install an update is rubbish. My most recent update downloaded and installed at one bar of LTE. That still gives me much better performance than 3 or 4 bars of repeated WiFi.
Also, if the car needed to check the integrity of the download, it would make much more sense to just also download the hashes and do the verification onboard rather than use a network uplink.

• Informative
Reactions: Maniac
Just got my first series of errors this AM out of the blue

Cabin heater disabled
Automatic braking disabled
Cruise control disabled

Trying reboots now followed by a call to HQ

Edit: E-brake reboot, sit for 3 min, hear a bunch of whirrs and clicks, hit the brakes, errors gone.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Sorry but the signal strength or "minimum 2 bars lte" to install an update is rubbish. My most recent update downloaded and installed at one bar of LTE. That still gives me much better performance than 3 or 4 bars of repeated WiFi.
Also, if the car needed to check the integrity of the download, it would make much more sense to just also download the hashes and do the verification onboard rather than use a network uplink.
Integrity check would be an absolutely tiny amount of data compared to original download, so you're right that any connectivity at all would be plenty for a successful installation.
And I don't have any evidence that there's a connected integrity check even required, so perhaps no connection is needed.

Updated from 2018.10.4 to 2018.18.2 late yesterday and took the X for a quick spin. My observations so far:
  • noticeable improvement of MCU's browser and maps (not the new ones, just responsiveness of the old ones)
  • faster commencement of an auto lane change, it's almost immediately after setting the indicator
  • overall AP feels less "damped" in situations where quick steering is needed but with a downside that it now acts a little nervous and jerky
  • Auto wipers have improved in dark
  • Autosteer reacts (car wobbles slightly in lane) when wipers move over cameras
  • There are changes in the recognition or classification of objects and lines
The last point I observed yesterday when driving on a road with a shared (for bicycles and pedestrians) sideway. That sideway is slightly elevated, about 30-40 mm (1.2-1.5 in). At first besides the road there is the bicycle lane divided with dashed yellow markings from the pedestrian part of the sideway further to the right. On 10.4 AP mostly but not always recognised the edge of the elevated sideway as edge of the drivable path. In 18.2 there's now a shift towards recognising the yellow dashed line dividing bicycles and pedestrians as edge of the drivable. As a result AP would center the car in a way that the right wheels end up "scratching" at the edge of the sideway or even drive upon it, wouldn't you cancel it.
On the other hand there was a section where a refuge narrows the road. The road there has a bike lane divided by a dashed yellow. Where the refuge is the road is too narrow to accompany both, a car lane and a bicycle lane, and so the car lane narrows while the bike lane stays the same width. With 10.4 it was a 50:50 chance AP would steer to the right into the bike lane to navigate around the refuge. In 18.2 AP made it in 3 of 3 attempts with and without a leading car. Here are 2 pictures from another drive through this section on 10.4:
View attachment 301011 View attachment 301012

As it was raining last night the sight wasn't the best and the yellow bike lanes weren't very visible I have to check again on a clear day if AP still navigate around the refuge using parts of the bike lane.
Brilliant view with camera! Well done!

This is correct. I ran a test at a place close to the SvC with 1 bar LTE and the result was 14 Mbps.
!I went to the SvC and they told me that some big updates use LTE as well. But little updates like the one we recently got (bug fixes) are sent using wifi.

• Funny
Reactions: PaulusdB