Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39.5 a1c2332 (first 9.0 release)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to TeslaFi, this update is just going out to AP 2.5 currently. Hopefully going wider in the next few days. I'm personally a bit nervous about the huge UI changes in the Model S but will reserve judgment after playing with it for a few days.

I'm personally a bit nervous about the huge UI changes in the Model S but will reserve judgment after playing with it for a few days.
Me too. I hope it doesn’t force all of the “apps” to the bottom of the screen. I like having my rear view camera at the top. Hopefully it will allow just as much or more customization of where we can put all of the information we use the most.

Big improvements in AP in version 9.0.
Seems to be the most agile version I’ve driven yet.
Currently very far from freeways so I cannot test out any of the drive on nav features until Monday.
A few quick observations.
The avatar for my car is noticeably smaller.
I assume this is to accommodate more lanes in the IC
Cars approaching from the rear in adjacent lanes now are visible and identified more specifically by vehicle type.
Cars, Smaller Trucks/Vans & Semi’s…
For the first time ever I was able to initiate an auto lane change on a road that was not a freeway (101)
Although, not perfect, merging or deciding which lane to be in when the number of lanes is either reduced or expanded on the highway seems to occur more intelligently. It now tends to remain in the right or left lane and merge more subtly with less confusion and/or sudden swerving to center in the temporarily apparently wider lane .
Pics of IC avatar, Semi...
1F2257EF-4F71-425E-A436-8A47084C72D1.jpeg

35CC8F82-1F23-405B-BC8C-C6D0B1E468AD.jpeg

Initial thoughts:
Instrument Cluster (IC) displays 360' degree proximity w/t wide field of view (+3 lane left / +3 lanes right)
- ghost silhouette added for Large and Medium sized trucks.
- Anything smaller than a sedan displayed as a sedan silhouette, including people delivering orders in fast food drive through. (first time observation for me at least)

User Interface (UI) for Media Control Unit (MCU) completely reworked.
- NAV always displayed full screen (background)
- Aux App always on bottom (foreground)
- When under NAV Route Guidance if displaying Trip as "Immediate Area" - Orientation is Fixed to 'North'

Enhanced Autopilot (v2.5)
- Improved Lane Transition
- Improved Traffic Awareness
-- Does not "over-brake" when a forward vehicle changes into your lane. (Seems to coast to slow and match speed accordingly)
-- Does not "over-brake" when approaching forward vehicle. (seems to coast and match speed earlier and more fluidly)
-- Did not observe Red-Line "Do Not Cross" Blind Spot Detection. Vehicle merely refused to change lanes.
-- Did not observe "Guide-Line" on IC for Faster Routes through approaching traffic.

Other-
- Regenerative braking resistance felt "heavier".

Overall Impression:
v9.0 2018.39.5 (a1c2332) is not the full featured v9.0 release, but the first of what undoubtedly will be a series of release that progress towards the overall v9.0 construct. EAP update adds significant performance increase; and, MCU redesign is more compact, but forces auxiliary apps to the bottom of the screen (I prefer driving with the rear facing camera open and at the top of the MCU,)

Hi Chaserr,

I installed 2018.39.5 in my model X 2.5 AP this morning.
It is a bit different. Access to all main controls is on the bottom of the screen.
It could take someone 5 to 10 minutes to acclimatize to the new/different screens.

You can run 2 apps. at the same time, as long as one of them is navigation...

I have a short interstate drive in an hour.
I will post again if there is anything interesting in AP on that drive.

Shawn

Software 2018.39.5.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
Does not "over-brake" when approaching forward vehicle. (seems to coast and match speed earlier and more fluidly)

Does this seem to match TACC braking now? On 36.2 (and earlier, not sure when it started), I've noticed that TACC would brake more fluidly. As soon as you engage autosteer, it would brake much harder and keep its distance from the lead vehicle.

On 36.2, you could be on TACC, engage autosteer, and note that the car would drop further back. This was especially evident on close follow distances (1-3).

I hope they fixed that because that's the biggest issue with stop and go traffic on autosteer right now! (especially with lead cars that do not brake gracefully...)

Reactions: djlott
Just had Mobile Service out to perform annual maintenance.. he pushed out 36.2 (I was still back on 34). After 36.2 installed he checked and v39 was not available for my VIN (would not allow him to push it OTA). I am fairly certain I have AP2.5 car as well, and purchased FSD (received the car in late September 2017, placed the order after the October announcement of AP2.5). Seems they are still selectively rolling out to VIN's and it is not a broad release.

Mobile Service was not able to complete the maintenance on my car, so i will be needing to take it into the Service Center in a few hours.. Will poke them as well to see if they have any different access to push/install than the Mobile Service folks, doubt it, but worth a shot!

Last edited:
Read somewhere that the dash cam overwrites after an hour. In the event of a minor fender bender, can you stop the overwrite and transfer the data at your convenience when you get home? Or do I have to carry a flash drive around to download on the spot?
According to the release notes you can press the dashcam icon to permanently save the last 10 minutes.

Ok,
This is curious. In version 2018.39.5 a2c2332 (9.0)
Maybe I missed something…
But there is no reference to drive on nav in the release notes.
I have not been able to find any settings for it anywhere.
When I hit the Settings gear icon in navigation it is not showing there either.
I also tried setting a Destiination that included multiple freeways and interchanges etc. and it still does not offer any drive on nav options.

Ok,
This is curious. In version 2018.39.5 a2c2332 (9.0)
Maybe I missed something…
But there is no reference to drive on nav in the release notes.
I have not been able to find any settings for it anywhere.
When I hit the Settings gear icon in navigation it is not showing there either.
I also tried setting a Destiination that included multiple freeways and interchanges etc. and it still does not offer any drive on nav options.

Yes, did you not read this thread or Elon's tweet about this release?

Does this seem to match TACC braking now? On 36.2 (and earlier, not sure when it started), I've noticed that TACC would brake more fluidly. As soon as you engage autosteer, it would brake much harder and keep its distance from the lead vehicle.

On 36.2, you could be on TACC, engage autosteer, and note that the car would drop further back. This was especially evident on close follow distances (1-3).

I hope they fixed that because that's the biggest issue with stop and go traffic on autosteer right now! (especially with lead cars that do not brake gracefully...)

While a purely qualitative observation, It seems significantly improved from 2018.36.2.
<It seems> The car will attempt to coast to slow (for a short period) and then resort to a physical brake.
<Previously it seemed> The car would -> travel at set speed -> approach forward traffic @ overtake speed -> jam on brakes at preset "N" car lengths -> slow to match speed of forward traffic & trail at preset distance --> rinse and repeat.

While a purely qualitative observation, It seems significantly improved from 2018.36.2.
<It seems> The car will attempt to coast to slow (for a short period) and then resort to a physical brake.
<Previously it seemed> The car would -> travel at set speed -> approach forward traffic @ overtake speed -> jam on brakes at preset "N" car lengths -> slow to match speed of forward traffic & trail at preset distance --> rinse and repeat.

This! Thank you for sharing this. This is exactly what I wanted to get to and glad to see it is happening. Autopilot continues to get better. DON have been cut but even these improvement are significant enough in and of themselves. Whatever issues they've hit with DON, I'm confident we will continue to see progress and eventually get it.

Those of you who have released the 2018.39.5 update and can track the downloads to your car over WiFi: How many GB was the download? Very curious...

It doesn’t seem to have been that big of an update. Only showed 564mb. It has downloaded more data throughout the week so maybe it was the last bit needed to update the car.

Attachments

• A5640887-6C32-4E4E-A6E5-7B51398499E4.png
    A5640887-6C32-4E4E-A6E5-7B51398499E4.png
    115.2 KB · Views: 83
  • Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA